Normal Topic Hey, who took all the Perch? (Read 2505 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Hey, who took all the Perch?
12/20/04 at 05:15:48
Quote Print Post  
Went out for the first "Post Surgery test flight" and was hoping to get some Perch from Lake Wa. on Saturday and only got one??

WAS WIT DAT?
someone is apparently taking too many and it is'nt Russ!!
Good day on the water though!!
Tongue

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Re: Hey, who took all the Perch?
Reply #1 - 12/20/04 at 15:24:53
Quote Print Post  
Hey Larry,  maybe they snipped your "PERCH NERVE".

Rich

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/20/04 at 23:51:13
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

You forgot your Wheaties. Yeah , it will be awhile before I can get back to jerkin any perch. Therapy is pianful Cry Cry Cry Cry but going well
8).

My goal is to get out in February. Maybe I will work on my flippin at Silver to strengthen my wrists and senkbo.

So all the Perch in Lake Wa will be safe for awhile.
Russ

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/21/04 at 01:40:04
Quote Print Post  
I went out last month and took a few. I hope I didn't take them all. Since I want to take a trip out this week. Better luck next time Larry.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/21/04 at 13:30:20
Quote Print Post  
Larry,
  I know what you mean, on 4 different occasions, I have only ran into a big school once.   The rest of the time, it was just a perch here and a perch there......  Most of the perch I have ran into were on the north end of Mercer island in 60 to 73 ft of water....

Mark

IP Logged

Larry G.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/22/04 at 13:45:00
Quote Print Post  
The word down at Auburn Sport and Marine, has been quite a few of the walleye club members have been out trolling for Perch and continue to do well.
Trolling smaller Rapalas size 7's - 9's and 2" grubs, in 50 - 75' of water.
During the winter months we do not waste a lot of time looking for those large schools on your depth finder. This time of year, you will find the majority of those schools have broken down and fish are hugging the bottom. This is why trolling is still providing good results, cover a lot of water, and don't forget that Smelly Jelly.
Larry G.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/23/04 at 04:16:32
Quote Print Post  
Larry is alsolutely right - downsize your cranks.  While my partner was smacking the smallies Monday with the Rev-rig, I experimented by going down in size and started walloping the perch!  He never got bit by a perch.  Same jointed minnow style - but Size was the key!  Since I was NOT interested in perch I went back up a notch and the problem went away.  The schools of perch have definitely spread out all over the bottom, so three-way rigging is a great way to cover the water.  Remember, you probably will not see them on the depth finder when they are on the bottom - but believe me, they're there!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/27/04 at 16:45:04
Quote Print Post  
I have to agree that you won't see them on the depth finder. I would catch fish and there was no sign on the depth finder. The key is to cover water in the correct depth. Take the advise and fish the depth that is working for others and cover water. I happened to use the #11 Rapala and got all perch. My Dad put on a small Daiwa minnow and got the only smallie. Go figure.

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/10/05 at 03:13:16
Quote Print Post  
Wink  This is good info for a learnin' fisherman such as me. Thank you,

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo