Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Goals for '06 (Read 8644 times)
Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Goals for '06
11/24/05 at 02:45:48
Quote Print Post  
What's your goals for next year for bass fishing?  I need to figure out the whole dropshotting thing.  Seems like I can't catch a fish past 20'.  I want to catch a 6lb LM and a 5lb SM.  So far my biggest is 5.5lb LM and 4.4lb Smallie.  Finally, I want to attend one of the fish-ins or tournaments next year.  I'm sure I can learn a lot from all you guys.   Oh yeah...the big thing...once car sales pick up maybe a new bass boat. Grin

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Re: Goals for '06
Reply #1 - 11/24/05 at 03:35:15
Quote Print Post  
setting goals for yourself is an important step to getting better.  Congrats to you for that Wink.  As for myself I was able to achieve one of my goals last year by winning a tourney.  This years will be different.  Rob M and I are fishing the Northwest circut.  Our goals will be aimed at that and not so much club related.  As for dropshotting, I to didn't have any confidence in it until two summers ago.  I spent ever free day I had on Samamish and Washington throwing a drop shot.  Even though I knew I could catch fish other ways.  Analyzing your weaknesses and working to make them a strength.  As for techniques, I will be working on different deep water techniques, ie doodling soft plastics for smallies.  Using my camera more efficiently is another for me.  I get so mesmerized by looking at stuff, I forget to fish enough.

Mark

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/24/05 at 04:47:39
Quote Print Post  
Hey Says, work on finding productive patterns instead of a size limit. Especially in tournament fishing, the consistency in catching fish will take you to the top 5 more often then just a big catch. If you find productive patterns, the bigger fish will come, trust me. I had my biggest ever Largemouth (8 lb 8oz) and Smallie (5lb 8oz) this year in WBC tournaments. Niether time was my goal to go "big fish" fishing. I just fished the productive pattern for that particular body of water and it paid off.

Like Mark said, try new techniques or sharpen the ones you are mediocre at. One goal is easy..tournaments...just go fish one. Don't be intimidated by these studs like Lyle, Kirk and Ron. They all started somewhere too.

As for catching deeper fish...

There is tons of water in a lake deeper than 20 ft. You need to find structure at those depths that are going to attract fish. Points, rocks, humps, breaks..etc. This comes from reading a map. Using a camera to look over these spots will give you confidence when you see fish. Then you just have to figure them out. Hope this helps..

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #3 - 11/24/05 at 05:42:40
Quote Print Post  
I don't know if I want to use the camera anymore...just joking.  On Sammamish this year my buddy and I spotted a bunch of smallies, but couldn't get them to bite.  We threw everything at them. Angry  It's frustrating seeing them swimming around and have lock jaw.  Oh...don't worry about me trying to get the BIG fish...I'll be happy just catching anything.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/24/05 at 06:20:04
Quote Print Post  
my first goal for 06 is to just fish more tourneys.  last year was a rough year for me.  secondly is to learn to use my electronics more effectively.  i would also like to win a WBC tourney next year.  And as a final 05/06 goal I would like to catch a bass in every cold water month this winter.

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/24/05 at 17:21:01
Quote Print Post  
Y2, it was only 4yrs ago that I caught my first bass deeper than 24'. Winter fishing for bass in Lake Washington is  the the best I've found in the last 10 year. I hear Sammamish is suppost to be good as well, I just haven't done as well so I usally end up on Washington. Show up for the Dec. fish-in and accoplish one of your goals. Feb is also an awsome month, my best Feb was 27 smallies, ask Ron Hankinson about one of those days. Smiley Shocked 8) (It was a great day....) Another bonus is that over half the fish you catch this time of year are over 3lbs. Smiley  Last Sat was a prime example, a 2.10, 4.4, 4.14 and a 5.4. This time of year dragging a jig or grub with a 1/4 oz. insert or lead head at a med walking pace over points, sloping edges that have structure on them. For more info come to the Dec. Fish-in. Brian (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/27/05 at 07:09:43
Quote Print Post  
I would love to hook up with you guys, but I work every Saturday.  Maybe I can go to work late that day.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #7 - 11/27/05 at 17:33:00
Quote Print Post  
Y2says,
  Brian hit the nail on the head!  Don't change what you're doing much.  More than anything, change your speed and depth.  Last winter, several of us caught fish all winter from deptths of 12' in Janruary, yes 12', to 50' all winter long.  Brians point of fishing points with a 1/4 oz. Gitzit has been VERY productive all winter.  BTW, he not "pulling your leg" about 27 fish in the dead of winter.  I was with him!  Slow down, pick a point and drag a Watermelon Gitzit around in 45-50 ft.  That snag will more than likely pull back!  Happy fishin'  Lastly, those fish don't wait 'till the weekend to eat!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/28/05 at 23:28:02
Quote Print Post  
Y2,

Throw more swim baits and fish deeper in winter and late summer. If you want to stick that 5+ lb smallie fish lake Wa in the spring. Its pretty easy then. In the last 5 years I have caught 5 smallies over 6 at that time in water less than 5 feet. For largies over 6+ , go out in the spring to one of the following lakes- Sawyer,Harts,Angle,Cambel,Ballinger,Spencer,Lawrence,Silver-Cowlitz, or Spencer. These lakes produce 6-8lb largies during the months of March,April, and May.

Good Luck,
Russ

IP Logged

RobAllen
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/29/05 at 03:40:17
Quote Print Post  
couple things i wanna do in 06
(1) Join you guys  for one of your  fish in's
(2)  actually weigh a fish at the Silver lake open
(3) figure out the migration routs for Columbia river smallmouth in the Fall.. This so i can stay on them year around.. This year my fish dissapeared  abot the 3rd week of August

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #10 - 11/29/05 at 06:38:50
Quote Print Post  
My 2006 goals:

1. Buy a boat that fits my wants and budget in time to fish the Silver Lake club tourney in it. (very achievable)
2. Buy a camper to allow my wife and kids to come to tourneys with me. (very likely to happen) - Bring my family to most tourneys this year.
3. Fish 2-3 tourneys with my wife.
4. Participate in Fish-Ins as a boater, as I got a lot from the other guys when I have fished them as a non-boater
5. Work within the club to bring back some events and programs that have been done in the club in the past to get more people involved in addition to tourneys, especially families fishing together.
6. Fish a tournament with my son (maybe a one-day outside the club if we don't think he can stay in the boat for a full 2-day tourney. He's 9.)
7. Improve my dropshot and casting skills, especially short-medium range spinning rod casting.
8. Make progress learning to locate fish and operate the boat effectively and productively.
9. Promote the sharing of info during tournaments, especially for those who are not as experienced and haven't been catching as many fish in tourneys as the more seasoned members. (If you place yourself in the category of less-experienced and wanting to share and receive info on spots, techniques and patterns, please contact me. I have some ideas I'd like to share with you.)

Other than that, not much.

Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/29/05 at 17:28:32
Quote Print Post  

SWIM BAIT....UHH HA HA

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/29/05 at 18:08:34
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

You like that swim bait idea??? I like Stu's answer.
Sharing by all members experienced or not should be a prerequisite for this club.
Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/29/05 at 22:04:30
Quote Print Post  
That's just my swimbait chant..it comes from "Finding Nemo." They call him Sharkbait in this one part when they initiate him in the tank and the other fish dude says "Sharkbait....Ohh ha ha" everytime they say Sharkbait. Those that have seen this will know what I am talking about. I don't know how to exactly spell...Ohh ha ha. Maybe these....

Swimbait....Uhh ha ha
Swimbait....Ewww ha ha
Swimbait....Uuuu ha ha
or
Swimbait....Uwww ha ha

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/29/05 at 23:06:29
Quote Print Post  
Goals for '06.  H-h-h-m-m-

1.  To hang on to my boat for more then a year!!!

2.  To sharpen some mediocre skills such as Crankin' and topwater fishin.

3.  To catch bigger fish then Rob.  I catch a 5#7oz. SM.   Rob catches a 5#8oz. SM  DOH

I catch an 8#4oz. LM.  Rob catches an 8#8oz. LM  DOH!

Rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo