Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Black Lake(Olympia) (Read 6966 times)
Jfchoate1
Ex Member

Black Lake(Olympia)
08/02/06 at 02:15:41
Quote Print Post  
Was thinking of heading there this weekend(Black lake). Pros/Cons?

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Re: Black Lake(Olympia)
Reply #1 - 08/02/06 at 02:44:27
Quote Print Post  
Great Lake to Fish,  from about 11-5 it is WAKEBOARD CENTRAL, It is the biggest lake in OLY/Lacey area for wakeboarders. Though it doesnt seem to affect the fishing.

Smallmouth and Largemouth are both in the lake, also there is alot of weedgrowth in some areas and none in others.

I throw a finesse worm shallow, also a senko. Then a Black/Blue Jig always seem to work. Spinnerbaits also are good. I have caught a couple on deep diving crankbaits, most of the fish unfortunately are 5+ lb. Trout when fishing deep.

HAVE FUN, getting a 19-20 lb. sack is usually the winning weight there, when there are small club tourneys.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/02/06 at 06:10:44
Quote Print Post  
Great info Nick.  Is the speed limit times 11-5, or is that just when its most populated?

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/02/06 at 08:38:33
Quote Print Post  
I think it is idle only before and after those times he mentioned.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/03/06 at 04:39:07
Quote Print Post  
I know for sure that before 11 it is 5MPH only.

The end time I think is 6, though I may be wrong, may be later. Or there are just a bunch of people breaking the law.

from 11-5 it is most populated.

IP Logged

kelleybob
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/03/06 at 13:15:09
Quote Print Post  
Sounds like a great lake for baggin' a few wakeboarders n' jet skiers. Been having a bit of trouble getting clean takedowns lately...do you guys have a formula for calculating the proper lead. I used to figure about two lengths for a jet ski crossing at 100 ft but seem to be hittin' behind em'. Throwing a full size Zara as weapon of choice. Any tips would be appreciated!  Grin

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/03/06 at 17:47:18
Quote Print Post  
The big mag traps by Bill Lewis are a good bait of choice. If you miss in front the line will catch them and the bait will follow unitl it hooks in, then set the hook. Should help with a few more solid takedowns!

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/03/06 at 18:42:05
Quote Print Post  
Rob is right about that, 1 oz Rattletraps is the ticket.  Of course I'd never cast at one unless they were really acting like an A$$.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/03/06 at 19:57:53
Quote Print Post  
While the Western Bass Club does not condone or encourage the afforementioned acts we do find them to be a great form of entertainment as a virtual stress reliever reducing the possibility of cardiac failure and other health related issues brought on by the malicious contact with personal watercraft and their operators that might otherwise keep us from fishing.
As this might be a cumulative syndrome, contact with a physician is recommended.

Tongue Wink Grin

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #9 - 08/03/06 at 21:17:57
Quote Print Post  
I prefer and strongly endorse the use of a 6"-10" swimbait weighing between 6 and 12 ounces.  This heavy lure can be effectively and accurately cast at high velocities using a 7'10" Shimano Swimbait rod and mounted with a 200 series Chronarch reel.  The line of choice would be Gamma 20lb fluorocarbon as it's small diameter allows it to attain the high speeds needed to carry the lure over long distances. Cheesy  Additionally, the line is highly abrasive resistant.  The rod is just the right length and action for casting such a heavy lure and has the backbone to absorb the shock when you set the hooks on "The Big One"! Shocked Shocked

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/04/06 at 02:59:19
Quote Print Post  
I have always found the good ol' DUPONT SPINNER to be a great deterent  for errant skiers and PWC's. 

AND you get extra points if you can get them to ride the top of the "wave",

Rich

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/04/06 at 05:08:57
Quote Print Post  
OR.... you could do what I did one time at Long Lake.

I waved at the Wakeboarder who was EASILY within casting distance, who came around 2 TIMES. I waved at him all smiling and said "DUDE YOUR AWESOME, you rock man"!!!!!!!!!! (HE actually was horrible, Just BS him before gettin mad)

he looked and set his eyes on me and the same time he did a straight FACE-PLANT right straight on his face at 25 MPH!!!!!! It Was one of the funniest things I have ever seen!!!!! A Blank Stare then WHAM right into the water.

But I do agree Smitty on the Swimbait (WAKEBOARD BAIT), I bough a couple down at BPS in MO. A 10 inch and 12 inch, only $2. at the clearance outlet

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #12 - 08/05/06 at 15:11:48
Quote Print Post  
Two words: AIR HORN    Roll Eyes

When else do you get to use it? Let em pass by and just when they aren't paying attention, but are still close, blast the horn, keeping it low and out of view so that you can sell your innocent puppy dog look if they come back.

I haven't tried this yet, but I'd like to...

Another idea is to tie on an old spinnerbait without the hook attached and wing it near them. That way you won't accidentally hook a 100+ lb nuisance fish.

Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/06/06 at 19:51:22
Quote Print Post  
Hey Nick, which lake do you like better, Black or Long lake?  I want to give one a try.  No skiing until 11 seems pretty nice on black lake.  Even when they do come out I won't care, it beats lake wa  Tongue  I was fishing long lake in kitsap yesterday around a bunch of skiiers. Its getting tough out there, water visibilty a foot and lots of weeds.  Seems both black and long had great boat ramps so which do you like better for numbers and big bass?  Thanks, maybe we can hook up at either lake.

Chris

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/07/06 at 00:23:32
Quote Print Post  
I fish Long most often and it is a Quality Lake/not quantity.

So Is Black Lake, they are both quality not quantity.

I have seen bigger bags and more limits come out of Black Lake than Long.

My Experience with Big Bass is Long Lake is better for 6+ Pigs, mainly because I fish there most often, but Black Lake gets Its good share. Just maybe not as talked about. But for SM, there are some real good 6 lb. smallmouth that have been caught out of Black in the past couple years.

Black= Docks, Pads, Milfoil, Sand, small rock.
LM and SM

Long Lake= Docks and Pads, milfoil, only Largemouth.

SO I would have to say Black Lake is Better. Both lakes can be Moody, So Some days its great, and some days you dont even see a fish.

Also Chris, I could probably go with you.

-Nick

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo