Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Squawfish, good or bad? (Read 8561 times)
Chris B
Ex Member

Squawfish, good or bad?
07/18/05 at 18:59:18
Quote Print Post  
I was wondering yal opinions on squawfish in lake washington.  I have read mixed feelings on another message board, some saying get rid of them, others saying release them.  I witnessed a squawfish saturday on lake washington busting on a school of fry, don't think they were bass cause they looked to 'silvery'.  If they were salmon smolt, not only are they hurting the salmon, but also the bass Tongue.  Should they go back into the water alive?  I know I get mad when they slam a crankbait and I mistake it for a big bass.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Squawfish, good or bad?
Reply #1 - 07/18/05 at 19:20:33
Quote Print Post  
Hehehe. Some others in the club know this is my favorite controversial Lake Washington subject!  Grin

I say without a doubt, release them back into the water alive.

There are a few things to consider about squawfish, aka the politically-correct northern pikminnow. First, in Lake Washington they have never been shown to be detrimental to salmon populations. It is even debatable if they are really a problem in the Columbia River. They're also a native fish. They were here first, so show them a little respect, no matter how stinky and slimy they are.

One of the most important considerations has to do with WDFW regulations. Check them out! Northern pikeminnow are listed as a game fish. It is illegal to mutilate or kill gamefish without actually keeping them for food or other personal uses.

And finally, I am always annoyed that we pay so much reverence to one fish, the bass, that we often wouldn't even think of eating one. But then there is one ugly, slimy fish that doesn't fight very well, and eats some other fish in the lake, like most fish do, and we want to bonk it on the head for no good reason. It seems like a general lack of respect for nature.

There is my rant of the day. Yes, it felt good.

Chris  Grin

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/18/05 at 19:27:25
Quote Print Post  
I was hoping you would reply Sarge, since you have the education and knowledge I guess you could say on the subject.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/18/05 at 22:02:23
Quote Print Post  
If you can clean around all the bones, they cook up pretty good. 8)

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/18/05 at 23:05:13
Quote Print Post  
Amen Smitty

My grandmother used to clean them, cut them up in chunks and pressure cook them.  This made the bones a none issue and they were excellent used in all of the customary fish dishes.  Shocked

They were used in our family in sandwiches like the present day tuna fish.   8)

BillB

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/18/05 at 23:57:25
Quote Print Post  
Squawfish are EVIL.  That's why there is a bounty on their heads.  You should whack them over the head or gouge out their eyes.  This will ensure that all the birds that patrol the water get a free meal or two.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/19/05 at 05:35:16
Quote Print Post  
I ended my squawfish catches yesterday when I didn't catch one at lake washington.  You know Chris I had three in 3 trips.  I guess them biting is better than getting skunked, don't you think. Grin

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/19/05 at 05:37:56
Quote Print Post  
Agreed, Says  Grin

Doug, what can I say you SOB! LOL.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/19/05 at 13:29:45
Quote Print Post  
Hey Doug,
I always preferred to take my fillet knife and cut one set of their gills out. Shocked  It's kinda interesting to watch how they react to suddenly having the equivolent of full blown emphysema! Roll Eyes

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/19/05 at 14:48:14
Quote Print Post  
There is actually a sign at Coulon saying not to eat the northern Pike-minnow due to contamination. I don't see how they get more contaminated than any other fish that swims in there.........Sarge? Makes you kinda wonder about eating the Perch.

Of all the times I have fished Washington, I have never caught a Squawfish. I have caught plenty of huge smallies though....Maybe I'm not using a good Squawfish bait. Anyhow I haven't had to make the decision whether to whack one or slit a gill, or to just let it go.
« Last Edit: 07/20/05 at 14:33:12 by »  

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/19/05 at 19:13:46
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rob,

You bring up a good point that I should have mentioned. A study done by a grad student in our lab suggested that Northern pikeminnow are high in mercury and PCB's. The Department of Health is following up that study with another set of fish we collected for them. Until heavy contamination is proven conclusively, the state is being cautious and warning people not to eat them. Many asian and russian populations around the lake eat these fish frequently, so it is a concern.

The general principle for how contaminated a fish might be depends on the type of contaminant. Mercury for instance, is a heavy metal and sits at the bottom of the lake. Fish that eat little organisms living on the bottom, like sculpins, peamouth, small perch, etc. build up the contaminant. But, bigger fish like big perch, smallmouth, and pikeminnow that come by and eat these smaller fish REALLY build up contaminants and are the ones to watch. For instance, walleye in Lake Roosevelt are one of the most contaminated fish in the lake, and you are not supposed to eat very many, if any. The general rule is, the more fish another fish eats, the more contaminated it will be. Those higher on the food web are more contaminated. Updated Lake Washington consumption advisories should be coming out in the near future.

Chris

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/19/05 at 19:18:16
Quote Print Post  
Very interesting Sarge.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/20/05 at 14:32:21
Quote Print Post  
Well there is another reason to tell people about catch and release. Smallies are often caught dragging deep flats, thus on the bottom. They also gorge on perch and crayfish, also bottom dwellers. Maybe we can scare people into not eating them...worth a shot if the word gets out.  Wink

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/20/05 at 16:17:15
Quote Print Post  
Yes, sir. You can tell people that there are currently consumption advisories on bass:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/oehas/EHA_fish_adv.htm

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/oehas/publications%20pdf/statewide_%20bass_%20advisory...

The second link is a .pdf (adobe acrobat file) that may take a little while to load on slower computers. Page 12 has the main meaty info regarding the advisory.

Chris

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/05/05 at 01:46:25
Quote Print Post  
Hmmm... squaw fish, good or bad?  The eagles that follow my boat claim they are not only good, they're great!  As the self appointed "squaw fish king" of Lake Washington, the eagles know my boat and follow me around the lake knowing that sooner or later the meal of the day will be served up. 

Now, some of you are absolutely right, the squaw fish is not to be killed because it is a game fish, but somehow every one of those little rascals hits their heads on the edge of my boat as I try to release them.  I have never seen a fish so tender right over the eyes - just the smallest bump leaves them circling in the water until the gulls come.  As soon as the gulls disperse, it means the eagle has arrived, and chow is on.

Personally I am confused -  it was a game warden checking my license on Lake Washington who told me not to release them alive.  So what's a guy to do?  Deny the authority of the law?  I suppose as long as the slippery little devils keep falling on their heads as I try to release them, the eagles will feast.

Anyone know what the state record is for squaw fish?  I've caught some monsters - hope I didn't release a record fish...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo