Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Clear Lake Ca (Read 3645 times)
Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Clear Lake Ca
10/09/07 at 00:41:43
Quote Print Post  
Well the report from Clear Lake was not a very good one.

From the time we arrived until the time we left the wind was blowing. Last October we went down we caught a lot of fish. This time was very different. The spots we fished last year were almost unfishable due to very low water levels and weeds.

Thursday afternoon we headed out to fish even though the water was like Westport! But only having 3 1/2 days to fish we were going out! We took the cover off of the boat and Henry's rod tip got caught in the cover and broke the tip off of his flipping stick. We launch the boat and start making our way up the lake very slowly. At this point I am cursing out Clear Lake for the wind. Bad idea. Within 5 minutes after cursing out the lake we spear a huge wave and get completly soaked. After we stop laughing I notice that my fish finder is gone! There is 3 wires hanging out of the boat where the unit used to be. Neat. The wave ripped it right off the boat. They don't float very well either. Thats charma for you. I learned that if I spear a wave I am going to hold onto my new fish finder.

I think we ended up with 20-25 fish total. We caught them on jigs, senkos, dropshot and yes minnows. We were so frustrated by Friday we bought minnows and even that was slow.

All in all it is better than work. Even if it costs you more money than you had planned.

Mike

Misunderstood

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: Clear Lake Ca
Reply #1 - 10/09/07 at 03:27:33
Quote Print Post  
Mike,

You should have gone to the scholarship event. You would have caught more fish and had more fun. I had a buddy who just came back from there and said the same thing. His biggest was over 7 but fishing sucked.

Glad to hear you guys had fun and didn't lose more than the fish finder.

Russ

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 10/09/07 at 13:53:38
Quote Print Post  
There was a major Stratos "T" down there just two weeks ago that I was planning on going to.  I couldn't because it conflicted with my ABA "T".  

The folks I talked to after the event all said the same things.  LOW WATER!  WIND!  POOR FISHING given that it was Clear Lake!  I wish I had known you were headed down there, I might have saved you some money.  

The level at Shasta is extremely low also, but it has concentrated the Kentucky Bass and the fishing was pretty good last weekend.  That word is from a former member of the club, Scott Rameriz.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/09/07 at 15:11:29
Quote Print Post  
Harley fished that event. But don't know how he did.

Shasta is always good no matter how low the water level goes.

October is one of the best times to fish for spots.

Russ

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #4 - 10/09/07 at 15:14:42
Quote Print Post  
Yes Smitty, whe we crossed Shasta it was as low as I had ever seen it before.

Russ

For me FAT floats so I am not to afraid of going overboard. As far as Henry goes well..... He would be in trouble.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/09/07 at 17:32:16
Quote Print Post  
Is the low water levels due to lack of rain?  Is it a typical seasonal thing?  There was a clip on CNN yesterday about Lk. Lanier in GA being 10' down.  The cast said it is due not only to drought, but mainly due to the fact it is the main draw for Atlanta's water supply.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #6 - 10/09/07 at 18:16:29
Quote Print Post  
Shasta always drops over 100' each year. Shocked  Clear Lk also drops but not nearly as much as this year.  I heard it was down between 5' & 7'.

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #7 - 10/09/07 at 18:19:37
Quote Print Post  
JW

I would assume that the level of water being so low would have to do with lack of rain. Henry and I went down last October and it was nothing like this. Actually I think you were down there at the same time?

Anyway I asked the locals why it was so weedy. They told us that the clarity of the water was great almost all year and it caused the weeds and the alge to grow more than normal.

High or low I still love the lake. Will be back down in April and I am hoping to take 2 weeks off this year.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/10/07 at 00:09:05
Quote Print Post  
JW,

Thats funny about CNN talking about Lanier. I have fished that lake many times in the past when it was about 6-8 foot down. Thats another great Kentucky Spot lake. I have a Kentucky Spot mounted on my wall in my office thats almost 8lbs. I love that lake. I have fished many tournaments on that body of water.

Russ

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/10/07 at 00:19:50
Quote Print Post  
Caleb and I have also fished numerous tournaments on Lanier.  We've found that later in the year we do pretty well with a dock pattern.  Not sure what our best stringer was but we finished in the top 5.

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/10/07 at 00:34:42
Quote Print Post  
Never fished Lanier unfortunately.  The problem is atlanta has grown so quickly during a time when there is a downward trend in precipitation.  The segmant showed long dock at lauch sites completely dry.  Some folks that moored their boat at marinas started to take the out of the water in early August.  Unless things change, severe water rationing will take place.  Watch the price of Dasani water.  It is a coca cola product and is fitlered water from the municipal water supply.  OK, back to Clear LK.  Look on the bright side Mike, ya get a new graph now.....  I hope to head back down this Spring.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/10/07 at 23:22:33
Quote Print Post  
That's the beauty of Nintendo fishing, droughts aren't included.

IP Logged

Harley
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/13/07 at 21:01:29
Quote Print Post  
Hey All yea I did go down and fish The clear Lake stratos Tourny.  Well very very low water, we had wind the first 3 days. Then just great weather but tough fishing.  Most of the spots we fished last couple years was dry or almost dry. I Slipped a disc in my back the day before I left so that sucked.  I ended up not fishin the last day of the tourney way to much pain.  We had a hard time finding bigger fish.  We caught one about 150 yards off shore in 60' of water that weighed 9.8 and was real skinny only had one eye and at one time had to weigh 14-15 lbs the mouth one that fish was insane. I still haven't figuerd out the frog bite yet still trying.  I hope all is well you all.  Harley Cheesy

IP Logged

Harley
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/13/07 at 21:04:42
Quote Print Post  
Smitty as for Shasta we drove around for 3 hours trying to find a launch that we could use and not one had water even close.  We drove down to one that we must have went 3 miles down from where the water level in the spring.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #14 - 10/15/07 at 13:40:43
Quote Print Post  
I talked with Scott this past weekend Harley. He told me he had been launching at Packer's Bay.  That's the launch I was trying to describe to you on the cell phone.  I just couldn't remember the name of it. Huh
One thing is for sure, once the boat is in the water it's one he!! of a long hike up the hill to the parking lot. Tongue

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo