Normal Topic So close...yet so far.... (Read 2021 times)
DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

So close...yet so far....
08/20/07 at 13:56:43
Quote Print Post  
We fished the last ABA "T" of the year at Lk WA this past weekend.  It was imortant for us to finish well as we were in 2nd place for "Anglers of the Year".
Having been away most of the week due to a death in the family, I was unable to take the time to mentaly and physically prepare myself and my gear.  As a result, I lost a SMB my partner and I both estimated to be over 5 lbs.  Shocked It came on the 3rd cast of the morning on a RC 1.5 that I had hastily tied on in the morning darkness in the Coulon parking lot before launch.  I had tied a knot poorly and lost not only the very large fish, but also a $15.00 Lucky Craft  plug. Cry  That loss of that one fish cost us 1st place.  Although we did manage a 4th and big fish of the day, it was not enough points to put us over the top. 
A great lesson was relearned this weekend in taking time to prepare properly for an event if you want to win.  Now on to the Tri-Cities and the NW Championships in September. Smiley
On a side note, I can personally attest that "Frog Toggs'" rain gear will only marginally work in the kind of rain we had on Sunday.  They are ok for an emergency set that are lightweight and don't take room in the boat, but not up to a monsoon.  Shoulda taken the time and packed my Cabella's Guidewear. Undecided

Smitty

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: So close...yet so far....
Reply #1 - 08/20/07 at 16:51:53
Quote Print Post  
Smitty - Tough luck. Goreat story and lesson learned.  Thanks for the information on the frogg toggs.  Was considering a purchase due to the light weight nature, but now will stay with what I have.

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 08/20/07 at 21:13:13
Quote Print Post  
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes Smitty.  Still sounds like a fantastic year.  Boy between you, Wolsky and Hendrickson, you're making quite a dent in the big T's this year.  Thanks for posting even the not so goods and maybe somebody else will learn from it. 

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #3 - 08/20/07 at 21:50:09
Quote Print Post  
I never repeat never tie a clinch knot Terry.  I always tie an improved clinch on crankbaits and jerkbaits, but I just couldn't see to make the 2nd loop for the improved clinch which has never failed me. 
Why not the palomar you ask?  Well I won't tie a palomar with most baits that have multiple hooks as they seem to hang up on the line and potentially nick it when you make the final swing through the loop in the knot tieing process.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/20/07 at 22:27:37
Quote Print Post  
I was out there from 4am to 9am. You guys had it rough. Hats off to you for coming up with a good bag in that weather.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #5 - 08/21/07 at 01:30:30
Quote Print Post  
Tough break.  I bought the frogg toggs and returned it right away.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/21/07 at 05:02:52
Quote Print Post  
great job smitty way to go and keep up the good work, i can  sight with you on the guide wear itll hold up to anythin washington can dish out and well worth the  $, sorry about the big fish loss we all know those hurt the most but the bright side you still got big fish

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/21/07 at 05:27:30
Quote Print Post  
Sorry to hear about the big one that got away.  Cry Unfortunately we all get in a hurry sometimes and things like that occur. Way to stick with your game plan and make the best of it. You guys did great this year.

As far as the rain gear I only wear Helly Hansen its expensive but when it is storm proof and wind proof it can't be beat.

Congrats again on a great year.

Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo