Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spinnerbaits (Read 6677 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

Spinnerbaits
02/09/06 at 00:33:54
Quote Print Post  
OK Gang,
If you were going to pick out your favorite spinnerbug, what would you buy?  Blade combination and skirt color.  I know this is a very general question, and there are so many different styles and colors for any given situation, but, based on your personal preference, what would they be?

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: Spinnerbaits
Reply #1 - 02/09/06 at 01:19:02
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

I use 1/2-3/4oz in white or white with chartreuse willow leaf I believe #4 and #3 Blades. When slow rolling around wood one single blade I think it is #5 or #6 Round blade.

I look for spinnerbaits that have a lot of vibration. Terminators and The wedge by Stanley are my favorites.
Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/09/06 at 04:03:11
Quote Print Post  
I am starting to throw these more and I prefer the Strike King premier elites in 3/8th oz.
I throw the chartreuse/white with the willow/small colo. blades in silver/ chrome and the blue / white sparkle skirt same blades.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/10/06 at 01:22:19
Quote Print Post  
My favorite is not being made any more Cry Undecided Angry  Its the terminator heavy T spinnerbait.  3/4 oz size 1/2 oz profile.  I prefer the big single blade that comes with it.  I love this spinner bait because of the heavy weight allows it to be slow rolled to 15ft easy.  Plus it can be worked like any other blade out there.  My color of choice is white with a little silver or blue mixed in.

Mark

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/10/06 at 05:26:23
Quote Print Post  
Another debate....

I like to pick my spinnerbaits depending on water clearity and fish activity. Also if you are targeting largemouth or smallies. Some work good for both in lakes where you have good numbers of both. If the fish will chase it down....double willowleaf that moves fast and is harder to get a good look at is my choice. In clearer water, whites and white-chartruese are good. 

In stained water I like bigger baits. You can use bigger blades to slow them down and add thump. In lakes with a lot of crappie for forage I like white with the striped black strands in the skirt. Single colorado blades work good in darker waters too. I have good luck with solid black in dark water too.

A good all around bait is a Terminator with a gold willow and a smaller silver colorado on the front.  I like gold blades more where there are perch and silver more where there are crappie.

I wouldn't get too hung up though...there are times where it doesn't seem to matter what you throw. I think it's more of find areas where a spinnerbait is more productive than other baits, such as riprap. Clicking a blade off riprap is deadly. Also when covering shallow flats..

I learned alot about spinnerbaits the last 2 years by experimenting and they are, to me, one of my best fish catchers throughout the year.

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/11/06 at 05:22:41
Quote Print Post  
When going for largemouth, I perfer a 3/8-1/2 oz. (off white with gold "shimmer" skirt,)  spro spinnerbait with a double willow.#4 and a #4 1/2.  I had to modify some of these. Roll Eyes  For more water displacment, add more strans to your skirt as well as a zoom split tail trailer.  For smallies, the same during the spawn then I'd go to a strike king 1/4 to 3/8oz. in a burnt mustard color, fish it just like it comes out of the package. Wink

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/11/06 at 21:24:28
Quote Print Post  
Burnt Musturd color.  Who the heck cooks their musturd, let alone burns it?  I don't think I have seen this color.  Now maybe a Parched orange or a nice sauteed yellow.

Rich

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/12/06 at 17:18:46
Quote Print Post  
Shoot Rich, I've discovered a hole new palet of assorted colors when I do the cooking..... 8) Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/12/06 at 20:07:58
Quote Print Post  
AaaHaaa...  that's why you keep saying "Iffin' it's smokin' it's cooking and iffin' it's black it's done!"

Rich

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/09/06 at 02:46:30
Quote Print Post  
great topic

now where in seattle can you purchase these @ a good price.  im pretty content with strike king.

Smiley

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/09/06 at 03:21:03
Quote Print Post  
Auburn Sports and Marine has a great selection of spinnerbaits and tons of Strike King ones. They also have Boo-Yah, Leverage, Terminator and a few others.

I think there is a Sportsman's Warehouse in Seattle, but I haven't been there and can't speak for their selection.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/11/06 at 14:49:56
Quote Print Post  
SW on 4th Ave is Seattle has a dandy selection.  A feller should find what he needs there.

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/12/06 at 02:48:20
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Auburn Sports and Marine has a great selection of spinnerbaits and tons of Strike King ones. They also have Boo-Yah, Leverage, Terminator and a few others.

I think there is a Sportsman's Warehouse in Seattle, but I haven't been there and can't speak for their selection. 

Quote:
SW on 4th Ave is Seattle has a dandy selection.  A feller should find what he needs there.

i checked out their website

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/stores_all.htm#wa

but there doesnt seem to be a seattle store.

Sad

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/12/06 at 04:30:53
Quote Print Post  
My Bad.  That is the Outdoor Emporium on 4thin Seattle just south of "The Safe"!!

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #14 - 03/13/06 at 15:25:47
Quote Print Post  
Sportsman's Warehouse is building a new store in Federal Way. Smiley

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo