Normal Topic line for cranking (Read 4342 times)
Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

line for cranking
02/09/06 at 03:35:01
Quote Print Post  
Just wondering what brand of line you use when cranking?

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Re: line for cranking
Reply #1 - 02/09/06 at 03:48:37
Quote Print Post  
I used to use McCoy and never had a lick of trouble.  Last year I switched to fluorocarbon line after reading some info on its durability.  So far I haven't noticed a great deal of difference yet.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/09/06 at 03:58:48
Quote Print Post  
Me......two monofilament line sizes....12 and 8
12 for baitcasters and 8 for spinning reels.
Brand...... Izorline. Makes it cheaper and simple as I buy them in 3400 and 5600 yard spools and change often to eliminate occasional line twist in deep fishing situations and for the rocky lakes.

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/09/06 at 04:55:56
Quote Print Post  
Myself I run 10lb on my baitcast and 8 on my spin gear, P-line has been the best to me so far.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/09/06 at 05:14:49
Quote Print Post  
That depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If we are using smaller baits and you want them deep then fish 8-10, If for larger baits and you are fishing around wood 15-20lb is suitable.

Lot of this depends on structure  that you are  fishing grass,wood, rocks, pads? Braid for grass works great, forget in wood. You will never see your lure again if you hook that toad.

For most lakes 12lb P-line,Izor, or MaCoy is perfect for most conditions.

Last year during practice at Potholes I stuck over 22lbs on cranks using 12lb in and around brush and never lost a fish. Sometimes the fish are higher in the water column and I will use a heavier line to keep it just above the brush.

Just some ideas to consider.

Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/09/06 at 16:01:36
Quote Print Post  
10lb bass pro excel mono.  Never had a lick of trouble and I like to keep it simple.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/10/06 at 02:50:26
Quote Print Post  
There ought to be a WARNING attached to this forum - letting anyone who asks a question about "line" to expect as many different answers as there are anglers. 

What works "wonderfully" for one angler is a "nightmare" to others.  If there is a topic more subjective than line, I don't know what it is.  Everyone claims to be make their decisions on science and practical experience, but if this was the case - why can't anyone agree? 

I feel sorry for the beginner who is lost when they walk into a store and see so many different kinds of line, but I suspect they are just as confused after asking a question about it on a fishing forum like this. 

I guess there is a reason ALL those brands of line continue to be there year after year instead of several major brands dominating the field - anglers simply find something that works for them and stick with it! 

I don't have any answers for beginners concerning line - I just tell them what I use and add the WARNING: "What ever I have told you, understand that others will disagree with me emphatically!  Try several kinds until you find one you gain confidence in." 

"Confidence" is why each of the answers above vary all over the place.  (Yeh, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!)

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/06 at 03:02:03
Quote Print Post  
Well said, Rev.  I have been at this for 20+ years and if any topic ever sparked a neat debate at a tourney potluck it was who is using the "best" fishing line. 

Except, maybe Smitty and Scott R. arguing about scents.  Shees.........

IP Logged

Harley
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/10/06 at 05:57:04
Quote Print Post  
Well my only line is P-Line 8 to 10 for cranking small mouth.  12 for large mouth.  20lb for clear lake swim baits.  Never any problems with it.  You can't give me any other line.  I hope everyone has a great year and tight lines to all.   8)

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/11/06 at 04:25:42
Quote Print Post  
Personally i like #10 McCoy for all cranking, may go to 12#-#14 for brush and rock. I mainly like mcCoy because it has a silicone pregnation process which makes it smoother for casting

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo