Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Clear Lake California (Read 3083 times)
Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Clear Lake California
03/25/07 at 22:10:42
Quote Print Post  
Will be spending a week down on Clear Lake (4/7 to 4/14), can anyone fill me in on fishing this famous lake?

Thanks in advance   Cool

BillB

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Re: Clear Lake California
Reply #1 - 03/25/07 at 22:17:40
Quote Print Post  
Bill,

Try posting on westernbass.com  You'll probably get plenty of info on that site.  I will be there from the 8th to the 14th.

Jon Werner

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/26/07 at 01:18:52
Quote Print Post  
from what i've heard you can kinda pick your pattern down there from docks to tules.  sounds like its a fish factory.  the bassmaster tourney may be televised by then that might give ya some pointers.

troy

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/26/07 at 15:05:49
Quote Print Post  
Bill,
  Give me a call buddy and I will hook you up with some area's. 

Mark

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/26/07 at 18:42:17
Quote Print Post  
Talk to Harley D. or Smitty.  They had a killer pattern for spring fishes at Clear Lake.  Something about Carolina Rigged lizards in 20' of water on main lake points.  I fished there two years ago and did well pretty much everywhere.  Swim baits in front of the state park, sight fishing in tules, docks all produced fish over 5lbs.  Wish I was going, too!!  Have a great time, Bill.

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #5 - 03/27/07 at 01:44:59
Quote Print Post  
Bill

Henry, Angie and I will be down at Clear Lake on the 12th through 21st of April. Where are you staying?

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/28/07 at 02:32:16
Quote Print Post  
Judy and I will be staying at a Trend West facility located at 3927 East Highway 20, Clearlake, CA 95464
Let's hook up should be a good time   Cool

I will send you a note with my Cell Phone #

BillB

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 03/28/07 at 13:44:47
Quote Print Post  
Most of the fishing in the spring will be on the other (NW) end of the lake Bill.  You may want to consider trailering around to Clearlake Oaks, Nice, or even Lakeview to put in as the wind can play havoc during that time of the year.  The town of Clearlake is located on the SE end of the lake and is typically a deeper summertime area to fish.  Not that you can't fish effectively on the South end, but the structure of the lake favors the North end in the spring. 
Spinnerbaits, large swimbaits, jigs and creature baits will be your prime weapons of attack.  Bring at least two heavy pitching/flippin sticks, 0ne heavy swimbait rod.  Leave all your spinning rods except one 7'MH at home.  You won't need them unless you decide to stop at Shasta and fish for some Kentucky bass on the way home.  Swimbaits work there as well this time of year, but you also need something to throw topwaters and darterheads on.
Enjoy your trip, I wish I could go this year.

Smitty Smiley

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/28/07 at 20:33:06
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Smitty

I appreciate tapping into your experience on the lake and will definitely go with your advice.  I am really looking forward to fishing this lake and will report back for others to follow.  We are flying down, so I will be renting my boat.  Hopefully next time I will be in a position to hit Shasta as well.   Cool

BillB

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #9 - 03/29/07 at 00:11:00
Quote Print Post  
Smitty

4' rollers with tops capping are not bad at Clear Lake! Henry and I witnessed them last March. I was trying to take pictures of them while we were slowly moving across the lake:)

Smitty is right Bill, if the wind is bad you can go to either the north end or the south end to launch and stay out of the wind. I am not very bright or patience so I just go right across the lake.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/29/07 at 00:22:46
Quote Print Post  
I was out there in May of 02 with 6+ foot rollers and I can tell you it was not fun.

Russ

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/29/07 at 04:30:39
Quote Print Post  
Bill - I have only been to a few meetings and am not sure if I have met you yet.  Amanda (wife) and I will also be at Trend West from Easter to the 14th.  I'm heading out on the lake the 10th with Larry Hemphill.  Looking ofrward to checking out some swimbaits and swimbait poles in the shops surrounding the lake. 

Jon Werner

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/30/07 at 02:52:04
Quote Print Post  
Hey Jon we will hook up, should be a lot of fun.  As to the potential wind, it is always something to watch for in the spring and all of us have our experiences with wind, that reminds me of the time....

Oh never mind, I just know that the bass will be there and so will I, we will find a way to meet up  Roll Eyes

BillB

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/30/07 at 04:34:01
Quote Print Post  
http://www.westernbass.com/dotcom/library/view.html?id=1026

Read this. My dad wrote this years ago. This was before the big swimbait craze however. This pattern seems to work as he has earned a lot of money on this lake. You will noticed his "awareness" of the fishery and the spinnerbait he talks about sounds familiar don't it? It is the same one I caught the 8-8 on at Silver Lake in the spring of 05'. Good luck boys

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo