Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!! (Read 2545 times)
DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!!
05/09/07 at 14:31:31
Quote Print Post  
I've been using "Tom's Outboards" in Olympia to service my Evinrude engines for several years and have yet to be disappointed in the results.
However, yesterday they set a new standard for excellence.  My engine was getting very difficult to start and I naturally figured that it needed a change of sparkplugs.  That's something most anyone can do unless your engine requires that the plugs be "indexed" when installed.  
I called a local respected dealer in South King County, and upon describing my dilemma was told to schedule it in for a checkup in 2-3 weeks with an anticipated minimal cost of $100.00 plus parts.  NOT!!
So I decided to bite the bullet in fuel costs and tow it down to Olympia. I called Tom Monday afternoon and was told "This is our busy time of year, but if you can get it down here tomorrow between 5 and 6, I'll check it out for ya and see what I can do".
Leaving work in Renton at 3:30, I was home, hooked to the boat and after enduring the rush hour traffic, in his parking lot at 5:15.  To my dismay, I noted two large boats including one from the State Police in front of the bay doors and being actively worked on.  To boot, there was another boat being checked out in the parking lot.
To make a long story shorter, I was almost immediately taken care of, my engine was plugged into the "laptop of death" for an analysis.  The LOD made some noises, the lights blinked, a download commenced and in less than 3 minutes the technician "Dr. John" said "Lets give it a try now."
I barely touched the key and the engine fired up just like new.  In short, I was on my way back to Kent before 6 PM with all the new computer upgrades now in my engine and the starting issue resolved.  The cost?  ABSOULUTELY NOTHING! Shocked  
When I offered to pay the reply was don't worry about it, it didn't take me enough time to resolve your issue to warrant filling out a work sheet. Smiley  

THAT IS AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!! Smiley

If you have any model of Evinrude of Johson engine I suggest you try "Tom's Outboards" in Olympia.  He also handles Honda engines and will service EFI or Carbarated Yamaha's and Mercury's.

Smitty Wink
« Last Edit: 05/10/07 at 13:39:31 by DUNE HOPPER »  

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!!
Reply #1 - 05/09/07 at 15:46:09
Quote Print Post  
Sweet post, Smitty.  It is a huge relief to the mind and pocketbook that you have such a dependable service technician to help with your equipment.  I can only imagine the traffic issues you where facing.  I am so glad to be where I am.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 05/09/07 at 16:07:19
Quote Print Post  
There is a reason many of us call HiWay 167 AKA The Valley Freeway, "The Valley Parking Lot"!  However Kirk, I don't envy your long drive every day, especailly in the winter.  Tongue

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/09/07 at 16:21:06
Quote Print Post  
This is off your subject some, but I consider the time on the road, rather than distance.  I have a fellow employee in Puyallup that travels the Valley Parking Lot and HWY 18.  We have timed it, and left home at the same time.  Although I drive 39 miles further, I arrive 9-12 minutes before he does.  I don't consider the winter travel any more difficult than sitting in long lines of traffic.  My only concern, though my commuter gets 35 mpg, is $4.00 + per gallon of gas.  OUCH!

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #4 - 05/09/07 at 18:46:58
Quote Print Post  
Very relieving that you got some great customer service, at this time of year especially.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #5 - 05/10/07 at 02:28:12
Quote Print Post  
Sounds great Smitty.  I was just about to ask for recommendations on Johnson/Evinrude shops.

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/10/07 at 02:32:14
Quote Print Post  
Yep, I worked fot Tom during Winter Break. They are a top notch E-Rude and Johnson Shop.

-Nick

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/10/07 at 03:18:55
Quote Print Post  
Smitty,  now that's what I'm talking about!!!!!! That is exactly the service needed in this area, and especially for the bass boat guys.  That dealer will get more business by assisting now and you spreading the word.  Hey, when I get my boat, because I plan on a RUDE,  I'll definately keep them in mind.  Great post and give them all the business they can.....Man,  what a dealer.

CHuck P

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #8 - 05/10/07 at 03:33:34
Quote Print Post  
Definetly hard to find good help now a-days.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

bassboattech
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/10/07 at 04:00:52
Quote Print Post  
wow i didnt know state police had boats, with all there new cars out there i gotta watch out for boats now too Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

I'll drink to that!"

Reply #10 - 05/10/07 at 13:38:42
Quote Print Post  
I think the police boat was for saltwater Dan.  it was a very large rigid hulled inflatable with twin 200 hp Hondas.  Shouldn't be too much of a problem for your Gambler heh heh Smiley

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo