Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lake Killarney (Read 6239 times)
emrich
Ex Member

Lake Killarney
03/25/06 at 08:06:41
Quote Print Post  
Does anyone ever fish Lake Killarney in Federal Way? I know its a real small lake with poor to little boat access, but i've been hearing a lot of good things about it.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Re: Lake Killarney
Reply #1 - 03/25/06 at 08:48:09
Quote Print Post  
I think I have been there once, shallow and weedy for sure.  I have heard good things too, go give it a shot.  The boat launch is rough, but you should be able to hand launch a boat ok.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/26/06 at 20:06:10
Quote Print Post  
Hit North Lake instead. Has some fish over 8 in her.
Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/26/06 at 21:16:15
Quote Print Post  
Noth is seasonal and has not opened yet....

IP Logged

steve_lewis
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/26/06 at 23:15:25
Quote Print Post  
North is electric motor only, right?

After North opens, can you take a boat on it with an outbaord as long as it is trimmed all the way up?

Steve

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/27/06 at 00:52:24
Quote Print Post  
Hey Steve....I went on North 7-8 years ago with my Tracker and caught grief from every homeowner on the lake saying that outboards were banned......they're is'nt a ruling to be found on weather you have to have the motor and fuel off the boat or not.
A grey area with the rules again.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/27/06 at 02:49:47
Quote Print Post  
I also like North, Larry is right though, its not year round.  A little story about North lake, many years ago me and my mom were trolling for trout  Lips Sealed and I think I was trolling a power egg and a spinner.  I hooked into this huge fish.  We were in a 8 foot wooden boat.  My drag was set WAY too tight, once I got the fish to the boat I kid you not that fish spun the boat around in circles 2 or 3 times before my line snapped.  Not sure what it was, trout or bass.  I have never had a bass or anything come close to spinning my little 9 foot boat around.  I have witnessed a float tuber pull a 6 lber from there, nice lake.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/27/06 at 04:02:30
Quote Print Post  
I've been on Killarney, and can't say anything good about it. The State tried to make it a trophy bass lake, which of course doomed it to mediocrity. There are lots of good electric only lakes around. The ones around Fed. Way are fine, E. Renton, E. Auburn, etc. Many have launch issues, but the peace and quiet, along with decent bass fishing, make them pretty appealing.

Regarding the issue of having a gas outboard on your boat... this question was clearly answered a year or so ago on this forum. If it is a County reg, you can have the gas motor aboard, in the water or up, no matter, as long as you don't use it. On the other hand, if this is a State reg, stating in the DF&W rule book ''no i.c. motors allowed", then you cannot have the gas outboard on the boat at all.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/27/06 at 04:32:23
Quote Print Post  
Doloff is another good little bass lake. Almost a pond in size, have caught many 3-4lber in this one as it never gets fished much. As far as North no IC motors at all but does have some toads in it.
Russ

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/27/06 at 18:37:05
Quote Print Post  
I had fished Killarney a ton when I was young. My dad and I use to do really well there. I have been there a few times in recent years and not done nearly as well. As far as the IC thing. I have spoken with the King County Police, The State Fish and Game Dept., The Washington State Patrol and a few others as well. I was infrormed from all parties that the no IC regulations were developed for two reasons. Saftey concerns on lakes to small for speeding boats and for noise reduction around the private lakes. I have been told that as long as you do not fire up the big motor that all is ok. The thing is the home owners around the lakes will be asses about it most places you go. They are ignorant of the law and have not done their home work. I was once on Pipe Lake and had a home owner throwing rocks at my stratos. I picked up my cell phone and called the police on him after he had threatend to do the same on me. He was informed by a King County officer that I was right he was wrong and to leave me be and let me fish in peace. I never had problems with him again but others there gave me a hassle from time to time. Some lakes, if the fishing is great, it is worth the hassle, Others why bother. That is my experiance with the IC rule. I go fishing and I have even seen and spoken to Police officers at the launch. All they tell me is you know you can't run that motor in here right. I just reply with thats why you saw me on the electric all the way accross the lake....

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/27/06 at 20:44:27
Quote Print Post  
It's nice to carry a badge..... Wink

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/27/06 at 20:55:20
Quote Print Post  
Last time we had a guy from the state come and talk to us about regulations (a year or so ago)  I specificially asked them about the confusion about the "motor issue" on those small lakes, and he said that the state has made it clear:  NO MOTORS ON THE BOAT!  I thought he was crazy so I went to the regulations and sure enough - it makes it very clear: you have a motor on the boat and you will get ticketed.

I got out the old regulations and sure enough they have changed that portion.  So go ahead and take the chance if you want - but don't go to the regulations to defend your decision because you won't have a leg to stand on!

IP Logged

steve_lewis
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/28/06 at 00:59:49
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for clearing that up.

Steve

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/28/06 at 02:40:18
Quote Print Post  
I fished North about 10 times last year and about half the time there was someone on the lake with an outboard, but not using it.  Everyone was using electric.  There were homeowners out there too and they never, that I could tell, said anything to the bassboat users.  As a bass fishery, the largest bass I got was 6 1/2 pounds and I probably got 5 - 6 in the 3 pound category.  Lots of smaller fish.  I mainly used wacky rigged Senkos, grubs and hard/soft jerkbaits.  On one occasion my dad and I watched some guys from shore fishing for ... bass.  They had probably 8' poles rigged with power bait, tri swivels and weight.  They would hook small 5 - 6 inch trout and level them out in the lake while periodically pumping their poles.  We watched these guys pull in two bass within 30 minutes that were about 4 - 5 pounds each.  Crazy...

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/28/06 at 02:44:40
Quote Print Post  
Here is one of my favorites.

It only works if the homeowner has a nice house and yard. After they go up one side of you and down the other about how your motor cannot be on the lake and how it pollutes, blah blah blah. (I really like to let them draw it out) I ask them where they think the extra fertilizer and lawn spayer goes after a heavy rain? we get 150+ days of rain here and everyday it rains it is washing your fertilizer into the water. How is that not polluting? Usually it is followed up by some dumb response but it gets them to think about it.

If the house is a little beat up and run down- There is a ggod chance that there is an old Chevy 350 block and washer and drier sitting in the back yard. What about the rain that filters all those oils and chemicals into the soil and, eventually, into the water? You unthoughtful son of a!

These are OUR lakes. We have paid damn good money to be intitled to fish them. Too many home owners think that they own the water and everything in it. If the lake has a public access point that my money helped pay for, I am using it. Period.

One last one. When people display concern about me casting around their docks. Simple. "It's OK, I'm a professional." They don't know what to say.

One more- A guy told me that he owned the TIDAL land in front of his house on Lk Samm. He claimed it was in his land agreement when he bought his house. I agreed that I would respect that and if he could simply tell me what time low tide was I would be sure to mark the water line and not cross it ever again.

Ignorance is sweet.

play with them for awhile.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo