Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) lowrance units (Read 2926 times)
bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

lowrance units
05/15/08 at 01:24:26
Quote Print Post  
My boat has just arrived and I have a new lcx25c that I purchased a while back but they tell me that it will not be able to be put on my stratos 486 fish and ski so they want to put an lms520c instead. Does anyone have any info they can help me with?

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Re: lowrance units
Reply #1 - 05/15/08 at 01:32:49
Quote Print Post  
I think they are wanting you to sell your LCX Unit and go buy a LMS 520C from them. They probably are saying that you cannot fit your LCX in the Dash, but personally I think the RAM Mount system is better, The Ram mount sytem is $50 or so and you can mount that LCX anywhere you really want to. www.Ram-mount.com

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #2 - 05/15/08 at 01:50:54
Quote Print Post  
They said that the transducer was to big and it would not be able to be mounted on the boat. So they want to exchange it to an LMS520C but i do not know anything about these units.

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/15/08 at 01:55:18
Quote Print Post  
The Transducer or at least the Shoot Through Hull Transducer I believe is no different in size from the LCX to the LMS, I will check on the web and see.

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/15/08 at 02:08:15
Quote Print Post  
You might have a shoot through hull Dual Frequency transducer, which is roughly about an inch or less longer than the single frequency (Your unit can run off of a single or dual frequency transducer, dual does not really help or hurt when you are fishing 60 feet or shallower). If they cannot fit in a shoot through transducer, you can go into any major Lowrance dealer and trade in the shoot through and trade it for a skimmer, which costs less than the shoot through.

I am trying to save you some money and time here Thomas. If they say they cannot ever possibly fit in a shoot through hull transducer unless it is a LMS series, tell them to get you a single frequency transducer and put in your LCX that you bought. If you are never going to go deeper than 100-200 feet, the dual frequency will not help you.

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #5 - 05/15/08 at 02:51:54
Quote Print Post  
I do not think I will ever be fishing for anything that deep, so do you think that the lms will be fine?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #6 - 05/15/08 at 02:56:42
Quote Print Post  
I have a 332-c and the resolution is awesome....I would recommend a class through lowrance or other vendor....Jeff Boyer does one that I have been trying to get into but is very sporatic to find but everyone I have talked to said they only used one percent of their electronics before this class...thats what doors opened to them.

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #7 - 05/15/08 at 03:04:44
Quote Print Post  
Do not understand Larry, have not gotten that in formed yet. School me. Please.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #8 - 05/15/08 at 03:10:04
Quote Print Post  
see me at the meeting.and maybe even get out on the water to show some features......they have classes running 4-8 hours where you get one on one instruction on all the features of you machine...they run 100-200 dollars each but I am told they are more than worth it!!

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #9 - 05/15/08 at 03:15:57
Quote Print Post  
The problem is that I will be picking up the boat this weekend and I have to decide what unit I want on the boat before I pick it up. At least that is what I would like so that I can start getting acquainted with her before the next tourney.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/15/08 at 04:20:24
Quote Print Post  
your lcx will be better than the lms, not to say the lms is not a great unit, but i had an lcx and and lms and the trandsucer was the same size.  and like nick said you dont need the dual frequency for most tpyes of fishing.  i would grill them and ask very specific questions as to why the lcx will not work.

troy

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #11 - 05/15/08 at 04:33:52
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys, I will be certain to ask as to why they can not put the lcx on the boat for certain. And if anyone has anymore info that may help me you can reach me at 206-992-5574. The more info the better I say.

Thanks,
                                                  Thomas

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #12 - 05/15/08 at 17:50:57
Quote Print Post  
They are trying to jerk you around possibly.  No offence, but they know when someone comes in to buy a boat and they don't know all what they need to know from the get go.  Don't know what dealer you went though, but thats why I bought an off brand boat cause they know whats going on.  Anyway, you can mount a lcx on a ram mount and be just fine, just be aware of the lack of driving vision off to the side of you.  They may be saying its not possible due to the bigger windshields ?? I never crawled around Ron's boat enough to be certain, but you have got enough info to go on now.  Ask them the questions and let us know how it comes out.
May just be the size and space on the fish and ski  Undecided

Both units are top of the line, but if at all possible- LCX is the shiznit, and it could take years to get used to it, but so be it. GO BIG !!

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo