Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lake Fork - Texas (Read 4971 times)
Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Lake Fork - Texas
03/31/07 at 19:11:20
Quote Print Post  
As some of you know, Keri & I were at lake Fork last week attending the 2nd Annual BassResource.com Roadtrip.  I'm telling you guys, this lake is awesome.  But just like lakes around here, it can be tough to fish.  It really didn't give up many fish until the last day, and then....  

Here's Keri's new Personal Best - a 7-pound 8-ounce lunker

Here's the 8-pound 1-ounce pig that WOULD have been my new PB!

Just look at the gut on this girl

And here's the 9-pound 1-ounce Lake Fork Hawg!
www.westernbassclub.com/images/Glenn_FORK-'07-021.jpg
The most amazing thing of all, was that all three were caught on the same day! All were caught on spinnerbaits.  After fishing for 3 days watermelon plastics just like the locals said I should, and not having great results, I finally fell back to the "Throw what you know" rule and picked up a spinnerbait - my #1 confidence bait.

I had hooked the hawg the day before on a plastic lizard, I'm certain of it, as it was in the same 25' area.  She came off, so I went back there the next day with a spinnerbait.  I bumped what I thought at first was a stump.  I popped it kept it coming to the boat.  I thought to myself, "I don't recall a stump being around there, so maybe that was a fish." So I cast right back there again, brought my spinnerbait back over the "stump".... nothing.  I thought, "You're right!  It WAS a fish.  Dangit! I should have set the.."  WHAM!!!  and it was a battle from there!  

But here's the REAL kicker:  It's one thing to catch your personal best, but to do it in front of your friends (several boats in the area were BassResourcers) AND have it caught on tape is truly amazing! Check out the video compilation of the trip here, including footage of the catch: Lake Fork Video

Oh, and daytime temps were in the mid-70's every day, water temps in the low- to-mid 60's.  What a nice break from the cold rain!!

IP Logged

chris.s
Ex Member

Re: Lake Fork - Texas
Reply #1 - 03/31/07 at 20:48:00
Quote Print Post  
Whoa! That is an awesome trip... nice job, Glenn and Keri. Congratulations.

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 03/31/07 at 23:38:10
Quote Print Post  
Watched the video.  First question, where's the Ranger?  First comment, WOW! Shocked  I am so jealous.  Nicely done guys.  Cool video too.  Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/31/07 at 23:51:03
Quote Print Post  
Those are some SMOKER fish, you two.  Man, the smiles tell the whole story.  Thanks for taking us along on the trip!!!

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/07 at 00:06:24
Quote Print Post  
Glenn and Keri,

What awesome fish! That's a dream for most of us. Congratulations! Shocked

Stu

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #5 - 04/01/07 at 00:10:13
Quote Print Post  
That totally made my day!! That video is awesome !! I gotta go there....that is all there is to it!
Great Job you two!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #6 - 04/01/07 at 00:50:19
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys, that really means alot.  Terry - we flew in since trailering the Ranger to Texas would have been quite the trek!  Shocked  That's a rental that we're in on the video (yes - they actually rent bass boats in other parts of the country!).

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/07 at 00:55:28
Quote Print Post  
Now thats a trip you'll never forget.  Great job.  Now you need to beat 9-1 in Washington, it can be done.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/01/07 at 01:19:44
Quote Print Post  
Glen,

Now you have become "Texanized", way to go. Nice fish you guys. Yes I only miss Texas for that type of fishing.

Russ

IP Logged

M_Fields
Forum Member

Support the Troops!

Reply #9 - 04/01/07 at 10:05:30
Quote Print Post  
Glenn & Kari,

That is AWSOME !!!!!! 

Congratulations on ya'lls PB.  Thanks for posting the pic's.

Cool vedio's,  the 3 MOOKS crack me up.

Marc Fields

"Residing in Missouri wishin I was in Washington"

IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Reply #10 - 04/02/07 at 01:26:39
Quote Print Post  
Congrats Glen and Kari:
Looks like a ton of fun!  Glen, that was a huge smile.... and a sweet fish.  Way to go with your instincts and pull out the spinner bait. 
Ray

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #11 - 04/02/07 at 03:09:55
Quote Print Post  
Nice pigs.  Now a 5lber won't be as exciting.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/02/07 at 07:22:19
Quote Print Post  
Awesome fish. The same kind of possibilities I remember from when I lived in the neighboring state of Oklahoma. Lake Fork was not on the bass radar 27 years ago when I lived there. Makes me miss it a bit. I am going back there in June for a class reunion. Hmmmmmm...... Maybe I need to take a day of that trip and slip off to Lake Fork or one of the many big bass holes in that part of the country..... Now you have me thinking. Smiley

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #13 - 04/02/07 at 14:26:24
Quote Print Post  
Congratulations Mr. & Mrs. May!! Smiley
What great memories you and Kerri can take from that expeience.  The hughe grin and laugh says more than any words can express Glenn.  Watching that over and over will only make you want to return again and again. 
I wish I would have had a video camera when I caught my PB years ago in FL.  I took my camera to Mexico this past February, only to take pictures of everyone else!  Maybe next year will be the chance for me to get a bigun on film.

Smitty Smiley

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/03/07 at 01:38:51
Quote Print Post  
I would have to say I have been in that scenerio before. No luck with what the "locals" say. Rule of thumb to all you clubbers. No matter where you go, use what works for you and what you have confidence in. Bass are bass for the most part. They relate to structure fairly the same and water temperature is still a big factor for them.

Good job you two for going back to what you know works. What a great lesson. Congrats on the nice fish.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo