Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lake WA 2007 (Read 7106 times)
Chad S.
Ex Member

Re: Lake WA 2007
Reply #15 - 05/11/07 at 21:39:25
Quote Print Post  
unfortunantly the best of the northwest circuit is cancelled for this year, so there will just be tons of boats out prefishing for nwbass.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #16 - 09/11/07 at 16:53:12
Quote Print Post  
I hit WA yesterday 9-10-07 Got there at 9am fist hour I got a 3.5 2.7 1.3 I never counted how many I got the rest of the day but it was a lot 30+ Lot of 1.5-2 lb. I only had one fish lost all day it was a 3+ got her right to the boat & my line broke. At 2pm I got a 5 lb out of 35 feet of water  Smiley Was a very long fight she was very old cause had cataract in both eyes I released her & she swam down but when I went back to that spot an hour later she was floating belly up  Cry  I am not sure if I should have fizzed that fish I don't catch many fish from water that deep & have never fizzed a fish b4. How can you tell if it needs to be done?
Any how after that I got a 3.7 & a 2.1lb around 6pm called it a day.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/11/07 at 17:02:28
Quote Print Post  
Bass,

I would fizz all fish caught 20 feet or greater. You will notice quite quickly when the fish has trouble going back down.

Russ

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #18 - 09/12/07 at 16:11:51
Quote Print Post  
That's a heck of a day.  I went there yesterday from about 2-5 and was only able to get a 2.5lb as the biggest bass of the day with other 1.5-2lb fish.  I was fishing mostly in the 20-35ft range.  Maybe I should've gone a little deeper for the bigger fish.  I think someone on this club that said that if you fight the fish too long, the overdose of adrenoline (spelling?) can kill the fish.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/14/07 at 05:53:29
Quote Print Post  
Absolutely - playing a fish too long is extremely harmful!  During the winter I bring fish up from 50 feet and NEVER fizz the fish because I get them up to the boat on a fast elevator!  I then watch them swim straight to the bottom on my depth finder.  No trouble!  The fact is, most of the time those smallies are heading for the surface themselves - even to the point that sometimes I can't wind fast enough to catch up to them.  Why (if depth change alone was harmful) would a fish voluntarily commit suicide?  They wouldn't!  

Sometimes in a tournament, I've seen an angler who doesn't want to loose a fish and so they play it, and play it, and play it.  I've forgotten the scientific language that explains what happens to the fish's flesh during an exhausting fight, but it's bad news.  I'm not against fizzing, but you have to know what you are doing or you end up doing more damage than you fix.  

By the way I did get out on the lake Monday for a couple of hours in the morning and managed to catch 6 smallies - the largest was 3-8oz.  They came out of the mid 20's in terms of depth.  But the experience also confirmed my belief that more North Winds occur on Mondays (my day off) than any other day.  Just a theory - but then my perception is my truth, heh?

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #20 - 09/14/07 at 16:34:54
Quote Print Post  
Chuck I might have played the fish little to long but every time I got her next to the boat she would make a run back down. When I let her go she went straight back down. I would wonder how many times we let fish go & think they are ok but later they die.
I returned to the spot 1 hour later only to find her dead. When you pull a fish out of deep water how many times have you gone back to check that fish did not die?

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/15/07 at 07:32:14
Quote Print Post  
It's possible that more fish die than we are aware of, but in the winter time I may spend all day in one area - and I've still never seen a fish floating in all the 17 years I've fished the lake.  (with the exception of perch, that is)  But that doesn't mean there wasn't something else wrong with the smallie you caught.  Like people, there are healthy ones and unhealthy ones.  Maybe it had a bad ticker or something.  The depth you caught her in was not that deep.  We may never know what caused it.  I've heard other folks tell me they've  had a "floater" after catching them in 3 feet of water - so go figure!

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/17/07 at 20:01:09
Quote Print Post  
I think you are right on, Rev. Fizzing is tough to do well, and it is much better to just play the fish quickly and let it go. You definitely risk poking an organ when you try to fizz.

BassAholic - If your fish swam down fine and then came up floating later, it is unlikely that a bloated gas bladder had anything to do with it coming back to the surface. Once a fish gets back down to the depth it was at, it would be almost impossible for its gas bladder to pop it back up to the surface. The pressure of being underwater wouldn't allow that to happen.

Chris

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo