Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Larry Gonczy will be missed... (Read 6269 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Larry Gonczy will be missed...
12/22/05 at 19:29:41
Quote Print Post  
As many of you already know (because of the phone tree) our dear Larry Gonczy passed away suddenly Wednesday night of a heart attack.  For nearly 15 years Larry and I sat in the boat together every Monday - fishing and laughing.  I won't go down memory lane yet - I'm still numb from the loss, as I am sure most of you are too. 

I will keep you updated as to when the Memorial Service will take place - tentatively it's set for Wednesday the 28th, but as Bernie makes final plans with her priest and the funeral home, we'll keep you informed.

I spent most of Wednesday night with Bernie and the family and of course they need your prayers.  This is not the way anyone plans on spending Christmas - saying goodbye to the husband and father you love.  I will thank you ahead of time for the cards and e-mails you intend on sending.  The club has lost a special brother who will be deeply missed. 

Remember: not everyone checks their e-mails regularly, so as soon as the Memorial Service details are available here on this forum - please call the other club members you know so they can have the opportunity to attend.

Larry was a great fisherman, a devoted member of this club, and one of my best friends.  To say he will be missed is a great understatement - but a true one! 

While I can't be sure (for none of my theology classes discussed this) I wouldn't be surprized if Larry and the Lord aren't sitting in a boat fishing in a heavenly setting.  And if that's true, Larry has probably found the first partner he can't out fish!  (But I'll bet he ain't complaining!)  Fish on Larry!

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Re: Larry Gonczy will be missed...
Reply #1 - 12/22/05 at 21:09:44
Quote Print Post  
What terrible news, what a great loss to the family, friends and fellow club members.  My prayers and condolences to the family.  He will be truely missed......

Mark

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/22/05 at 21:17:12
Quote Print Post  
So sorry to hear this.  I was more of a casual observer to Larry than a personal friend, but it was easy to see that he was a great person.  We'll miss you, Larry. Sad

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #3 - 12/22/05 at 21:47:14
Quote Print Post  
What a shock!  I feel like I've been hit in the face with a boat paddle.  Larry always calls me in the early morning when i get to work.  We discuss marketing and promotional ideas for the products we represent.  Larry was the person that opened the Owner Hooks door for me and that ultimately led to Shimano.  He was so very supportive when i lost Jennifer earlier this year.  I remember him with his "gamblers visor" playing cards at the Silver Lake tournament and speeding across the lake in his Stratos throwing the pennies he won the night before.
As usual he called me Wednesday morning and we talked for about 30 minutes.
I feel so empty now.
May God bless you Larry, and may you have peace and good fishing for eternity.

Smitty Cry Cry

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/22/05 at 21:59:45
Quote Print Post  
I'm stunned and very saddened by this great loss. He will be very missed. I have learned a lot from Larry and will cherish the stories and times I got to spend with him.

He had a great sense of humor and was allways willing to share information. He was very devoted to the Bass cause and WBC.

He will be missed.

I offer my condolences to the family and friends of the Gonzy's and believe he is in heaven doing his thing on some body of water.

Russell Baker

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - 12/23/05 at 03:55:36
Quote Print Post  
Of all the members in this club, past and present, not one has made a greater, more positive impact on this club than Larry Gonczy. Nearly 25 years of dedication and hard work for this club.  Nobody comes close to that.

I'm sure Larry has rejoined his friends and former WBC members Roy Sabin, Norm Owley, and especially his old buddy, Dick McElhinney.

Larry is best remembered by his genuinely kind demeanor and sense of humor. He was always happy to lend a hand and was the least offensive person you'd ever meet. You would never see him in a bad mood. It makes you wonder why the good ones leave us so early.

I can't even begin to tell you how saddened I am about this, and how terrible I feel for Bernie, Lucas, and Brianna.  Larry will be missed by all of us.  Cry

A Fisherman’s Prayer
God grant that I may fish
Until my dying day…
And when it comes to my last cast,
I then most humbly pray,
When in the Lord’s safe landing net,
I’m peacefully asleep, that in his mercy
I may be judged good enough to keep.

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/23/05 at 04:09:36
Quote Print Post  
Cry   Cry   Cry   Cry   I am very sad at this news. I know at the Sportmans Show this year, I stood and watched Larry promoting the Aqua-view camera to a number of customers in awe of his great ability to show that item. I was also very impressed with the companies that chose him to represent them. I liked talking to him at the raffle table. He was always fun to be around and very kind. I didn't know him as well as most of you do but I have been crying ever since I found out tonight.

LARRY - YOU ARE MISSED SO MUCH...FISH ON FOREVER!

Love, BW..aka Brenda.

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #7 - 12/23/05 at 04:48:04
Quote Print Post  
What a shock. I am getting  back into the club in 2006. I will miss Larry very much. Larry and I had some unfinished business, a motorcycle  ride. My sympathy goes out to his family. I will miss Larry's smiling face and his jokes very much.
John Holland

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/23/05 at 05:29:45
Quote Print Post  
Where to start?
From the beginning of my "Club Life" there was always that child like giggle mixed with the knowledge of a 30 year salt who could outfish you a hundred ways from sunday but would choose instead to beat ya by five or six fish.
I will always keep that memory alive and Bernie.....take solice in knowing that literally thousands have been touched by that little Biker of yours and our prayers are with you and yours this season.

IP Logged

shewhofishes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/23/05 at 06:06:28
Quote Print Post  
Our thoughts are with Larry's family at this time of loss.  No words can even come close to what Larry has meant to the club and to his friends.  Larry was a true friend to me during my year on the board.  His kind words and smiling face was the highlight of the meetings for me.  He will be missed greatly. I think that just maybe he is upstairs teaching our little boy, Logan, how to fish.
Thank you Larry,
Sherry & Jim

IP Logged

HOPSING
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/23/05 at 06:34:15
Quote Print Post  
Numb and in Shock!
Larry was a great friend, both fishing and in life.
He has been kind and thoughtful to my wife and son, as well - Banks Lake in Sept. just won't be the same.
I am so blessed that he saw something in me to take me under his arm and teach me about warm water fishing. I wouldn't be half the fisherman without his tutoring.
As for the club. he will dearly be missed.
His passion and devotion to make the club better, help guide it in the proper direction and ensure the basic FUN-dementals still mattered in a "family fishing club" is why many of us were still members.
It would be an understatement that his loss is HUGE!

I will miss the days of trying to out fish each other, out wit each other and see who could be the bigger smart*ss.
I will always be thankful of our relationship, his kindness and true friendship.

THANK YOU LARRY!!!

MIKEY

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/23/05 at 15:46:51
Quote Print Post  
I cannot describe my feelings about Larry any better than my WBC fishing family already has.  He was a great guy that I learned a lot from.  I too, will forever remember the Silver Lake tournaments and his stupid gambler's visor and that snicker of his, especially when he took your change.  You guys have all said how I feel, so I will leave it at that.  I am shocked and saddened at this loss.  God Bless the family and all of you.

Kirk and Family

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/24/05 at 00:48:39
Quote Print Post  
What a shock.  I don't think the meetings will be the same because of our loss.  God bless his family and friends. 

RIP Larry, keep on settin that hook.

IP Logged

fishinscott
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/24/05 at 03:09:19
Quote Print Post  
Hi Everyone.
I'm sure you don't know me, but I am the president of the Castmasters Bass Club of Washington.  I was in Auburn Sports & Marine today buying an Aqua Vu, and I heard the horrible news from Shannon, who was very shakey just talking about it.  It's obvious that the folks I talked to there today are tremendously saddened by the loss.  I certainly didn't know Larry all that well, except for the few chances I had to talk to him at sportsman shows.  I think all of us Bass fisher types owe him a great deal of thanks for his promotion of the sport in the Northwest.  Please accept the heart-felt condolences of all of our members, and please let me know if there is anything our club can do to help out his grieving family.   Cry

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/24/05 at 04:29:02
Quote Print Post  
Just another memory of Larry...Silver Lake in April sometime ago and it is cold, wet, windy and generally miserable as usual.  I see Larry pull up on a rock pile and I watch him set the hook and battle this "fish" for some time.  I got close enough to hear him grunting and groaning and then he began to cuss a blue streak.  He had hooked and landed about a ten pound grass carp, and he had it in the bottom of the boat and that is when the real entertainment value kicked in.  He wrestled with that thing for a few minutes and finally KICKED it overboard.  Funniest thing I can remember and I am laughing out load at the memory.  Same place, same year only August.  Club tourney and I am kickin' some bass for the first time ever.  I am using a blue sluggo and the fish were crunching it.  Larry and I are fishing towards each other on Timber Point and just as we get within talking distance, I am thinking, what am I going to say to the MASTER??  He was a legend to all of the newbies in the club at the time, and I was actually scared to even speak to him.  I had nothing to worry about, in fact, we visited for 90 minutes about soup to nuts.  I forgot all about fishing and just absorbed information.  I learned more about bass fishing at that time than I can ever recall.  He was the first to tell me about correctly matching rods, reels, line, and terminal to the style I was fishing.  He was also a very good tournament fisherman and gave me a lot of tips.  Especially the mental part of playing the game.  I will miss not seeing him again and thank him for stoking my bass fishing fire many years ago.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo