Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1995 Mercury 200hp EFI (Read 7027 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

1995 Mercury 200hp EFI
04/25/05 at 16:12:48
Quote Print Post  
OKAY -

I have had some interesting challenges with the ol' merc outboard this year and need to know what some of my wrench head angler brothers and sisters think about this one.  The boat runs very strong down the lake at high rpm, but I have difficulty starting after some down time  while fishing.  Turns over, but behaves as though it is out of fuel.  I test the ball and it is empty.  Takes twenty-thirty pumps to fill it up with fuel again and then I get it fired up.  Runs real strong then at high RPM, but if I am a slow plane, it is cutting out.  I also noticed a small sheen after I pumped the bulb up.  The fuel pump is working fine and I did not notice any thing out of the ordinary when we returned to the boat ramp and I pulled the cowling.  My theory is that I have a bad bulb and/or leaking fuel line that is sucking air.  I intend on replacing the section of fuel line and the bulb to see if that cures my problem.  Anybody else have any thoughts.  Other than that the boat screams.....

Kirk

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: 1995 Mercury 200hp EFI
Reply #1 - 04/25/05 at 16:48:17
Quote Print Post  
I would say that too Kirk....it is cavitating at lower demand by sucking in air from somewhere...maybe even recut and reclamp at all connections.......Larry.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/25/05 at 18:29:28
Quote Print Post  
I had the same problem with my Merc 225 on the Cobra.  I went to the Mercury Outboard forums at WWW.BBC.com and got this answer.  Replace the fuel bulb.  I did and no more problems.
NUFF SAID!
Smitty
Wink

NANNER NANNER

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/25/05 at 19:49:59
Quote Print Post  
Two of the guys I wanted to hear from.  I feel a bit better now about my diagnosis.  Thanks.

Kirk

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/25/05 at 20:08:35
Quote Print Post  
Only suggestion I have would be that the fuel line has been contaminated somewhat and has caused the rubber to deteriorate.  Either way, replacing bulb and rubber line should do the trick.

Mark

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/26/05 at 01:01:47
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

Spread some smashed banana at the tips of the fuel line to help it slide on over the fuel nipples.

That's just funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, and you already got some good info  Grin

Chris

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/26/05 at 01:33:41
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

That small sheen you see is the Banana Juice. Wink
Russ

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/26/05 at 02:08:26
Quote Print Post  
Try calling a fellow angler and have them tow you back to the launch. Then half way back figure out what was wrong with it and pass the tow boat. Oh, whats that? You have already tried that. Sorry.

It has to be the ball. But replace all the hose. From the motor to the tank. Don't do it half ars. I had that problem with one of my motors.

Mike

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/26/05 at 22:59:29
Quote Print Post  
From Mike W.  "It has to be the ball. But replace all the hose."........    Jeez, Mike, if you must know, the hose is clear and fully functional at last report, and the ball, though it may be sagging a bit and needs replaced, has performed admirably for some time.................this is really the first time I have had issues of any sort with my motor.  BTW, is the photo the new pad??? 

KH

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/27/05 at 05:40:57
Quote Print Post  
So which is it then? The ball or the hose? It sounds like one of them is not delivering the juice.

Do you like the new pad? Me and Shannon decided to down grade on our living pad so I could afford a new boat. Man is she great. We are thinking of adding a sun deck off the left door (thats the bedroom). Any chance during the tourny season we could park it over in your area so we are closer to the action?

Also, anyone have experience with that green fiberglass roofing stuff. I would like to work some of that stuff into the picture. I believe that would top it off.

Mike

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/27/05 at 14:32:52
Quote Print Post  
If you cannot locate the green roofing, I have some old blue tarps and lots of duct tape.  BTW, I did see some pink flamingos at a recent garage sale.  I can probably get tehm for a song for you and Shannon.  She must be so proud......
kh

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/27/05 at 16:34:43
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,
Did you see any long chairs. I think they would go great with the pink flamingos.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/27/05 at 16:46:46
Quote Print Post  
You can get a little blow up pool for the front also.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/27/05 at 19:39:18
Quote Print Post  
How about christmas lights, those always add a warm glow.
RB

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/27/05 at 20:42:00
Quote Print Post  
I would suggest some home security the BIG Dog on a chain. Of course he lives in the broken down old car next to the trailer.

Carlos

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo