Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How Many Rods?? (Read 3823 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

How Many Rods??
04/03/05 at 22:31:21
Quote Print Post  
Guys,

How many rods do you bring for a tourney? I have been wondering whether I should pair down since I always bring to many (13+) for an event. I know it depends on the Lake, but lets say for the Potholse club event as an example?
Russ

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: How Many Rods??
Reply #1 - 04/04/05 at 00:01:31
Quote Print Post  
Russ, you're right. Thirteen Snoopy Rods is way too many.  Shocked 

Seriously, you have enough experience on Potholes to make a list of techniques you know that you'll use, with a few backups for weird weather, etc.  Nothing wrong with having some options in the rod locker, just put your main sticks on top, whatever they may be.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/04/05 at 00:20:36
Quote Print Post  
Geez Russ,  you can never have too many rods...HAHA.

I usually like to have 6 rods on deck.  Flippin'/pitchin rod, carolina rod, 2 bait casting and 2 spinning.  That pretty much covers my needs.  But then there is at least one drop shot rod, m/heavy carolina rod and one bait casting rig in the rod locker.  I usually select the 6 rods prior to going to the lake.  As Steve said if you have fished the lake before then you pretty much know the techniques that can be used there.

Since I don't have as much storage room as you big guys I have to keep it narrowed down.  And you still see my boat is a mess.  But I am getting better.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/04/05 at 03:57:10
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys,
Yea I know the holes pretty well. Just sometimes feel that there is something missing in my rod selection.
Russ

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/04/05 at 14:19:27
Quote Print Post  
Geez, Im right there with you Russ.  I hate the idea that I don't have the proper equipment or lure selection to get the fish to bite.  I always feel like I am on fish, and it is just a matter of the right presentation.  ( Read, right rod, reel, lure combo.)  Not have a 20 ft boat doesn't help either.  Like Rich, I a little cramped on space.  This year I will be working on sticking to one or two things that are working and then moving more to get more water covered rather than sticking to an area and getting those particular fish to bite.  In other words LESS rods and equipment up on the deck, but more running and gunning.

Mark

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/05/05 at 00:11:38
Quote Print Post  
Thanks mark and gang,

Yea I have gotten so many rods in the past and picking up two more from Ordella, that I believe I will have to sell some of my older stuff. I just get in a habit of rigging everything ahead of time and have way to many rods in boxes and on top that I believe I will start to just put 6 rods on the deck and call it good. With these new rods from Ordella I am finding that you do not need all the rods you used to have. They can be fished for many different styles.

Thanks again,
I was feeling a little overwhelmed.
Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/05/05 at 15:57:22
Quote Print Post  
Sometimes I have several rods rigged with slightly different baits like a few different crankbaits or spinnerbaits. Sometimes a color or depth change will make a difference. My rod selection is something like this.

Casting Rods..
1- Cranking rod with shallow crank
2- Cranking rod with different color or different depth crank.
3- Spinnerbait
4-Topwater or jerkbait

Spinning rods...
5- Weightless Senko
6- Dropshot
7-Light Texas rig
8-Same as rod 8 for different color or just as a backup.

This is a standard setup. Lakes like Silver Lake wouldn't look like this at all. Be more like...

1- Flippin/Pitchin stick
2- Flippin/Pitchin stick..different bait or color
3- Flippin/Pitchin stick..different bait or color
4- Weightless Senko
5- Crankbait
6- Spinnerbait
7- Topwater...depending on time of year

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/05/05 at 23:56:32
Quote Print Post  
Great topic, Russ.  You've fished with me so you likely know my preferences, but for others, I try and keep on my boat deck three rods based on what and where I am fishing.  Now that does not mean I do not have more in the boat, it just means that I do not like clutter on the deck.  When fishing with others in their boats, I carry only four.  I try and carry equipment that will be able to do multiple things.  If a tourney, a spinnerbait rod can quickly handle any texas rig I may have, for example.  I also always carry a 6'6" spinning outfit to handle senkos, or any weightless application that I may encounter.  This rod also works for split shotting and even some deeper caroina style fishing.  I always carry a fiberglass rod, as that gives me multiple options as well. 

Kirk

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/06/05 at 00:10:10
Quote Print Post  
Thanks a million guys for your replys. I like Kirks idea about the 4 rod issue when you are fishing with a partner. Yea after the Silver tourney I realized I needed a better solution after my partner stepped on several of my rods on numerous occasions that I needed to come up with a better plan.

Thanks Again,
Russ

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #9 - 04/06/05 at 01:56:45
Quote Print Post  
Guys,
  My thoughts, depending upon a few things like time of year, weather, wind etc......  For example, a split shot rig on a rod on the deck when the wind is blowing 30+ mph is useless.  A flippin' stick on Potholes outside the dunes is useless, a Carolina rigged rod back in the dunes is useless etc.  If by day two of a tournament, I have more than two or three rods on the deck, it's too late!!!!!!!!  The perfect scenario is, wake up Sunday morning, blast off with all your spinning rods with the same bait (in case you break off) and use the same bait all day.  I show up to a tournament with no more than 7 rods in the boat because honestly, do you have confidence in more than 7 baits at the same time?  I feel confident in the bait I'm throwing, not how many I could potentially throw at them.  It may just be me, but the more rods to my disposal, the more my mind says to me, "why aren't you throwing that?"  I would much rather lose a tournament knowing I threw a bait religiously that I have confidence in, rather than "fling everything in the boat at em'"  Just my thoughts.

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/06/05 at 02:38:41
Quote Print Post  
Well I agree that when you are on a pattern, most of the rods will just sit. But there are times when you see something that just says "throw a spinnerbait in here" or "run a crank down that." It doesn't mean I use everyone the same amount of time. I may throw a crank or jerkbait just in a few ideal spots, but it is better to be ready when you see that opportunity than to pass it up because you didn't have something tied on or to waist the time to rig up. Then your partner throws in there and sticks a fish....

Just something to think about........

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #11 - 04/06/05 at 02:58:27
Quote Print Post  
Rob,
  I agree completely!!!!  But imagine this, a place where you go to, you know where the fish are, you know what to catch them on and YOU ARE CONFIDENT you can catch them!!!  That's what I was talking about.  A weightless bait for those you can see and a weighted bait for those you can't.  Can you tell I have Potholes on my mind.  Terry, BTW, did I tell you I'm going to Potholes this weekend?  Inside joke to the rest of you.
  Rob, The scenario was the one we all plan on but seldom comes to fruision.( not sure of the spelling on that last word). Grin

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/06/05 at 03:14:14
Quote Print Post  
Ron & Rob,

Very good points. Yes it does fall down to confidence, but it is important to have the mind open as Rob suggested. Sometimes the mind wonders too much, as Ron states about which Rod I should be using. I guess that with all the great baits and rods to macth can get a little overwhelming. Take Potholes as Ron says, that sometimes your in an area flipping and then see a bass cruising then you throw your senko or weightless worm-Good Point Ron or spinnerbait. Sometimes for me depending on where the bass is cruising to I might stay with the same rod and pitch further say 30 feet or sometimes I may throw a jerk bait and see if I can get any response.

Thanks,
Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/06/05 at 16:29:14
Quote Print Post  
That's why fishing is great! Everyone has a different perspective. It's the person who's ideas and strategies, mixed with some execution, work at that time on that body who win the tournaments. We all approach the same bodies of water differently and our arsenal will vary. Then at the end of the two days, It's great to hear what the winners did to pull the weights in. Then you can learn and go back to the ole drawing board for next time....if you weren't the one on top.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/02/05 at 21:38:44
Quote Print Post  
I have also experimented with the "mulit-use" idea. I tie a "Speed-clip" one my medium action baitcast setup, I can change between topwater Spooks and Chuggers/Crankbaits/Rattletraps in a few seconds without retying. I have even used larger Wide-gap hooks and Jig-heads (hooks with built in weights) as well as Jig-n-pig on the one rod without having to completely re-rig.

I still tend to carry too many rods at one time when backseating. I guess it's the "fear" of not having exactly the action and rig to catch fish - I'm also trying to cut back to 4-5 rods max when backseating.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo