Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fishing Tri Cities (Read 2769 times)
Hooter
WBC Member

topwater under a full
moon

Fishing Tri Cities
07/14/08 at 01:49:44
Quote Print Post  
Will be in Hood Park from the 18 through the 28th any GPS cord. for the Snake and Columbia would be great since I have never fished there before.
Any heads up on any dangers would be appreciated.

nightbasser Smiley

SHUT UP AND FISH!!!           I fish because the voices in my head tell me too.
IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Re: Fishing Tri Cities
Reply #1 - 07/14/08 at 02:56:32
Quote Print Post  
A word of warning, stay between the bouys even with the water up there are still shallow spots that can screw up a lower unit. As  far as places, the mouth of the yakama, around the islands in the snake and most points  and edys. While that info may seem a little vag, it will put fish in the boat! Enjoy your trip!

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 07/14/08 at 14:02:29
Quote Print Post  
Brian is spot on about staying between the buoys on the Snake.  This is very important after you pass Hood Park and the barge turning basin upriver from the highway 12 bridge. 
The channel becomes very narrow. Shocked  Travel outside of the buoys only at very slow speeds.  There are numerous single obstacles that can ruin the day for the unsuspecting angler.(Right Lyle?) Cry  There are some great fishing spots available however if you are careful.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/15/08 at 00:53:47
Quote Print Post  
The river has dropped significantly in the past couple of weeks, so I advise you to stay within the bouys and do not attempt to cut close to the bouys thinking they are safe. Give yourself a cushion. I about soiled myself after running close to a bouy inside the channel and ran into about 3 feet near the bout......which is OK, but still, give yourself some room.

As for fishing.....look for current seams, almost like any other type of river fishing.

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/15/08 at 01:59:14
Quote Print Post  
As far as safety, watch the BARGE traffic.  If your not use to it, they can create quite a wake and I have personally seen boats disappear as they go flying by.  You don't have a snorkel so submarine is not in your vocabulary.   Other than that, like all have stated, stay within the bouys and watch any area you decide to venture off into.   Good luck fishing.

Chuck P

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/15/08 at 19:06:17
Quote Print Post  
The 90 degree rule is really important to follow - always come off plane early and then approach shores slowly at 90 degrees..... and vice versa when leaving. Mark Maderos can attest to that, when leaving a shoreline, it seemed we had 14 ft under the boat so he hit the throttle....and we hit a rockpile!!! Luckily, the only damage to his old Cobra was a chunk out of the skeg, but the sounds and impact made us wonder for a moment if there was anything still attached to the cavitation plate of his motor.

Stay safe...and have fun!

Faz

IP Logged

Hooter
WBC Member

topwater under a full
moon

Reply #6 - 07/17/08 at 12:09:15
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Guys! I will heed the warnings.  I just need some good fish stories not painful stories Shocked Will post all my lies uh uh  I mean tales of success  Grin Wink                                                       Nightbasser

SHUT UP AND FISH!!!           I fish because the voices in my head tell me too.
IP Logged

Henry_Dover
WBC Member

Reply #7 - 07/22/08 at 20:46:28
Quote Print Post  
Everything everyone else said is true I learned the hard way just three weeks ago in the Snake, Right now my boat is in the repair shop for a new lower end and glass work $5589.53 to be exact. Sad Even when coming in out of the main channel 9.5 feet turns to 0 before you know it. But for the important stuff always dropshot the backside of bridge pilings, something white..... Wink

Sponsors: &&Denali Custom Fishing Rods&&Matzuo America &&Do-It Molds&&Optimum Swimbaits&&Reins Tungsten&&Boat Bling&&Blackwater International 'Toray'&&Anglers Marine
IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #8 - 07/22/08 at 21:46:24
Quote Print Post  
1st Lyle and now you Henry. Shocked  We are going to start calling the upper Snake River "Skeeter Shoals"! Roll Eyes

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/24/08 at 00:21:43
Quote Print Post  
ok so....i'm heading over in a couple weeks for some fun fishing and wanted to explore the snake.  if you stay between channel markers everything is fine right?  and that sucks henry hopefully its done in time for the tourney

troy

IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/24/08 at 21:01:24
Quote Print Post  
Red Right Return
Someday you will be able to come run up the Yak, come out of Villards and Caseys on plane, and not have to wonder if you are going to wack your lower unit.....I am still waiting for that someday to come, because I still ride higher in the seat driving on plane thru those areas......

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/24/08 at 23:43:23
Quote Print Post  
Brian,

I still can remember that time I ran on full plane from the beginning of Caseys Pond all the way to the bridge and back to the mouth of the river from caseys. When I stopped to fish the point on the corner of caseys and the river another boater motored up to me and ask me how on earth did I just do what I had done. Now being that it was the very first time on the river I said to the guy do what? And he said do you know how shallow this flat is and that their were concrete blocks that sit in the middle of the flat??? I said my sonar looked fine to me and I had no problems.

I guess you could say it was pure luck that I never hit anything in that pond. But the fishing was sure good.

Russ

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/02/08 at 00:00:56
Quote Print Post  
so nightbasser how did you do?  i'm headed over to hoodpark for some river runner this monday through thursday.  should be alot of fun.

troy

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo