Normal Topic Old Wives Tales or Fishing Truths (Read 1772 times)
S._Basser
Ex Member

Old Wives Tales or Fishing Truths
04/30/05 at 03:51:32
Quote Print Post  
In answer to some discussion of weather effects on bassin' on the iFish forum, my friend BuKuBass posted the following old fishing saying. I thought it might be good to share this with those new to bassin'. 

"Wind from the West, fish bite the best.
Wind from the East, fish bite the least.
Wind from the North, do not go forth.
Wind from the South blows bait in their mouth." 

"Our (Oregon) prevailing weather pattern is a west to east flow. East winds are associated with a storm approaching from the west and due to the low pressure area it pulls the wind into itself.

West wind=a high pressure area off the coast with stable conditions.
East wind=approaching storm, unstable.
North wind=cold front coming down from Canada, bad news.
South wind=warm air coming up from the south, rising water temps, increased activity."  BuKuBass

Definitions:
"Cold Front"....clear skies, cool evenings, high barometric  pressure of about 30 to 31 inches of mercury.

"Warm Front" or "Storm Front" ...cloudy skies, black clouds coming from the SW, rain, wind, etc. Low barometric pressure of about 29 to 30 inches of mercury.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Old Wives Tales or Fishing Truths
Reply #1 - 04/30/05 at 05:52:07
Quote Print Post  
I agree with most of that except one little part. If you have sunny, clear days with low to no wind, for several days in a row, then your in a stable condition. The barametric pressure should also be stable in these conditions. When the weather starts coming in and things start changing....then your front is coming. I found the bite to be tough 1-2 days after the front has came in. The bite has usually been good a day before it actually arrives.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo