Normal Topic IAC-Boat Launchs (Read 1755 times)
REDCHAMP
Ex Member

IAC-Boat Launchs
07/24/05 at 20:09:54
Quote Print Post  
Members of WBC and Visitors,
This past winter I was nominated by the WDFW Warmwater Division for a citizen position on the BFP(Boating Facilities Program) committee for WA state. It's a committee under the IAC(Inter Agency Committee for Outdoor Recreation). I applied and was notified this spring of my appointment to a 4 year term. Part of the requirements  included the ability to attend 5 all day meetings per year on week days. Two in the summer for pre-applicantion project presentations, two in the fall for final applicantion project presentations and one in late fall for final awarding of money for the chosen projects.
Of course I was excited to be able to participate first hand in how monies get dispersed to the different boat launches facilities and related amenities across the state, for both fresh and salt water usage.
Last Wednesday and Thursday I spent all day both days in Olympia in the Natural Resources's Bldg listening to presentations, criticing and offering suggestions to some of the projects based upon my experience as an avid boater in the state of WA.
Some of these were so proposterous that I don't expect them back for the final and some were very much in need of financial help and very much needed by the local public. Interesting to say the least.
I forgot to count but I believe there were 12 members on this committee from all over the state. Half are employed by the state and half are citizen members such as myself. A very diverse group of people. According to a few of them, I had fast become the committee's expert on boat launching/truck trailer parking. LOL.
Some of these presentations appeared as if they were trying to re-invent the wheel as far as their launch facility was concerned. I was quick to point out what was obvious to us that use these facilities frequently.
The money available for these projects is derived from unclaimed taxes from gasoline used in outboard motors and is awarded to projects that will benefit  outboard motor driven, trailerable boats.  At the fall presentations we will be scoring these projects based upon certain criteria and the money will be awarded based upon our scoring.
I will be performing my part of the committee in an unbiased and fair manner.
I will keep you folks posted as for awarded projects and upcoming improvements to some of the facilites we utilize.
Just thought I'd pass this on. Sorry for the long windedness,
Mark Wells

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: IAC-Boat Launchs
Reply #1 - 07/24/05 at 20:45:10
Quote Print Post  
Great to know Mark, that we have a very qualified voice in this committee and boaters throughout will be well served.

p.s..........two words........skier traps!......he he he.... Grin

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/25/05 at 13:35:28
Quote Print Post  
Way to go Mark.  I know you will be a great advocate for all parties concerned. Smiley

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/25/05 at 23:18:22
Quote Print Post  
Thanx for the vote of confidence guys. I'll give er my best shot.
Mark

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo