Normal Topic Taking a blueprinted prop through the dunes (Read 1643 times)
Chris B.
WBC Member

Taking a blueprinted prop through the dunes
05/14/07 at 21:46:04
Quote Print Post  
Does anyone do this, is it a good idea??  I have 2 props and they are both "built" and I'd really not like to ruin one, any further.  I dinged it barely last year at Moses and that was enough to make me  Angry  I don't have much dune experience, last year me and Jose ventured back a bit and I was lost haha.  Driving all over the place to miss little weedy patches, and I was no where near far back.  Does everyone enter the dunes at the same place?  Guess I'll just fish mostly smallies..

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: Taking a blueprinted prop through the dunes
Reply #1 - 05/14/07 at 22:50:04
Quote Print Post  
Buy an aluminum prop, don't lose any sleep over the 0.8 mph you're losing, and go fish for largemouth!!!  Shocked  Wink

On the west side of the dunes, the key is finding the BIG DUNE. The locals have a different name for it that isn't quite appropriate for the website. As you're going into the dunes, keep the big dune on your immediate right. After you pass it, look for various channels that head in different directions. There is one main channel that heads toward the peninsula separating Crab Creek from the west side. That channel will eventually get you back to the Job Corps levee (website won't let me type the legitimate word, d**e!), which is as far as you can go. It is impossible to explain how to get places in the dunes, but the water is so high right now you should just bomb back there and start fishing. You can run almost anywhere there is water safely...

If you get a good draw, follow one of the old timers back there...  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 05/14/07 at 23:17:36
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Sarge, just the post I was looking for.  Just some reassurance is all. I took my 9 foot boat back in the dunes years ago, as I said at my first bass meeting  Grin  I was amazed when I saw bass boats flying out of there full speed, after I drove back in there over a half hour with my 3.3 horse  Roll Eyes

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/14/07 at 23:18:23
Quote Print Post  
Yes Chris B,

Follow One of the Old Timers (Chris Sarge) back there. No really he is right the lake is at very full pool right now and you can run over at high speed any of those twigs that are out of water. Heck you should see what I put a wrapped boat thru. Shocked Shocked Most people shy away from the dunes because they are intimidated by the size-don't be because you can break it up into smaller pieces of a lake and fish each bay/pothole individually.

Stay left of big dune then veer right and go north. You will find many good places to fish.

Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/27/07 at 04:51:49
Quote Print Post  
Even when its not full pool, you can pretty much just run back there. Just keep any land even on both sides of you is a good rule of thumb. There isn't much back there to hit but sand. You can power through most of the shallow spots. You may get stuck here in there in late July-August if you aren't careful. make sure in the summer you know which direction is out. You can hit a lot of dead ends and it all looks the same sometimes trying to get back out. I have heard of people staying the night out there after getting lost.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo