Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) ESPN Bassmaster Series (Read 4132 times)
Rob M.
Ex Member

ESPN Bassmaster Series
11/01/04 at 17:12:09
Quote Print Post  
BASS and ESPN started a new series this year called "The ESPN Bassmaster Series." It consists of 80-1 day tournaments throughout 4 regions. It is suppose to give the "weekend angler" a chance to compete.

I'm glad they forgot about us far-west anglers!!!! I guess we get to travel to Texas to fish a cheap, one day weekend tournament. Angry

Like they don't have enough tournament circuits to choose from.

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Re: ESPN Bassmaster Series
Reply #1 - 11/01/04 at 19:20:31
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

They are testing it on the east coast. It should be available next year on the west coast.

Daryl

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/01/04 at 19:41:41
Quote Print Post  
The biggest problem with the west with BASS is not filling up the tourney field. At the last Citgo tourney I fished it was about 21 boats short. Now you would think that California would have enough anglers to fish in this but I guess not. They said that they rarely fill the tournament on the west coast. So I doubt if we will even see it in the next couple of years.
Russ

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 11/01/04 at 19:55:58
Quote Print Post  
You are right, Russ.  BASS has no plans to expand in the West. Did you notice this year's Bassmaster University schedule?  Closest class for us is Texas!  Clearly BASS has turned their backs on the West... again.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/01/04 at 20:27:13
Quote Print Post  
I guess the amount of water would hurt us. The big bodies of water they like to use are stretched out more in the West than in the South-east. I mean they have only used the Columbia for Washington. So you have to go down to California for the other events they have had. This new circuit would have to use other water (closer to peoples homes) to attract more "weekend" anglers to participate.  

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/02/04 at 00:09:43
Quote Print Post  
Hey I'm tired of hearing how bass is turning their backs on us. maybe if we did our best to get other kids like myself more interested then maybe they'd come. if only we had some one come out of Washington pur say. That has the charisma to get people interested. Then maybe they start working their way west. Isn't my understanding that they brought the bass university here to washington at BCC. And it only got maybe 300 people to show. Were in the south and east they have thousands showing up. Maybe it's just a coincidence that the moneys in the south and not in the west. Their trying to run a bussiness. And isn't the first part of bussiness suppose to go were the money is. I mean come on Glenn and Maglio don't say bass is turning their backs on us. Instead try to make them come here. By helping fill up the tournaments and showing up to bass university. Show them the west belongs. They already know western anglers belong on those days when finesse is a must. But how weny western fishermen do you see in the top six none. maybe a few from Japan. O I forgot Arron Martens and Skeet Reese. In the west we have to learn how to adjust to southern waters until more of us start showing up to compete with the big boys. Compare the amount of southern anglers to the amount of western anglers. In the south bass fishing is next to god behind nascar. Sorry guys for such the long post.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/02/04 at 01:00:44
Quote Print Post  
You know when I fished the Open at Shasta about two weeks ago the entrants I met went as follows-80% from California, about two from Arizona, 2-3 from Nevada, One from South Dakota, 3-4 from Japan, and about 6 of us from Washington. Yes it would have been great to see more from our state there to compete, but not many of us have the luxury to spend $400 for a non-boater entry fee and a $1000/Boater fee plus all expenses.

It cost me roughly $700 to fish this event plus time off from work. Now you understand why I didn't fish in the club this year. I was saving up to fish this event and will fish more of these in the future. Now you say $700 is a lot of money but I split the cost with another guy who went as an observer. He paid for the hotel and I paid for all the gas and entry fee. Now most guys either camp or get a room at Motel 6 for about $40/night so that would lessen some expense.

But for those that are wondering wow could I fish in this event, I say heck ya. If you work together to split expenses other than the entry fee it is an absolute blast to fish this event. I would recommend it to anyone.
I averaged each year about $250 of expenses for a WBC event, so I figured if I pass on WBC events I could have the money for the Big Stuff. Unfortunately I missed some great times with the club, but that is the price I paid. I just couldn't afford to do both.

Hope to see more Western Guys other than myself to fish the BASS Opens in the future because we have some great fisherman in this club who could kick some bass but at these events.
RB

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/02/04 at 01:23:13
Quote Print Post  
This is a little off subject, but I think if someone was to run the numbers, Washington state anglers compete as heavily in west coast tournaments as California anglers do... Yes, of course there are more Californians number-wise, but I would be interested to see a per-capita number.

I bet the number of Washingtonians fishing large California tournaments divided by the number of freshwater fishing license holders in Washington is larger than that same calculation for California!

I may have to do the math sometime. But if someone is bored, check it out and report back!

An interesting thought at least...

Chris

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/02/04 at 04:58:08
Quote Print Post  
Sarge,

You are probably close!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RB

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/03/04 at 00:26:34
Quote Print Post  
How about Jeff Boyer and Luke Clausen??? Two Washington anglers holding their own (and more) against all-comers. But as Glen and others have pointed out - two guys.... is hardly enough to have BASS flocking here.

I guess the other fact is that everyone else except us has a long way to travel to fish WA waters, I can't see KVD, Denny Brauer and the rest of the "big boys" making such a long drive when they have loads of closer venues.

It sucks, but is "almost" understandable.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/03/04 at 19:49:59
Quote Print Post  
Right, why would they drive over when they have BASS in there backard and all the FLW series. They have a lot more "leagues" so to speak to get anglers interested. The scale on the West doesn't have to be as big. Maybe the payouts could be lower because of lower turnout. I just think they should try some things to involve the West Coast. Start with some smaller level events. Give guys the confidence to fish a BASS. The bass anglers are there. Growing up in California, I know they are there. You see bass boats every other garage. It's growing in WA. I talk to guys that just out of nowhere want to be bass anglers.  

There are good anglers here and I would like to see them exploited more. Martens recently moved to Alabama I believe. Why? To fish BASS.  

What bothers me was here they had a good thing going that could possibly involve more anglers and we don't get to try it. Hopefully they expand in years to come.

The reason you don't see West anglers in the top six is because there aren't many that can travel 1000 miles to fish the event. Hence less get a chance to make it to the Classis and so on. We don't have to learn their waters. We fish in some of the toughest conditions year round. That's why the few (Reese, Martin) that get to fish down there do pretty good. And lets not forget Clausen.

Thats what I want to see. More of these western anglers with the chance to qualify for the bigger, championship events and stir those east coast numbers up.

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/03/04 at 20:22:40
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

What I hear from the Federation is the "Grassroots" tournaments are coming to the west. They are just seeing how it works out before they migrate west. Don Rucks, General Manager of BASS said,"The tournament series begins with 80 regular season tournaments. In 2005, the series includes four regions, with an expansion planned for 2006".

As far as the other professionals coming west to fish, is why should they? Most professional anglers are from east of the mississippi or real close. If they come out west they are totally out of their element. Most anglers struggle in clear water lakes and rivers. They are use to throwing big baits and big line in dirty or stained water. Why would they spend the big bucks to come and fish when their chance of winning are nil. Believe me this is big business and these guys fish the high percentage tournaments where they can take home a pay check. I do think things are getting better and ESPN is heading BASS in the right direction.

It all starts with local participation and then interest will grow through Federation and the BASS open tournaments. But not everybody has the same desire to suceed or challenge themselves. Some people are happy just the way things are. It is mostly up to the individual to take action and follow there dreams, what ever it may be.

I just received this email-Daryl,

We are planning expansion for 2006 and beyond.  The west is on the table, we are looking at all possible areas of expansion.  Thanks for your inquiry and your support of BASS.

Sincerely,

Michael Presley
Tournament Manager
ESPN/BASS
« Last Edit: 11/03/04 at 22:56:36 by »  

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/04/04 at 00:46:00
Quote Print Post  
The average fisherman here in the NW thinks Salmon and trout, you mention Bass and you get a blank look.  That is why it will be slow in getting any consistent B.A.S.S. tournament support.  Even local outdoor talk radio etc spends very little time talking Bass fishing, even the Lake reports for Lk. Washington talk about all the perch that are being caught.  People are surprised when you mention catching a Smallmouth from Washington.

The increased coverage nationally by ESPN et al, will eventually bring about a better appreciation for bass fishing in our local waters, but it will be a very slow process.  As for now, all of us can enjoy the relative peacefulness of our bass fishing endeavors.  Not finding a bassboat already in your favorite hotspot is kind of a luxury that I am not sure our southern brothers are all that familliar with from what I have heard. 

If it is meant for you to hit the BASS trail, I am sure that you will find a way and I wish you the very best. 

BillB

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #13 - 11/04/04 at 05:41:37
Quote Print Post  
Good point Bill.  We do enjoy a certain luxury that other bass anglers in the east don't have - less competition fishing the same waters.

When I was at Toho (Florida) earlier this year, we stopped at a bait shop to pick up some live shiners.  You'd think there was a tournament going on judging by the sheer number of bass boats in the parking lot.  There was about 15 - 20 boats jammed in the parking lot -  some had to park out in the street.  It looked like one of club tournaments.  And this was on a Wednesday morning!  Shocked  Shocked  Imagine what it's like on a weekend!

Driving around down there, it's very common to see several bass boats in tow throughout the day during weekdays.  Compare that with here, when, on that rare occasion, you see a bass boat in tow and you strain to check out the boat and truck driver to see if you know him - and often you do!

So ya, BASS ignores the west coast, save for a couple of token tournaments in Cali or Utah so they can call themselves "national", but so what?  In a way, it's kinda nice to be left alone.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo