Normal Topic Split Rings on Crainkbaits (Read 2046 times)
Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Split Rings on Crainkbaits
09/05/07 at 21:38:07
Quote Print Post  
Ok so I'm pretty sure that this topic has been covered before but I was just looking for some input.  I was wondering who ties to the split ring that came with the bait and who just ties straight to the bait.  Does anyone use a snap in place of the split ring? 

Thanks,
Joel

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: Split Rings on Crainkbaits
Reply #1 - 09/05/07 at 22:51:37
Quote Print Post  
Joel,

For me it depends on the bait used and how lazy I want to be.

For most jerk baits I tie direct to the eye and on cranks I tie to the split ring.

Now if smallies are throwing the bait with the ring then I will take the ring off and tie direct.

Russ

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/06/07 at 01:40:24
Quote Print Post  
I love crankbaits!  And I have spent alot of time (I'd hate to admit how much time) trying it all:  tying directly to the bait, tying to the split ring, and using a snap both to the bait, and a snap to the split ring.  I've watched the wiggle, the tuning, the way fish react to it - and I have personally concluded this:

1)  When snapping Jerk baits, I like to tie directly to the bait.

But with regular cranking...
2) it really doesn't matter! 

I may change dozens of crankbaits in a morning and a snap allows this without having to retie every time and it doesn't seem to make one bit of difference to the fish! 

(Now, a warning:  DO make sure you actually snapped the clip.  My old eyes sometimes get fooled, and I will occasionally come back with an open snap and no crankbait or fish!  Embarassing!)

Just one humble opinion based one person's experience!

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/06/07 at 06:30:05
Quote Print Post  
I use Norman speedclips (the smaller one - 25lb strength). It doesn't seem to affect the action but makes changing out baits a real "snap"..... I can even use the same rig for the 4/0 or larger G-Lock hooks and even big Jig'n'Pigs when throwing heavy rigs, makes for a quick change.

my 3.5c (2007 inflated prices)

Faz

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo