Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Record Smallmouth (Read 7532 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

Record Smallmouth
06/30/06 at 16:57:14
Quote Print Post  
Ok,
A recent post has had me chewing on this for a day or so.  If a angler dedicated himself to catching the next state record smallmouth, where would they go?  How would you approach that effort?  I am formulating a plan for next spring that will take me to all the prime waters at all the prime times.  I plan on fishing my usual tournaments, but I am taking this effort seriously.   I have not narrowed down locations precisely, but I am considering the Columbia River system, specifically the Hanford Reach and Bonneville areas,  Lake Chelan, Palmer Lake, and the US side of Osoyos.  If my fellow clubbers want to toss a couple of other locations that they have caught or witnessed large fish being taken that would be a great help as I begin my quest.  I know that this fish is out there, probably right in your hometown.  So the question is, where would you hunt big smallies?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Record Smallmouth
Reply #1 - 06/30/06 at 17:29:18
Quote Print Post  
I would say the Lower Columbia and Lake Washington even though lake Chelan was a great example of a deep water fisherie I still think Lake Washington and it's ability to put out so many 6+ lb fish would be the 2nd choice to Lower Columbia.....both have migratory forage and great stationary forage sources while Chelan has none and is drawn down so far and is limited in shallow water.
Does Chelan have a ladder?
have only heard of landlocked Chinook and Kokanee.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/30/06 at 18:17:09
Quote Print Post  
Hey Kirk,

If it was me, and I was really hunting for the record in the spring, I would stick to clear waters like Lake Chelan. In fact, with its proven big-fish record, I'd think it is your best bet.

I would get on the trolling motor and sight fish my butt off and not even blink an eye unless I saw something that looked like it was over 6 pounds. I would then keep note of all the areas where I saw big fish, and stick close to these areas for other times of the year when the fish aren't shallow... assuming I already didn't stick the state record while doing this  Grin

I say, if you're fishing for one fish and you don't know big fish bodies of water in excruciating detail, then why not try to sight-fish clear waters with big fish? I have a lot more confidence in that than trying to drag 50 feet of water in Lake Washington all day.

As far as just naming waters that probably have state records, I think you and Larry have it covered! I might add Lake Whatcom, although I haven't heard much about it lately...

To answer your question, Larry. Lake Chelan doesn't have a fish ladder. Chelan Falls was historically a natural fish barrier, so there weren't any migratory fish... at least they weren't coming back up!

So you guys go ahead and fish for the smallie next spring. I'm going to go look for an 11 pound largemouth in my little livingston!!!  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

Chris

IP Logged

LaRoja
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 06/30/06 at 18:52:18
Quote Print Post  
Last Sunday in Chelan, Mark and myself saw this huge (it made his 5+ lb fish small) female swimming by us with two males by her.  That trophy fish could have been a state record.

Chelan is definitely a candidate.
José

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/30/06 at 19:08:28
Quote Print Post  
I don't doubt for one minute that there is a record in any or all of the above. I also witnessed two fish in the 7-8lb range roaming Chelan last weekend. I have hooked 7+ lbers on lake WA on two occasions that broke off after 4-5 minute fights. Never have been to Palmer so I couldn't say, Hanford ( Those Nuclear Fish) good possibility, Potholes maybe, Whatcom real good possibility.

But after witnessing 6-7" squaw fish on the bottom of my livewell during that last event, it has me stoked to try some swim baits next week while I'm there.

What is the record for a smallie? Isn't it 8 something?

I will give you all the results when I get back.
Russ

IP Logged

LaRoja
WBC Member

Reply #5 - 06/30/06 at 19:11:25
Quote Print Post  
According to the WDFW 8.75 (8lb 12oz).
José

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/30/06 at 19:14:09
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Jose,

I guess I will be looking for a 9lber.
Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/30/06 at 20:45:50
Quote Print Post  
Caught in the White Bluffs region of the Hanford Reach.  It IS an exciting topic.  Admit it all of you, your heart beats just a little faster, even when you are typing the words, state record smallmouth. 

I like Chris's logic and since the lake is fairly close to home it seems a reasonable choice.  Russ, good luck with swim baits, they could be the ticket for a big fish.  I, too saw big females swimming with males which makes me believe that there is a second wave of spawners just coming up in Chelan. 

Hey, Chris, next spring, you bring the Livingston to Wapato for a crack at the LM record and I will have the Skeeter for the SM gig on Chelan!!!

Hey what about Long Lake in SPokane?  ANy HUGE smallies, there?

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/30/06 at 21:36:32
Quote Print Post  
Deal, Kirk!  Grin

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/30/06 at 22:29:35
Quote Print Post  
Talked to a buddy of mine just minutes ago and he said he got an 8lb smallie out of Riffe just 3 weeks ago along with a 6lber.
Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/30/06 at 22:41:18
Quote Print Post  
Riffe Lake bites!!!

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/30/06 at 23:02:45
Quote Print Post  
Rev rig Chelan late October and early November, or, does it ice over that early ??

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/01/06 at 00:14:30
Quote Print Post  
No ice for Chelan... It might get a little crust around the edges in the dead of winter, but generally it is too big and windy to ice over.

Chris

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/01/06 at 04:03:17
Quote Print Post  
Well having fished most of the fore mentioned bodies of water, I would eliminate Osoyoos, fished it last year during the spawn and caught quite a few fish in 4 hrs of fishing but nothing bigger than 3.5..... Didn't see any giants there.  Washington would be on the list, Hanford reach in the spring has so much current, it would have to be June or later to be able to fish that, but Chelan, oh good old Chelan.  That would be my number one choice for the next RECORD......  Without a doubt hitting this at different times of the year and throw the big trout / squawfish colored swimbait, Rev rig a BIG jointed Rapala to be able to cover ALOT of water would be the choice.

My .02 cents

Mark

PS  Good luck in the hunt

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/01/06 at 04:29:39
Quote Print Post  
Don'y you all know that Jeff boyer came close to the state record already in Chelan. He caught an 8lb 3 oz smallie out of there. Is that enogh to stick with Chelan. Especially you Kirk. i mean it would make sense for maybe me to get to know washington better. Personally I would stick to lake union in may and early june, but that's only because I could hit it a ton. Now if i had a choice it would definantly be Chelan. I never even fished it and would still choose it. Good luck on your quest Kirk. I guess I'll just have to settle for the state record largemouth. lol Now what would everyone's top five be for that?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo