Normal Topic Long or Spencer (Read 1577 times)
jwalzer
Ex Member

Long or Spencer
08/09/05 at 23:56:25
Quote Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on which of these lakes would be better this weekend.  I have never been to either but wanted to try to fish a lake on the other side of the bridge.  I have a friend that lives in Gig Harbor that is coming along with me and I figured I could just pick him up on the way.

Looks to me like Spencer could be really good, but it also looks to be a further drive.  If there is another lake over there that would be better to fish I would be up for that too.

Any help would be appreciated.

-jw

IP Logged

Baslayr
Ex Member

Re: Long or Spencer
Reply #1 - 08/10/05 at 15:06:40
Quote Print Post  
Long has been a bust lately with the weed growth taking away the oxygen.Jerry and I might try a midnight fish this weekend so the water won't be so hot.Next year they are treating the lake big time for weed growth.I hope it doesn't turn it into a dead lake.I think the weeds are the secret of this lake.I would try Spencer.We do good in the pad field by the ramp at the end of the day with floating weedless and watching the train speed towards the lure.Redchamp has this lake dialed in, so you might want to ask him for tips.

IP Logged

jwalzer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/10/05 at 23:16:29
Quote Print Post  
Any other words of wisdom?

-jw

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/14/05 at 02:55:05
Quote Print Post  
Probably too late, but I gotta comment about the weeds taking oxygen out of the water. This is not true, except in late Fall and Winter, when the weeds are dying and rotting. When the weeds are green, they produce oxygen. Living plants absorb carbon dioxide, and produce oxygen. The carbon dioxide comes from stuff decaying in the lake...wood, bark, weeds, wood crankbaits, etc. Of course, when they "treat" the lake for weeds, the weeds die off during the season of high fish activity, so reduced oxygen is very bad for fishing.  Tongue 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/15/05 at 01:17:29
Quote Print Post  
Steve,

Weeds also use up oxygen at night when there is no sunlight for photosynthesis. They don't have to be dying. So if a lake was really choked in the summer, it is possible to have reduced oxygen in weedy areas at night.

Chris "Double  Tongue"

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo