Normal Topic Making spinnerbaits track straight (Read 2432 times)
Dipsnort
Ex Member

Making spinnerbaits track straight
04/07/06 at 18:12:56
Quote Print Post  
Ok, so I'm having problems with a spinnerbait where the skirt portion does not ride directly beneath the blades.  Slight bending of the wires and such only seems to make it worse. Undecided

Anybody have tips on adjustments to solve this problem?

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Re: Making spinnerbaits track straight
Reply #1 - 04/07/06 at 19:09:09
Quote Print Post  
I don't know that I would fix it. Sometimes a bait that is just slightly different than what a fish sees buzzing by all day is the one bait that makes them want to kill it. I have had this problem before especially with baits with large deeply cupped blades. It seem that the blades put so much torque in the wires that it just makes them run slightly tilted in the water. Kind of like the torque feedback you get in the steering wheel of a boat. Unless you have that fancy shmancy hydraulic steering. If you change blades sometimes it goes away some times it does not. It may be the head on the bait is just not balanced either.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/07/06 at 20:45:16
Quote Print Post  
Quit buying the $ .99 specials at Walmart.  Grin

Try making the distance between the blade side and the skirt side shorter by bending them together.

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/06 at 21:09:23
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Quit buying the $ .99 specials at Walmart.  Grin

Dang, caught red handed! Grin

Actually, this one was sold second hand to me.  Now I know why.  Thanks for the tip, I'll try bending it together a bit more. 8)

IP Logged

Andrea L
WBC Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/06 at 23:11:54
Quote Print Post  
nice picture Rob!!  What ?? You can't catch your own 6.1 smallie?

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/07/06 at 23:47:23
Quote Print Post  
If the spinnerbait appears to be straight, it could just have too large a blade on it. I bought a new Strike King that did that, and the only options I could see were to either put a smaller big blade on, or remove the smaller blade completely. I removed the smaller blade, it ran straight, but I've never caught a fish on it. The smaller blade increases 'lift', but also cancels some of the vibration. I think our waters are clear enough that it's very possible to have too much vibration, despite what they say on the TeeVee shows.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #6 - 04/08/06 at 01:03:25
Quote Print Post  
If bending the wires doesn't work, I'd bet your trailer isn't on straight.  Replace it with a new one.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/11/06 at 14:35:16
Quote Print Post  
I'm just rying to be like Dave! He is my hero!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo