Normal Topic new bass fisherman (Read 1418 times)
Thomas N.
Ex Member

new bass fisherman
02/06/07 at 04:36:01
Quote Print Post  
I have a friend that's just starting bass fishing from rod, reel, lures, and line.  What would you guys recommend?  Like the top ten lures( jigs, spinnerbaits, etc.)

Thanks for your opinions

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: new bass fisherman
Reply #1 - 02/06/07 at 05:14:53
Quote Print Post  
1.  Texas rigged plastics -
2.  Jigs
3.  Grubs/Crawfish imitations
4.  Cranks and/or stick baits
5.  Creature baits
6.  Spinnerbaits - White/Chartruese Gold blade
7.  Top water - Cigar type baits to walk the dog
8.  Swim Baits
9.  Tubes
Only nine, but a good start.  Most all can be fished with spinning outfits or bait casters.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 02/06/07 at 05:19:43
Quote Print Post  
I agree.  If your buddy just starting out, I'm assuming he cannot use a baitcaster yet?  I'd spool up 10 lb line, McCoy mean green is great, on a spinning reel.  Get a decent Med action spinning rod.  Thats the combo I used for years for Largemouth on all the lakes around here.  Casting is a huge part of bass fishing.  You won't catch many fish if you can't put your lure where you want it, and quietly.  Learn how to texas rig plastics, and rig them straight so they don't twist your line, very important.  
Watch all the fishing shows you can, alot of that info you will remember while you are on the water.  I can almost resite the words to some of my old fishing shows.  
Thats a start, spring is coming and he will get alot of oppurtunities to catch some fish.  Time on the water will help him get experience faster.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/06/07 at 05:44:27
Quote Print Post  
The best advice I have is to start him out with lures that are easier to fish....ie crankbaits, spinnerbaits, topwater, grubs with exposed hook on football head exc. Dropshotting, jig fishing, fishing carolina/ texas rigs can be great, but for a beginner can be frustrating detecting bites in some instances. I speak from experience. I agree 100% with getting him set up with spinning outfits for starters. I'd go with 8-10lb Maxima or P-line flourocarbon. Good grubs to get him started on are 176 single tail 4" yamomoto grubs or other earthy tone colors. Bandit, bomber, norman, and luhr jenson all make good crankbaits. I'm not as picky with spinnerbait manufactures. Oh yeah, and jerkbaits can be pretty good on washington and sammamish in may and early june.......rapala makes pretty good ones, but change out the hooks.
Hope this helps Chad S.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/07 at 04:42:32
Quote Print Post  
-Senkos
-Texas Rigged Worms
-Topwater/Buzzbait
-Spinnerbait

Those are the baits I learned how to fish with first. That should get you started. PRACTICE CASTING ALOT

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/07/07 at 17:22:03
Quote Print Post  
Ah...just give em a Senko.

Seriously though-

1. Pig and Jig
2. Spinner Bait
3. Texas Rigged Plastics
4. Grubs
5. Topwater
6. Cranks
7. Jerk Bait
8. Drop Shot

They all have there place and time to be used. That's why you should buy a rod and reel for each aplication.  Grin Ha ha Grin Just kidding. Or am I?

Carlos

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo