Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What's the word on the tournament this weekend? (Read 5274 times)
WCCT
Ex Member

What's the word on the tournament this weekend?
04/21/08 at 02:24:30
Quote Print Post  
How did everyone do this weekend?  I was down at Tenmile for NW Bass.  It was my first time at that lake and I can honestly say, the first of many Wink  We only weighed in 11 1/2 pounds, but considering the weather, which was rain, wind, 2" of hail and snow, I wasn't too dissapointed.  There were some huge bags weighed.  There was a bag just over 20lbs, and a couple in the 19 range I think.  That lake has some quality fish in it and it is one of the prettiest lakes I have ever fished.  I am qurious about the Silver tournament and the Open.  Hopefully you guys did better than us Grin

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: What's the word on the tournament this weekend
Reply #1 - 04/21/08 at 02:53:24
Quote Print Post  
The Potholes Open was won with over 43lbs of smallies and 2nd had 43 and change as well with smallies.

The largie bite was good as well but with the cold front shut them down pretty hard as 39 teams blanked on the first day out of 121 teams. There were 7 teams  i believe from WBC who fished this and our team was the only one in the money, for 17th place. We finished with just under 21lbs. We had 12.88 for 3 fish on first day and 7.81 for 2 fish on 2nd day.

You had to be patient to get the largies to bite and not be in any hurry to move. Caught all of our fish on Jigs.

Water temps during practice were 56 and ended up at 50.5-51 in the dunes. Snow , sleet, wind, and hail plagued some patterns.

We fished deeper than usual 7-10 feet for most of our fish and some in shallow .

There were 3-4 fish over 7lbs caught-largies and several nice 4-5lb fish brought to the scales.

Russ

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/21/08 at 03:31:08
Quote Print Post  
the silver lake draw was much of the same maybe worse i'm not sure.  i had heard temps were as high as 60 the weekend prior and main lake temps on sunday were around 46-47 degress with canal temps near the same.  my one fish of 6.38lbs led the field on the first day which saw near blizard conditions which trimmed the maybe twenty boat field down to seven boats i think for sunday.  fishing conditions were absolutely brutal.  more snow fell saturday night/sunday morning and temps were 33 degress in the morning.  more fish were caught sunday with brian walker take both top honors and big fish with an 8lb monster to anchor a 15lb bag to easily win the tourney.  I will say i dont think we will ever have another tournament like this ever again, and if we do i'm not staying  Grin.

many took pictures so i'm sure they will post, oh ya and phil did a awesome job as tourney director!

troy

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #3 - 04/21/08 at 04:42:22
Quote Print Post  
Here is a slide show of the "Festivities" at Silver.....
glad to be one of the few who boated fish...Thanks again Ron for convincing me to stick it out!! Wink

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #4 - 04/21/08 at 04:57:10
Quote Print Post  
That tournament was unreal.  I think Ron summed it up best, " this is at tournament you will never forget ".  Fishing in the snow, its something new thats for sure.  I'd be afraid to yell NET, your co-angler would break 3 rods and the windshield running to get the net, it was slick. 
No fish for me and Susan, maybe next time.  Need to learn to fish SLOW and weightless..
Here's some pics that we took. 

Ron will get a kick out of the last pic
  Shocked Shocked HUGE

Great job Phil as the tournament director as well.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

BBQpro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/08 at 15:15:53
Quote Print Post  
Wow - Those pictures from Silver Lake were awesome! Not nearly that cold, but still pretty cold, at the Open. Congrats to everyone who stuck out the draw tourney.

Lesson #1 from the Open: Don't talk too much smack before hand or you may just ruin your fishing karma.  Grin Terry and I had to cut our tournament short due to lower unit issues. We lost engine use after about 20 minutes into the tournament, used the trolling motor to fish our way in, and ended the first day early. Many congrats to the Magician/Technician Team for finishing in the money again! They deserved it after a brutal tongue lashing from the TD during the driver's meeting!!!   Cheesy

Chris

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/21/08 at 17:51:43
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Chris,

I was surprised to see that the rest of our guys either blanked or had only one or two fish for the entire weekend or gave up after the first day. Huh Huh

We didn't feel it was that bad just a liitle colder than ususal. We caught some fish in less than a foot of water and felt you just had to be patient and had to commit to an area in order to weigh some fish.

We decided that from the get go that we were going to commit to largies and not panic when they moved deeper into the brush due to a cold front. We stuck around and it payed off. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Our lesson learned was make sure the net is ready at all times before you pick up your rod. We lost a fish on friday that would have put us up in the top 5. Thats fishing!!

Russ

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #7 - 04/21/08 at 18:10:06
Quote Print Post  
Any website with the full standings and pics from the Potholes Open ?

Good job Russ and Mark.  How did Mark and Nick Barr do ?

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/21/08 at 18:15:33
Quote Print Post  
Chris,

That would be a double zero for both days. Chris seeing you stand in that snow makes me just shiver and say I will pass.

Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #9 - 04/21/08 at 19:39:02
Quote Print Post  
Great Job Russ and Mark....you guys were definately focused in the face of adversity. All anglers have to be commended in what I can say is one of the most freakish of springs I have ever seen.......as we go forward may we have warmer Grin....and less..... damaging Cry.....trips ahead.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/21/08 at 21:16:17
Quote Print Post  
Climate change is the real deal....................................

Chris - That picture says it all.......................what a dandy.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #11 - 04/23/08 at 04:32:51
Quote Print Post  
Heres a pic I found on LLBC.  Thanks to Roger MadDog Mosley for shooting the pic.  Awesome fish Henry.  At the meeting I thought you said you were a smallmouth guy  Huh

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #12 - 04/23/08 at 05:28:47
Quote Print Post  
While scoring fish both days, taking 1st and big fish was great, I can honestly say that it is only because I have had the honor of learning from those in the club who were willing to take the time to show me how it was done and how to apply different techneques to different conditions.  Smiley

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/23/08 at 05:42:45
Quote Print Post  
Ok, here is my report for Mark and I (Team Super Glue)

Friday, Huge white caps out on Lake, during the ride, Marks Trolling motor CRACKS AND BREAKS without us knowing it. Pull up to the first sport in the dunes and to our amazement the trolling motor almost swings underneath the boat. The Metal where the hinge pin on the back just cracked and SNAPPED RIGHT OFF. So we faced some adversity with the trolling motor, Mark and I managed to find a decent pattern and some places to fish after he catches a 5 lber. and snaps off on a 4. The rest is history. It was just not our weekend. We learned a lot and Mark needs to go to the Minn Kota Warranty Center.  We tried to use some heavy SUMO GLUE and it lasted for about 3 seconds in the morning and came apart again. So Mark was up on the front doing the 2 step to keep the trolling motor from making a large clanking noise every time he let off the pedal. (Hats off to Mark for that, he is pretty talented).  Me and Mark had fun and Mark caught his largest Potholes LM on Friday.
Congrats to everyone who caught fish.
Congrats to Russ and Mark

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #14 - 04/23/08 at 06:37:32
Quote Print Post  
Super glue is NOT an option for repairing minn kota motors.  I tried that myself a couple of weeks ago.  Needless to say I voided a warranty and the guy at Anglers Choice chewed me up and down for trying to fix my button with super glue. Grin  It was a $220 lesson learned. Cheesy

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo