Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) lower columbia launch site (Read 21481 times)
Troy
Ex Member

lower columbia launch site
06/19/07 at 03:46:25
Quote Print Post  
unfortunetely i wont be able to make the meeting so could someone post where we plan on launching for the next tourney.  i dont want to schedule everything so late like i did for banks.  thanks

troy
« Last Edit: 06/21/07 at 04:35:55 by »  

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: lower columbia launch site
Reply #1 - 06/19/07 at 23:40:37
Quote Print Post  
Are we still having it at the Lower Columbia. The last I heard was that there was talk of changing the lake????

Russ

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/20/07 at 20:44:25
Quote Print Post  
Hey WBC-  Here is my opinion on changing locations.

I hope we do change tournament locations...I would rather see us go Tri-Cities instead.  Fishing the Lower Columbia River has very strong currents, large barge waves, heavy boat traffic and lots of unmarked rocks....just ask Jeff Boyer.  Yes, the Tri-Cities has some of these same  problems but the weather will most likely be very warm and stable.  Also, a lot of big $ tournaments are held in this area which would help some of our WBC anglers who someday may want to step up and fish with the big boys.  The experience fishing this section of the Wallula Pool would really be invaluable to them.

I know Mark M. and Daryl S. will disagree because they love the Lower end, but I  just don't think there's that many people excited to get their prop dinged or transom ripped off.  Take a look last time we held a tournament there a couple of years ago...17 people total...the lowest turnout at a WBC event since I've joined the club! If we lived near Vancouver or Portland and had a little more experience on this body of water then maybe it would make more sense.  Unfortunatley, most of us weekend anglers, only have so many days to take off of work and make these long road trips.  Most of the times we choose Banks, Roosevelt, Potholes or Tri -Cities not the Lower Columbia...I wonder why?

Just my two cents.

Bob

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/20/07 at 23:53:33
Quote Print Post  
This suggestion was raise at the April meeting.  It was voted down because of a lack of 2/3 majority.  I guess if someone wants to readdress this they have the right.  As far as the original thread the location for the lower columbia is still a bit in the air.  The Vancouver site is an option as is Kalama and Longview.  I personal think that Vancouver would be the best for facilities (camping/launch).  If someone wants big tournament experience then Kalama is the best choice.  Weather usually isn't an issue in August but one can never tell.  Its about the same distance from here to Potholes but much closer than Banks, Roosevelt and Tri-cities.  And although I agree with having tournaments with the greatest opportunity for attendance, but if that's our basis then we should consider dropping the jack and jill tournament because historically its the lowest attended tournament by far.

IP Logged

Jack
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 06/21/07 at 00:10:36
Quote Print Post  
I usually don't chime in on this sort of thing, but this time I am.  We as a club actually voted on the tournament locations and this one won for the month of August. What is the point of voting if it can be changed later down the road?  I have made arraingments for my daughter to spend time with relatives in Portland so we can fish this event.  Botom line I guess is I am fishing the Lower Columbia August 25-26.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/21/07 at 00:16:55
Quote Print Post  
I will chime in as well,

Even though I won't be making it to the river event, Jack does make a valid point. If tourney times and locations are voted on lets make sure we keep it that way. Some of us plan way in advance due to the kid issue and it is hard enough as it is with those with kids to get a sitter.

As far as the Jack & Jill- The last couple of years participation has increased and it is one of those events I love to fish and I'm sure others who have fished this event will agree. I think last year we had about 14-16 teams fish the J&J with the Karpenko's winning it. I think if you got rid of it you would have several angry adults and I don't think you would want that.

Russ

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/21/07 at 00:24:40
Quote Print Post  
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to drop the J & J.  Just saying if we use attendance as a guideline for where we fish then...

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/21/07 at 00:36:05
Quote Print Post  
Doug,

How the Lower Columbia got voted in as a site is beyond me when nobody showed up for the last one? Maybe we should look at how we vote for a lake before making it final?

Russ

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #8 - 06/21/07 at 01:13:47
Quote Print Post  
First of all, are we launching out of Camas or Willamitte? And second, while I have heard the pro's and con's of the lower columbia river we as a CLUB voted on it dispite past turnouts and other concerns like unmarked rocks, barge wakes and strong currents, and while I myself do like other bodys of water more this year, I will be fishing it with those who want to embrace this new body of water.  Once we as a club figure out how to fish it and produce numbers and quality fish that usally is enough to get us to fish it again and have higher attendace. Remember the first Chelan tourney?, there was a great concern fo the high winds they get now and then, and here we are getting ready to fish it for the 3rd time now. I just think we should stick to the scedule unless there are some lujit reason that would put us and our club at high risk. My 2 cents...... Brian (The Weedwalker)

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 06/21/07 at 02:49:22
Quote Print Post  
Well crap, I find myself agreeing with Brian on this one. GADS!  Shocked  Jack makes an excellent point too that's hard to disagree with.

I'm all for fishing the lower Columbia.  I'm looking forward to some "new" water (even though the club fished it back in the early 90's too).  Been a long time since I've been there.  Only this time I hope to avoid beaching the boat!  Grin

So.... 2 questions:

1.  Where are we staying?
2.  I assume we need a fishing license if we plan on fishing the Oregon side.... or....is that off limits?

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/21/07 at 04:48:19
Quote Print Post  
everyone brings up valid points.  tri-cites would be a great venue and it does provide experience for clubbers for larger venues, but at the same time i think i remember a few years ago the lower columbia hosting a northwest bass tourney as well so.  and who knows maybe some tricks you learn on the lower river could help you succeed on other areas of the columbia.  I for one would embrace the challenge of the lower columbia and look forward to fishing some of washingtons moving water. 

and as far as barge wakes go, bring em on. team tracker has yet to back down from big waves this season  Cool

troy

IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/21/07 at 05:31:39
Quote Print Post  
i thought the club allready voted on it but launch sites were still up in the air, willamete launch is the best i think having launched there for prefish for northwest but gotta remember lic stuff in oregon too. just my two cents. as far as being more unforgiving seen bigger waves on tricities. if youve never fished it get a map, watch the channel markers and talk to someone who has fished it its a great untapped fishery- nothing like river smallmouth Smiley Smiley Smiley oh ya make sure your stuff is running good.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #12 - 06/21/07 at 05:37:09
Quote Print Post  
Even though I will miss the clubs event at Lower Col. I am all for going there. As a matter of fact, Chuck Pique and myself will be going next week end and have a qualifier there on the 14th. of July. Tidal waters are few and far between and when I watch the tournaments on T.V. I could not even fathom how much work goes into figuring that phenomenon out! I Zeroed the first day of our last event there but caught 13.00 pounds the second day to take third!
We will be glad to share the info gained from our experience for the members afterwards and before the clubs event in August. 
We have to take these challenges with style and with the caliber of anglers we have here......some big bags will come out of this!! Wink

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/21/07 at 06:09:26
Quote Print Post  
Everywhere we fish has big boat waves and wind and rocks to hit. Personally, I would not like to see the club make a habit of changing lakes mid-season that were already voted on. Considering gas prices, I also like seeing a few venues that don't require towing over the pass.

Chris

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/21/07 at 16:21:42
Quote Print Post  
Amen to that Chris Smiley
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo