Normal Topic time to retie? (Read 4259 times)
Troy
Ex Member

time to retie?
07/21/06 at 22:01:54
Quote Print Post  
i was watching bassmaster this weekend and the guys said you should retie after every fish you catch on a drop shot.  i almost never retie  Tongue.  only when i find frays, nicks, etc.  So my question is how often are you guys retying in particuar when dropshotting, but in general as well?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: time to retie?
Reply #1 - 07/21/06 at 23:07:36
Quote Print Post  
Like you...when it frays or looks all gacked up and twisty!

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/22/06 at 00:30:35
Quote Print Post  
Usually after 2 or 3 fish, I try to retie my dropshot.  If your catching them one after an other in a good area its hard to quit and take the few minutes out to do it.

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/23/06 at 20:26:27
Quote Print Post  
Be checking for any nick, rub, abrasion, curly que etc, constantly and especially after fighting a fish. 

Also remember that there is wear and tear on the knot at all time even when there is no visible or tactal evidence of problems up from the knot.

In other words, get in the habit of retieing, because most lost fish can be attributed to the line separating.

I retie often and my experience is not losing many fish because of the line breaking.

jmo
BillB

IP Logged

Jerry
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/06 at 02:32:04
Quote Print Post  
Depends on the size of fish. If I catch anything over 3 lbs...I retie immediately. If I catch 2 or 3 in the 1-2 lb. I retie. I have broken off fish when I haven't. Just how I roll Grin
« Last Edit: 07/24/06 at 03:54:59 by »  

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/06 at 14:40:47
Quote Print Post  
As most that have fished with me would attest, I tend to be on the cautious side when tying knots  Grin (I don't want to hear it! Ex-Prez and others)

Even when you don't see a knick in your line, give the knot a good yank after you catch a fish or hang up. Sometimes you'll be surprised to find that it was weaker than you thought... If the knot holds up and you don't have any knicks, then you are good to go!

Chris

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/24/06 at 15:44:38
Quote Print Post  
Actually, Chris actually taught me that test.  I do that all the time with most every knot.  Losing fish to bad knots has not been an issue for me, ever.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo