Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) DropShot line Q (Read 6944 times)
jwerner
Ex Member

DropShot line Q
03/11/06 at 23:16:24
Quote Print Post  
    Let me start by saying this will be my first season dropshotting, but I have LMB fished for 20+ years and have grown very partial to Fireline.   For the experienced dropshotters, would using 8# fireline on the spool but using a 6# flourocarbon lead and rigging work?  What are the positives/negatives?  My reasoning is to have the greater sensitivity/no stretch of the fireline.  Thanks in advance.

ROLLTIDE

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Re: DropShot line Q
Reply #1 - 03/11/06 at 23:37:59
Quote Print Post  
your right the fireline would give you more sensetivity.  i would be careful on hooksets and fighting fish becasue i would think your leader would be more suseptible to breaking than with just straight flouro.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/12/06 at 00:53:27
Quote Print Post  
J,

I personally do not like fireline, but to each his own. I stick with 6-8lb Flourocarbon for all my drop shotting(P-Line) have never broken a fish off of it yet. Sensitivity is primarily in the rod you are using.
Russ

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/12/06 at 03:31:20
Quote Print Post  
I use the exact setup you discussed - Fireline and Flourocarbon leader - works great!

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/12/06 at 11:05:00
Quote Print Post  
I too use a braid/mono combination for dropshotting. I place a glass bead above the swivel where the lines join, mostly to prevent damage to my rod tip if I get over-keen and wind the swivel uo too fast - the bead prevents the swivel going through the rod tip.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/12/06 at 15:04:38
Quote Print Post  
They are two considerations when fishing with a braid/ fireline to leader combo.  One is do you want to tie the line directly with no swivel or do you want the swivel.  I can tell you from experience that having a swivel on can sometimes be a help to catching  fish and sometimes a hinderence.  Because the swivel will impart a totally different action to a bait .  Yes that's right, the swivel will impart action to the bait and no swivel will let the bait do something complete different.  So before you make a final judgement on which way to go.  Consider trying both and having both setup when your dropshotting.  Let the fish tell you what they want.  Just my .04 cents worth.

Mark

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/12/06 at 17:10:55
Quote Print Post  
I believe in old fashioned 8-lb mono strait...less connections equals less failures...my .02

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/06/06 at 02:03:41
Quote Print Post  
I'll go one step further after receiving my BRAND SPANKING NEW ORDELLO DROP SHOT ROD today.  In the past I used 10lb mono and 8lb flouro with a swivel.  I asked a few "CLUB PROS" their preferences and believe it or not I got mixed reviews also, but most tend to lean toward rigging everything straight to their main line and sticking with 6 or 8 lb flouro.

I'm going out on the limb and try both ways on the new CAJUN Line.  I really prefer the swivel method because if it gets hung up or breaks off usually I only loose the weight but if all goes, all I have to do is open a pre-made Gamakatsu D/S package, tie it on and away I go.  I know, it's lazy but fishing from the back and having limited rod availability makes it do-able for me.  I'll keep you informed how they work out.

Chuck Pigue Grin

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #8 - 04/06/06 at 03:00:29
Quote Print Post  
Before I give my .02, I need to catch a fish on a dropshot first. Grin

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/06/06 at 05:19:11
Quote Print Post  
Like larry said, Straight up. I use 6 lbs. McCoy, its durable and is real strong for 6 lbs. line.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/06/06 at 05:25:02
Quote Print Post  
I use mainline, no swivels.  I bought a spool of maxima flourocarbon, haven't got a bite on it yet to see if I'll snap the line with my usual hookset. Tongue  8 lb p-line flouroclear worked well for me last year.  Trying full-flouro for the first time.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/07/06 at 14:28:29
Quote Print Post  
8lb Ande. Could pull up an anchor with that stuff....nuff said.

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/07/06 at 17:17:17
Quote Print Post  
Although I like 8lb Ande. I personally use the same as Russ. P-Line 6-8lb no swivel, I think its great.

Carlos

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/07/06 at 23:49:20
Quote Print Post  
6lb P-Line flourocarbon I swear by it for dropshot fishing.  Almost completely invisible in the water, very sensitive,, not much stretch at all and tough, very tough.

I also use tungsten weights and a very sensitive rod, bites are almost like an electrical shock in their feel.

I like firelline for a lot of things but dropshot fishing is not one of them.

BillB

« Last Edit: 04/11/06 at 17:19:10 by »  

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/08/06 at 04:01:24
Quote Print Post  
Yo Rob that picture is too funny bro!!!!

ROTFLMAO Grin Grin Grin

Carlos

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo