Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) lower columbia launch site (Read 22507 times)
marktfd88
Ex Member

Re: lower columbia launch site
Reply #30 - 07/07/07 at 16:40:19
Quote Print Post  
Im in for a hotel.  The fishing near the Portland area of the Columbia is just way to good to run down river.  When getting together with a few guys, the cost of a hotel compareable to the cost of camping.  Organizing it so there is a group together at one hotel will be just as fun.  Larry, can you say panty raid at midnight???? Shocked  If we pick a small out of the way motel / hotel, we could still easily organize a potluck for Sat. night.  I have some friends down there that can help in that department.  Scout out a few places for us.

Mark

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #31 - 07/07/07 at 17:35:35
Quote Print Post  
Honestly, I just wanna go fishin'!  Wherever we fished out of last time was perfectly safe and there were some nice fish caught.  If it's going to be hotel/motel I'm all for it.  I think people just want to know so they can make plans.  Mark, thanks for any info help you can provide.  We are definitely getting down to crunch time and I'd hate to have a poor turnout based solely on we didn't make arrangements to stay.  Guys, keep putting the ideas out there if you know of anything down there.  I am not familiar with the area, but will do what I can to facilitate this.  I think we have a case of "someone else will take care of it" going on.  Ideas??

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 07/07/07 at 22:05:54
Quote Print Post  
i'll do the hotel thing too.  i too just wanna go fishing.

troy

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 07/08/07 at 00:28:58
Quote Print Post  
So a little research show me around 50 dollars a night for a double queen room.  So 2 - 4 people a room, break up the cost.  About the same as camping.  These are places like Motel 6, Comfort Inn, La Quinta, Days Inn.  Near the Airport and just a short drive across the river and we could launch at the Camas Washougal launch or launch where we did last time.  The key to making this fun is getting a decision on where to all stay so as to hang out on Saturday night, have a poker room, a tv room, potluck and all be together to keep an eye out on each others stuff.  The best deals I found were thru HOTWIRE.COM.  The wont' specify the hotel until you pay, but their 2 star hotels are previously mentioned.  All good hotels around the airport.  There price was 42 a night right now. 

Mark

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #34 - 07/08/07 at 00:45:58
Quote Print Post  
That sounds great!!  Any is fine.  How do we choose and just go for it?  Thanks Mark.

Team A$$pocket!!"

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 07/08/07 at 01:42:11
Quote Print Post  
I haven't heard back from the hotel that I contacted for the group rates.  Like I said in the previous post, prices would probably be around $30 to 35 dollars per person per night in a two queen size beds in a room (2 people per room).  I'm not sure what the camping rates would be in the outlying area but I'd bet that they'd be around $20 a night.  These rooms with have AC, TV etc...
As far as the river and launch, it will be as safe or safer than any of the other places we fish.  The only question is whether or not someone wants to go to the trouble of getting an Oregon permit for those interested in fishing the Williamette.  If we fish out of the Kalama we would still need one for the Scapoose Bay area, plus there is another tournament fishng out of the same area only on the Oregon side that same weekend.

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #36 - 07/08/07 at 20:35:41
Quote Print Post  
Doug, If the better rates are near Kalama, then by all means lets do it!. I too am just interested to get the launch site in concrete so we can get on with making the nessisary arrangements. What is the difference in the drive to Kalama vs. Camas? Is there a launch fee at either one? Just some thing to think about....

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 07/09/07 at 01:44:39
Quote Print Post  
Ok guys and gals,
 Here it is,

Big Fir Campground and RV Park
http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=AoefHxNZj.vbXofqbZV1LaKHNcIF?id=37974134&sta...
 1 800 532 4397

They have individual sites and a group site.  I will reserve the group site.  It will hold 4 tents and rigs.  Maybe more.  They also have individual site at 17 bucks a night.  Call them early to get yours reserved.  It will be about 5 miles to get to the launch.

We will launch at the Port of Camas / Washougal
[url][/url]
         www.portcw.com
 Parker landing  
It is a big launch site with 4 lanes and plenty of parking for us.  Fee is $6   It will give us good access to all the fishing area's in the Portland area and make it easy for guys to run up river.  The thing about the Washougal flat is there is plenty of room for guys to fish and alot of good rock piles and sink holes on the flat.

For those who don't want to camp, there are plenty of good hotels across the river by the airport.  Any questions, give me a call

Mark

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 07/09/07 at 02:44:07
Quote Print Post  
Has anyone been able to talk with Jim R. recently about where we'll actually be able to fish?  I understood when I last talked to him at the Banks Lake tournament that all sloughs, tributaries and river systems on the Oregon side were going to be off limits because it required an extra permit and more $.  Can anyone refute or substantiate this issue?

Mark, thanks for doing all the homework regarding camping possiblities for all of us... It all sounds good to me.  One quick clarifying question however, is this now for sure the confirmed launch site?  Do we need some sort of OK or confirmation from Jim as to where we'll be launching?  

I found the following rules in our Bylaws- it does state the Touranement Director chooses the launch site...see below

Weigh-In

There will be only one official check-in point as designated by the Tournament Director

Restricted areas
Any closed waters and off-limit areas for the tournament will be determined by the Tournament Director

For what it's worth, I second your idea of launching out of the Washougal/Camas launch site.

Bob

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #39 - 07/09/07 at 03:34:27
Quote Print Post  
Let's get this set in stone from Jim and move forward.  Mark, thanks for all of the legwork.  Anybody have a way to get a hold of him?  I thought that in order to fish the Oregon side it only required a Oregon state fishing license to fish any tributary on the Oregon side.  Our permit is for Washington which is where we are weighing in.  At least that's the way it was when I fished Scappoose Bay with NW a couple years ago.  Had to have an Oregon license to  fish because the weigh in was Oregon, but the Washington tributaries were not off limits.  Either way we've made headway thanks to Mr. M. Wink

Team A$$pocket!!"

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 07/09/07 at 03:55:12
Quote Print Post  
Yeah,
  I spoke with Jim R and Doug B.  This is a go.  The only snag left is for people to show up and fish.  By the way, I did  not look into getting an Oregon permit.  We need to have an Oregon permit if people want to run up the willamette or any of the sloughs off the willamette.  As I understand it.  I plan on just fishing the columbia myself.  Plenty of big smallies in the columbia.  If someone has a honey hole up the oregon side and wants to persue getting an oregon permit for the club, by all means do it.  I for one am not going to chase that dog.

Mark

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 07/09/07 at 05:02:47
Quote Print Post  
thanks mark and others for getting this thing figured out. 

troy

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #42 - 07/09/07 at 05:26:15
Quote Print Post  
Well it looks like we're launching out of Camas, but I figured I'd post this picture of a largemouth that my friend caught out of a slough downstream from Kalama.  He caught it on a spinnerbait when we went out for a few hours.  It has a bloody tail, whats up with that I though this was July? Grin

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 07/09/07 at 20:24:45
Quote Print Post  
Called Big Fir today and made a reservation for the big group site that can hold 8 - 10 people in 4 to 5 tents.  The site has power and we can share to make sure everyone gets bateries charged.  They also have some individual sites left to call early to get your spot reserved.
  If you use the web links I posted earlier you will be able to see where will launch from.  I have used this launch 3 different times myself and it is excellent.  lots of dock space and out of the main river area.

Mark

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #44 - 07/10/07 at 21:59:21
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
To All that are fishing the qualifier,

Note!! I was out looking around the Federation Web page on the qualifier and its states:

SPECIAL NOTE:  You must have an Oregon fishing license to fish this tournament  ( this is clipped from the webpage)

I Had one message written but you get this one instead....Just got a call back. 

I spoke with Gary Morris (Federation President) and he said, you aren't required to have an Oregon license to fish in the tournament, but if you intend to fish Oregon waters then you must have your oregon license. Meaning if you stay in the Columbia, then a Washington license is all that is required to fish the tourney, but if you find yourself in the wrong slough, buyer beware. So for Non-boaters you better have one, to avoid sitting watching your boater fish. Boaters, unless your prepared to tell your Non-boater, no Oregon waters, you better have an Oregon license too. 

If you need one there is a True Value Hardware in Rainier, Ore across the bridge from Longview that is 8:30am to 5:30pm and they take only cash for licenses. Specifically, no credit cards, debit cards, or out of state checks. 

Steve 253-691-6905

I'm sure our tourney will be the same.

Team A$$pocket!!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo