Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lakes For Beginners ? (Read 8149 times)
T_Dot
Ex Member

Lakes For Beginners ?
03/06/06 at 10:26:27
Quote Print Post  
Hello

Im looking for a couple lakes for beginners.  I would like to take a few beginners out for a few days of fishing in the summer, and I dont want them to leave empty handed.

... any suggestions?  Lakes with boat rentals are a bonus.

Thanks

EDIT

Bass fishing for beginners that is...  also what baits do you suggest they use.  Remember these guys are beginners, and the more fish the better.

Smiley
« Last Edit: 03/09/06 at 03:04:49 by »  

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Re: Lakes For Beginners ?
Reply #1 - 03/06/06 at 14:20:43
Quote Print Post  
Hey there TDOT,
  Interesting name?  If you just want to get "the beginners" on fish that swim, Lake Washington for "perch jerking" is always a safe bet.  If you want to catch a bass, May on Lake Washington under docks with a Senko is also a good bet.  Most any lake during the month of May into early June is the best fishing.
  If you don't have a boat, GET ONE!  Just kidding!  I would suggest making a club meeting and presenting your qusetion there.  Bring a Lake Washington map with you and a Sharpie and that will get you a much better read on trying to remember all you've been told.  GOOD LUCK!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/07/06 at 02:57:53
Quote Print Post  
What's up TDot?!! If you don't mind the drive, Kapowsin lake is right up your ally!! Smiley  You can catch bluegill and sunfish about as fast as you can cast, Shocked  it also has catfish, trout, crappie and a few bass here and there...... Roll Eyes It also has a boat rental, they'er not bass boats, but they work in a pinch. Smiley

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/06 at 03:03:50
Quote Print Post  
A few bass here and there in Kapowsin?  You being sarcastic or has the lake went downhill?  Tongue

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/07/06 at 03:43:03
Quote Print Post  
T-Dot,

If you want to have your beginners catch bass on their first trip or two, I recommend Lake Nahwatzel. It is about 10 miles west of Shelton. It's about an hour to 90 minute drive, but it was worth it for me when I took my wife and kids out for their first bass fishing trip in our little 10 ft livingston.

We went in the middle of the summer on a hot day and caught lots and lots of bass. All we threw were 4 inch single tail brown grubs on 2/0 Gamakatsu EWG hooks - no weights. I think you could rent a boat out there. you'll need to call out and check.

Lake Nahwatzel - Shelton
W 12900 Shelton-Matlock Road
(360)426-8323
Privately owned boat launch and resort.

Check out the pics from our trip at these two pages. We are the ones in the bright colored life jackets. That fish my wife caught was her first ever bass (about 3 lbs or more) and the one I caught in the pics with both kids i caught on a little kid sized Zebco rod/reel. Both kids casted and caught their own. (go up the right side of the lake from the public launch.

http://www.westernbassclub.com/igallery/folderview.asp?folder=Catch%20Pictures&p...

http://www.westernbassclub.com/igallery/folderview.asp?folder=Catch%20Pictures&p...

Good luck!
Stu

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/07/06 at 04:13:32
Quote Print Post  
Yes Chris, Very sarcastic, there are times of the year when you can put a 25lbs for your five biggest fish, and that's being conservitive..... Wink  Keep in mind that the public launch has been closed going on 11 years if my memory serves me right, and the pressure on bass there is next to none. (Can you say major toads??) As soon as I find out the public launch conpleation date, we will be having a fish-in out there! Grin 8)

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #6 - 03/07/06 at 04:17:59
Quote Print Post  
Sawyer is a nice little lake.  Not too many big ones with all the pressure, but great for beginners.  That's where I started and landed my biggest bass so far.  Throw weightless senkos, hula grubs, or when the water is clear a 4" single tail grub on a 1/4 jig head should produce some bass.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/07/06 at 05:01:18
Quote Print Post  
I have always liked Kapowsin.  I never had Great luck, but its a fun lake.  Not so fun when you break your Minn Kota shaft though, happens pretty easily out there I'm sure.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/07/06 at 16:05:52
Quote Print Post  
I watched a guy put a brand new ranger bass boat into Lake Kapowsin, and thought he was brave dude because the gel coat was bound to get scratched up.  But when he started up the big motor and took off on full plane, I was in disbelief!  Bammm!!! He hadn't gone a hundred yards when he hit the first submerged stump.  When he raised up his boat motor, the lower unit was held on by only one bolt.  Tough and expensive lesson to learn!

The lake always had stories of 8 and 9 pound fish being catch "last year".  And although I caught a few largemouth (I didn't know much about bass back then), I just loved being on the lake.  It also has a great population of red-eyed rock bass.  And when the crappie are in the bushes during the spring - wow!  

I watched a guy with a fly rod one evening catch a pan fish on almost every cast.  Trout fishermen troll and catch plenty using those gang blades with a wedding ring on the end tipped with a bit of worm.  

I haven't been there since the boat ramp got closed down - but I can't wait until it reopens!  There aren't many lakes on this side of the mountains that aren't surrounded by houses.  You feel like you are truly out in the outdoors.  

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/07/06 at 19:11:21
Quote Print Post  
HAHA, I would not feel sorry for that Ranger owner.  I was trolling out in the very middle one time,  Embarrassed and all of a sudden my boat came to a complete stop.  I would never run a gas motor out there.  They have many pics of 8+ pounders in that shack of a resort.

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/07/06 at 19:46:12
Quote Print Post  
Yes stay away from Kapowsin! It is very dangerous  Shocked and it is completly fished out. In facted I think they killed it off for the slimers.  Cry Do not go there. Lips Sealed

Carlos

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/07/06 at 20:24:43
Quote Print Post  
Years ago I was putting a 21' Ranger back on the trailer at that lake and the wind was blowing, well at that time there used to be a big stump just underneath the water surface in front of the ramp, well lo and behold the wind pushed me right on top of the stump. It took over 30 minutes do get off of it. Since it was over my head on the other side I could only throttle back and forth to get off of it.
I have never gone back. What a knuckle head of a guy to run his ranger on plane in there.
Russ

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/08/06 at 01:14:42
Quote Print Post  
That was you on that stump??  Shocked Go figure!! I was the guy in the 10 ft. aluminum who was trying to figure out how you did that!! Tongue  Seriously, your not the only one who has found that stump that way.

IP Logged

JohnKTKim
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/08/06 at 05:39:09
Quote Print Post  
Was talking to my friend from Jerry’s today, bout Lake Kapowsin,
He mentioned this guy who on one very foggy morning, launched his bass boat on Lake Kapowsin… went out a ways dropped his trolling motor, fished some, moved around the lake on his trolling motor, threw this and that, all awhile using his bow mounted trolling motor. Well about three hours the dense fog finally burned off, get this for three hours the guy was on a stump as he was only several yard from the launch! (wasn't any of you guys was it?) Smiley

Never been to Lake Kapowsin, but kinda reminds me of lake overcup in AR, a lake made by flooding a forest, bumping stumps inside clearly marked channel markers

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/08/06 at 06:54:59
Quote Print Post  
Thats hilarious John !!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo