Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sunscreen and Shirts (Read 7890 times)
StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Sunscreen and Shirts
05/20/05 at 05:26:18
Quote Print Post  
Hey, guys. i forgot to ask two questions tonight.

1) Can you recommend a good scent-free sunscreen? I assume that's what we need to be stealthy and not burn.

2) What kind of long sleeve shirts do guys wear in the hot sun? Can't buy a tourney shirt, but a particular kind i can buy at the mall?

Thanks,
Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Sunscreen and Shirts
Reply #1 - 05/20/05 at 14:29:24
Quote Print Post  
I'f you are going to buy a shirt for sunny, hot weather I would recommend one of those guide style shirts from Cabelas or BassProShops. You may even find them at GI Joes. They are made of a nice thin, cool fabric just for fishing in the sun. Jim Rumann has several I see him wear. I don't think you can match what your looking for at the mall unless its got a sporting goods store. The one at the supermall may have a shirt like that... Any other shirt probably would be too hot.

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/05 at 14:40:21
Quote Print Post  
As for sun screen if you don't want to get your hands full of scent they have the stuff you just spray on. I'm not sure if scent is much of a factor it wasn't last weekend.
My .02 cents or should I say scents

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #3 - 05/20/05 at 14:50:59
Quote Print Post  
Thanks, guys. See you at Potholes!

Stu

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/20/05 at 15:53:01
Quote Print Post  
I have some of that fisherman's soap. I wash my hands with it when I want to be sure to remove anything from my hands. It is supposed to get rid of scents...Then you can use whatever sunscreen you want.

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/05 at 17:22:22
Quote Print Post  
Rob's right about finding those thin long-sleeved shirts in the sporting goods stores.  Columbia Sportswear is a typical brand.  I have a couple of those shirts and they are great for sun protection without being too warm for hot days. 8)

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/20/05 at 19:13:53
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

You ought to rub that stuff on the rest of you as well Wink
RB

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/20/05 at 19:17:49
Quote Print Post  
The shirt I was wearing last night at the meeting is one like the rest of the guys were discribing Stu.  That is if you even noticed my shirt. Undecided
As for sunscreen, I reccomend the spray-on spf30 stuff from Nutregena(sp).  It works great and is not messy at all. Kiss

Smitty
Wink

Nanner Nanner

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/20/05 at 20:17:20
Quote Print Post  
Yeah you are probably picturing it right now huh Russ..... Shocked

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/20/05 at 20:40:32
Quote Print Post  
So Rob, did I tell you about the new buddy Russ found at Lake Sawyer with the fancy black speedo briefs? Grin

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/30/05 at 03:29:55
Quote Print Post  
Before the grey hair showed up, I used to be a red-head.  That means me and the sun don't get along.  Never tanned in my lifetime, but sunburned in 20 minutes.  So I own several of those thin longsleeve shirts and use them religiously. 

The first came from REI (and if I remember right, it was a little spendy).  The next one came from GI Joes and was cheap on sale.  The brand on the tag of the shirt says "10,000 FT Destination".  But I'm sure if you ask a sales person they'll get you to the right one.  They have breathing flaps across the back to help you stay cool.  I'd be scorched without them!

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/30/05 at 16:11:15
Quote Print Post  
Hey Stuie,  I got some of this stuff from Banana Boat called SPORT spf 15.  It is "ultra Sweatproof". 

I went out on Washington Sat.  I put this stuff on before I left home and washed my hands before I left.  I was in a short sleeve shirt all day.  And the sun burned.  I thought that my arms would be really cooked by that evening.  Not so.  It worked great.  But should have put more on my neck.

I could probably move into Mike W. neighborhood now.  REDNECK!

But anyway it really protected my arms.

BTW,  caught several keepers with a 3.6 SM Sat. and a 4.9 SM Sunday.  Mostly fishing boat houses on Lake Union.  I gave out several "pink slips" to house owners.  The ones that give the state statute for fishing around docks etc.  Most of them were pretty nice about it and if they were nice I would just move on.  But one old B@#%CH was real nasty.  After giving her the "pink" she still carried on.  Yelling that it was her rights to not have me fish around her "house".  And I said it was my "right" to fish there.  I fished there for about 20 min.  Just out of "throwing" range just in case.  But she was pretty old so I was still in casting distance.  LOL.  Boy, did I want to catch a fish there.  But no luck.  The 2 biggest ones still had eggs so they haven't spawned yet.

Rich

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #12 - 05/30/05 at 16:27:08
Quote Print Post  
Thanks, Chuck and Rich.  I'm going to pick up a few of those shirts at GI Joes.

Ricardo, nice fish! I haven't had many people yell at me, but, as with anything in bass fishing, it's all about time on the water...

Took my son out fishing at Whitman Lake out by Tanwax in my little Livingston and he brought his first bass to within 3 feet of the boat. It came unbuttoned because the hook wasn't set, but I was really proud of him. He loves casting with his spincasting set up, so I think he's going to be a WBC guy before too long. He fished for 5 hours with only one potty break, so his endurance is getting better.

In the afteroon, I came home and dropped my son off and took my 5-year old daughter out to the same lake. She caught her first trout ever and I got a picture of her with it. Its going to be a cute pic, except that the fish had a bunch of blood all over its side. We revived him and set him free.

All-in-all a great day of fishing with the kids.

Stu

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/31/05 at 01:43:52
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
BTW,  caught several keepers with a 3.6 SM Sat. and a 4.9 SM Sunday.  Mostly fishing boat houses on Lake Union.  I gave out several "pink slips" to house owners.  The ones that give the state statute for fishing around docks etc.  Most of them were pretty nice about it and if they were nice I would just move on.  But one old B@#%CH was real nasty.  After giving her the "pink" she still carried on.  Yelling that it was her rights to not have me fish around her "house".  And I said it was my "right" to fish there.  I fished there for about 20 min.  Just out of "throwing" range just in case.  But she was pretty old so I was still in casting distance.  LOL.  Boy, did I want to catch a fish there.  But no luck.  The 2 biggest ones still had eggs so they haven't spawned yet.
Rich

Hey Rich nice to hear you had a good day out on Lake Washington.  I have a new boat, just in case you didn't hear.  I was out on Washington saturday and today.  On saturday my only luck was under the I-90 bridge, I got a 2.5 and a 3.3 lb smallie.  Me and my brother went over to Union on wednesday.  I only caught 1, but didn't fish the boat houses.  Mostly the stretch by gasworks park.  BTW, what is a pink slip???  Any areas you particularly like?

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/31/05 at 01:48:20
Quote Print Post  
Also I can vouch for the banana boat sunscreen.  I must have gooped it up good on my left bicep because thats the only part that didn't get burnt on me saturday  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo