Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) TROPHIES and PAYOUT (Read 6738 times)
EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

TROPHIES and PAYOUT
06/04/05 at 17:58:34
Quote Print Post  
Rob suggested we start a new "thread" on this.  Here you go Rob:
 I love the idea of "Rookie of the year" and would happily support that.  Another option is to, if not payout more places at tournaments, buy trophies for a 4th, 5th and 6th place finishes.  If I'm not mistaken, the club pays about $30 per trophy right now.  At 32 anglers per tournament, this equates to an increase of $3 per angler to double the "chance of winning".  I think most would happily pay it, especially for that person that took 4th by an ounce or two.  My second place at Potholes, the money was gone, filling up the tank of the boat puller, before I even left Moses Lake, but the trophy will last forever.  Increasing the number of payouts may not be the answer, but adding to the chance of a "wall hanger", would certainly motivate those who try for the momment to get in front of everyone, explain what they did and get a picture holding a trophy posted on the web site.  MY .02 cents  What do you all think?

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: TROPHIES and PAYOUT
Reply #1 - 06/04/05 at 18:19:07
Quote Print Post  
Ron,

I agree with you. So what is another say $5.00 for entry fee. I personally would like to have the chance to see everyone have a chance at the top 5, and that if you make the top 5 the prize money would be enough to pay for your expenses for that weekend. Man wouldn't that be great, do well and break even on your weekend.
I know our spouses would be much happier, not having to shell out between $200-300 bucks per weekend- just add that up. It would be a great bene to the top 5 to fish for free.

I know I am exaggerating a little but it is a great incentive and something to shoot for. Say you have 30 guys in a tourney, if what Ron says is true taking second and just paying for one expense during your weekend just doesn't make sense to me. Some of us have enough trophies to add dust to, I personally would like to see more cash-( As well as others) to pay for my weekend.

What are some of your thoughts?

Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/04/05 at 19:01:41
Quote Print Post  
I'd pay 5 more bucks.

We could even hand out a certificate for 4th and 5th if that would help the payout. I think the top 5 is a pretty good feat with the quality of anglers we have with the experience in the local lakes.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #3 - 06/04/05 at 19:30:28
Quote Print Post  
Here we go!  Guys, paying an extra $5 bucks isn't going to change the fact that WBC tourneys will NEVER be "moneymakers", even for a first place win!  I never have looked at the WBC tourneys as a way to do well and get your money back.  If you are heading' off to a WBC tourney with the intention of doing well and recovering your funds, GOOD LUCK!  The April draw tourney, I won and the winning covered the bill for camping for 2 nights, didn't touch fuel, food, or tackle expenses.  That's not why I go.  I too, have a bunch of trophies collecting dust Russ, but the thought of raising the tournament entry fees, for me, would be to allow more places a chance to "get a little limelight".  WBC tourneys are CHEAP.  They should remain that way.  Upping the 1st place payout doesn't help the participation issue.  Again, there are a ton of "money making" tournaments to enter statewide.  If you want to compete, win a trophy, hang with the club and catch fish, that's what our tourneys are for and I hope that doesn't ever change.  I can go blow $150 and enter any number of tournaments, but few allow most the chance at a trophy.  Another of my .02

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/05 at 19:39:59
Quote Print Post  
Ron,

I don't disagree with you Ron at all. Atleast it paid for the camping. Just some recooperation of expenses is great. The reason I fish in WBC is for all the fellowship, its a blast to hang with all the guys and swap stories,bs, and the like. Wouldn't miss the potlucks either. Ya a guy can fish bigger events, it was just a thought to help all who place in the top 5 or so.

My 2 cents,
RB

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/04/05 at 20:01:44
Quote Print Post  
All three of us are loosers anyways, hanging out in this forum on a Saturday where it ain't rainin'... Grin

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #6 - 06/04/05 at 21:02:12
Quote Print Post  
Rob,  boats got gas, could leave in 10 minutes, but I've fished 7 of the last 10 weekends.  I need a break!  What is wrong with me???????????

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/04/05 at 21:17:05
Quote Print Post  
I too am not fishing today, but at least I have a valid excuse....no boat! Ron, everything you said makes perfect sense...I like these ideas as well as the rookie of the year idea. All great ideas. Now, call me and lets go fishin Grin

Danny

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #8 - 06/04/05 at 22:16:32
Quote Print Post  
Okay, now I have guilt!!!  Call me and we'll go fishin' tomorrow!  Check your private messages!

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/04/05 at 22:34:11
Quote Print Post  
Whats your excuse for not being at the Fishing Kids event?  Tongue  J/k.  It was fun though.  The weather was great, I guess you guys are crazy for not fishing today.
I love the Rookie of the year idea, and more trophys or certificates would be great also.  Might give me a chance at limelight  Cheesy

Chris

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #10 - 06/05/05 at 21:50:17
Quote Print Post  
I have no interest in paying more $$ for higher payouts.  As it's already been said, WBC tournies are not money makers, so if you're in it of the $$, then you better find some other tournament series to fish.

That said, a year or two ago certificates were given out for 4th and 5th place without raising tournament fees.  I have a few and they look great!  I'm not sure why those were dropped, however.  Were they expensive to make?  If not, then perhaps we can have the best of 2 worlds: awards for top 5 finishers without having to increase fees.

btw - the Fishing Kids event was a blast.  Had one of the best WBC volunteer turnouts in a long time.  Hats off to everyone who showed up!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/06/05 at 03:15:30
Quote Print Post  
I don't care either way whether we raise fees or not but keep this in mind.....When the fee was set at $20, gas was probably half the price it is now.

Inflation.....sucks

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/06/05 at 05:15:40
Quote Print Post  
A few years back I tried to get the top 5 or 6 places paid. Went to a board meeting with my proposal. Even had the percentages figured out and written down. It ended up just being paper certificates. Not my idea. I wanted plaques and to spread the payout out further since we now have higher attendence at the tourneys.
I also think this would promote more attendence at our tourneys. Even if we had to raise the cost of the entrance fee to $25.00, so what. Everything else has gone up, doubled or tripled since these prices were set. Larry just came up with a different place to get the trophies(nice trophies by the way Larry)for less money. Everything has gone up.

IP Logged

grubber
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/06/05 at 12:52:06
Quote Print Post  
i'm new to tournament fishing, but been fishing for a long time. i don't know if i'd wanna hang a 5th place plaque on the wall. i would if it were a 3rd though. certificates for 4th and 5th would fit nicely in a photo album, i would think. maybe leave the entry fees alone, and raise the big fish entry? the beginners might have less chance at placing, but everybody who enters has the chance at getting the big one.

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/10/05 at 04:51:11
Quote Print Post  
Trophies down to 5th is an OK idea. But what if there is not enough anglers to cover the fees? I think Columbia a few years back only had a handful of people. I think that no money was awarded. Just barely cover the three trophies.
Oh well.

Mike

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo