Normal Topic before we ck the tacke ck the boat and traliers (Read 2518 times)
bassboattech
Ex Member

before we ck the tacke ck the boat and traliers
04/12/07 at 04:46:27
Quote Print Post  
ill try to make this brief, for the new season i allways repack my bearings and replace the seals i hate it when i see that poor guy on the shoulder with no wheel, so i repacked my bearings and low and behold grease that smells like i just burnt something in the kitchen. good thing i carry spares and went and bought new spares, well job well done and dont forget to retorque wheels after 50 miles and yes they were loose. air pressure too it says right on the tire. these things are so commanly over looked and become bad fishing days if we even make it to the lake. and dont for get that fuel our gas now to say it nicely sucks siphon it out nad mow the lawn with it, least its not wasted.......good fishing season to all and be safe out there

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Re: before we ck the tacke ck the boat and tralier
Reply #1 - 04/12/07 at 05:46:52
Quote Print Post  
Also check the bunk boards.....found out one of my hull bunks is rotted around the screw mount....just ordered some pre-cut carpet and got some treated 2X4s to replace both hull bunks since I am there. Tongue

IP Logged

M_Fields
Forum Member

Support the Troops!

Reply #2 - 04/12/07 at 16:25:25
Quote Print Post  
That is all sound advice.  It should not take something to break before we replace it.  It 's been so long since I seen my boat, I almost forgot that I have one Angry.

Marc F.

"Residing in Missouri wishin I was in Washington"

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/13/07 at 03:25:26
Quote Print Post  
Sorry, Mark, had to chuckle at you comment.  THis is great advice.  I for one am a stickler for this sort of thing.  This past off season, I broke as much of the boat apart as I could (wish I had a fully heated shop) and checked, tightned, and replaced as needed every electrical connection that I could find.  You would not believe how many things are loose in a ten year old boat.  Kept tripping breakers last year, and I am curious to put the boat through the ringer.

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/13/07 at 11:03:11
Quote Print Post  
I stopped to help change out a wheel bearing last year at the Moses lake ramp. It happens from time to time. It always pays to do all the forementioned things for sure. Lets not forget that it could be you next time and stop and lend a helping hand to those that are hit with misfortune. Sometimes it does not matter how much preventitive maintenance you do. Things just happen at times and it could be you next time! You will feel good once you are done lending a helping hand. Plus I believe the good karma you gain from doing those types of things are worth an occasional five pounder now and then. Five pounders for all this year I say!!!!! Just make sure you put em back after some photos.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #5 - 04/13/07 at 13:40:09
Quote Print Post  
Don't forget to check the torque on the jackplate and transom bolts, all of them!  Loosing one of those guys at high speed can be fatal. Sad

Smitty Wink
« Last Edit: 04/13/07 at 16:53:58 by DUNE HOPPER »  

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/13/07 at 15:09:25
Quote Print Post  
Smitty and others,

Is there a usual torque range for transom bolts, or do they differ a lot depending on engine?

Chris

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 04/13/07 at 17:03:40
Quote Print Post  
I set mine between 70 & 75 ft. lbs.  If you don't have a torque wrench, use the German setting....
Smiley gootintight! Smiley

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/16/07 at 16:57:41
Quote Print Post  
Here's one most folks forget. Lube the lower bearing on your trolling motor shaft, I bet you will find it dry as a bone.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo