Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Question about Lake Washington... (Read 12215 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Re: Question about Lake Washington...
Reply #15 - 10/03/08 at 05:10:18
Quote Print Post  
Ha!  Sure, blame it on me!  Aw, what the heck: Now that we're bonding... you might as well grow a beard!

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/03/08 at 13:29:59
Quote Print Post  
Rev,
  I have been on the lake 3 times in Sept.  The first two times I was able to get quality fish, but this tuesday, I had a dink fest as you described.  Washingting always seemed to produce good size fish over numbers.  I have noticed this year, that I have caught more dinks than usual.  The other thing that I have thought about, is fishing pressure.  This lake has been getting more fishing pressure.  As more anglers fish, more of the good spots that consistently hold fish will get pressured.  The other thing I do in the fall, which seems backswards but works for me, is to down size my baits, and slow my baits down.

Mark

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/03/08 at 18:21:44
Quote Print Post  
On the money Mark. I was out two weeks ago for just 4 hours and hooked three fish. One went about 3-14 and one that came off at the boat that was about 4-9. Both were from areas that virtually nobody fishes. I was 3 waying ultra slow with J9 size bait. The third was a dink from a pressured spot. The 3-14 spit up a 2" fish that was pretty decomposed but I know it was not a 3 spine minnow. The big fish were really well fed and fought with amazing strength.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/03/08 at 18:27:26
Quote Print Post  
Rev,

Can you say swim baits. I would start throwing these and see what happens.

Russ

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/04/08 at 15:36:47
Quote Print Post  
I certainly agree with the idea to fish locations not usually pressured - coupled with the idea that not all places in the lake have the same population density of baitfish. (Not all fish have the same feeding opportunities). 

As to a magic bait like swimbaits - agreed some baits work better in some conditions, (and those with confidence in swimbaits should throw them), but for 15 years I have not had any trouble catching fish with a host of other baits and I'm not one of those who believes the fish are getting so smart that they will boycott all other baits starting on a specific date and eat only the latest fad in fishing lures. 

I believe as Sarge has suggested, we've just had a number of unique baitfish migrations and seasonal transitions that have overlapped to create a fishing situation that happens rarely.  It won't last long and soon the regular seasonal patterns will kick in again.  I suspect the "fish-in" group will return today with a couple of larger fish - with that many boats out on a 26,000 acre lake, someone always finds a location with a couple of nice fish on it.  And if they all do, then we are at the end of the

I thank everyone who has joined in on this conversation.  This analytical detective work is what makes this sport so fascinating.  I appreciate everyone's input.  It's been fun!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/05/08 at 14:56:52
Quote Print Post  
Remember too that if the fish are being well fed they may not bite as well. They may be lounging around fat and happy. I have always had good luck in the fall with reaction baits. It is not uncommon in the fall to have schooling bass either. Which gives you more fish in certain spots but not spread over all the spots. Two fish on one bait has happened to me too and it was in the fall. Cranks have been nice to me this time of the year. Just some thoughts...

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #21 - 10/06/08 at 03:29:34
Quote Print Post  
As one of the fish-in guys, when I caught my first small mouth bass (2 lber) on a drop shot, there was so many bass of the same size that followed the hooked one up. I thought I found a mother load, fished that area for 2 hours, changed up baits often and techniques and couldn't make another one hit.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/09/08 at 17:21:58
Quote Print Post  
I don't know much about LK WA, and would love to fish w/ some of you guys who have so much more experience.  But I wouldn't sweat it Rev!  I have been out a couple times over that past 3 weeks and ea time someone caught one over 3lbs.  None of them came from the deeps yet.  So the big fish fishing might not be as good for you as in the past, but I am sure you will find them!  I had better luck at the fishin downsizing my bait, but my biggest was 3lbs and I think you are looking for bigger, so I can't say for sure if that helps?  Finally, the one other thing that is still hard for me to do but has helped w/ my small mouth fishing tremendously is to cast everywhere, not just right next to the cover.  A lot of the fish I have (seen) caught this year have come from around (10ft away) the point/dock/grassline but not right next to it - very different than the LM fishing I am used to but it works... still tough to cast into open water though.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/09/08 at 22:43:06
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Truckmusic - I appreciate the feedback.  I didn't mean to give the idea that I have not bumped into a big fish during the past few weeks.  But in my book, only one big fish per day does not make up "a successful pattern".  (Hence I didn't mention the exceptions, and focused primarily on the non-typical high number of active dinks.) Usually at this time of  year you catch bigger fish all day long.  If I gave the impression I didn't stumble across any big fish - I apologize.  It's the lack of consistently putting big fish in the boat that I have been discussing.   It is the non-typical changes in seasonal patterns that intrigued me and caused me to put the topic on the forum.  

You are right about downsizing - it can help.  I tend to spend 90% of my fishing away from the shoreline and you are right on about fishing in all directions.  (Especially when low light conditions exist - the fish tend to spread out.)  Aiming only at the visible structure can leave a lot of smallmouth bass behind.  Many of my best days found the fish nowhere near the obvious structure but out on muddy flats that the underwater  camera revealed as having nothing on it in terms of cover.  Sometimes (when weedlines are present) the bass are as much as 40 feet away from the edge - don't know why, but an angler hanging only next to the cover can leave themselves high and dry at times.

As the initiator of this topic, I now officially put this forum to rest - after all, the calendar has continued to pass by, as has the challenge.  Still, I enjoyed the analytical discussion and thanks to all who participated - especially Sarge! (Fisheries expert extrodinare!)  

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/10/08 at 00:42:28
Quote Print Post  
Rev,

Its Global Warming!!!!!!!!!

Russ

IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/10/08 at 01:09:32
Quote Print Post  
I just read this whole thing. I came to one conclusion. No matter how good we think we are as fisherman we always need to be open to learning more. I know that there have been some great fisherman tune into this thread. Now that the greatest is here all I have to say is this. There really is not anything I can say to add to this and I am impressed with all the ideas and suggestions. Good job here by all!

Mark

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo