Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Paint for plastics (Read 4947 times)
Rich
Ex Member

Paint for plastics
03/21/05 at 21:29:42
Quote Print Post  
I have lure-coat and spike-it worm & chunk paint.  They won't stay on the plastics.  They just kind of gum up and then rub off anything they touch.

Want do you use and do you do anything to the plastic before you appy the paint, ie. wash them, use a solvent, or anything else to get the paint to adhere to the plastic?

Rich

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Re: Paint for plastics
Reply #1 - 03/22/05 at 02:37:34
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rich, First thing you need to use some distilled alcohol to clean your plastics of oils and such. Then take some 80-100 grit sandpaper and give it a vigerious rubbing, then apply the paint to whats left of your bait,  Shockedput in in the pre-heated oven with the temp set on low, (don't ask how I know) Roll Eyes then remove after 10min. carefully put on a cooling rack, then after that they'er ready to use. Tongue or you can do what I do and just be real careful with the liquid dip. Grin  If there's anything else you need help with just give a yell! Wink Brian (The Weedwalker)   P.S. make sure the fire extingisher is nearby........

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/05 at 03:13:30
Quote Print Post  
Hhhmmm...now I think I know how she makes those great chartruese "snicker-doodles" Shocked

Rich

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/27/05 at 00:09:20
Quote Print Post  
Rich, are you referring to hard plastics like crankbaits?? Try using the paints that are made for plastic model aircraft etc.....

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/27/05 at 17:05:27
Quote Print Post  
No,  I was referring to plastic worms, craws etc.  When I use the dip stuff it just seems to coagulate and then comes off in the first cast or two.

Rich

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/30/05 at 05:46:09
Quote Print Post  
Rich, I've only used "Ranger" brand dyes. Russ Baker used to rep for them. The dyes worked fine, but I gotta say, I never caught a fish on something I dyed. I would speculate that it's the scent or salt on the plastic you're trying to dye that's causing problems.

As always, I'll suggest trying three or four stocked colors, and don't worry about it. Light, dark, or in between. Green Pumpkin seems to always work for me, but if I have to, I'll use Watermelon and not worry about it. It's just not that important...close is good enough. IMHO.  C&R, Steve
« Last Edit: 03/31/05 at 06:45:38 by »  

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/30/05 at 17:51:02
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Steve.  The thing that I like to do is just dip the tip of the claws or worm in chartruse.  Just to give it a little different look once in a while.

Rich

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/30/05 at 17:56:18
Quote Print Post  
I think I have some of that Spike-it stuff, but it isn't paint. It is a liquid and smells like paint thinner(strong smell). I have never had any problem with it. You dip it in and shake the excess off and it dries in a few minutes. I'll double check the name on the label for you. I have used chartruese and red.

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/30/05 at 19:02:16
Quote Print Post  
Rich

The spike-it you bought is know good. The spike-it should be just liquid with no chunks or slimy things. I always open them in the store before buying them. I use the garlic scented chartruese spike-it and never had any problems. I usually dip it and throw it in the water and it dries(Seals) instantly. If I dip them in advance I lay them out till they dry.
If that doesn't work buy the color worms you want

Daryl

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/30/05 at 20:59:35
Quote Print Post  
O.K.  another trip to Sportco.  I have the spike-it and a couple others but like you talked about they have slimy clumps in them.  Maybe they are just no good.  I will check them in the store.  If I come across some that have been opened before I will know you have been there.

Thanks, Rich

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/11/05 at 20:59:06
Quote Print Post  
I also use the SPike-it in Black and just dye the very ends of the worms, same as you would with Chartreuse... both colors I have are also Garlic scented and they are liquids.... they work really well.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/12/05 at 00:44:54
Quote Print Post  
Rich,

Quit snorting the dye. It usually works better when you use it right. Ha,ha Wink Wink
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo