Normal Topic Dworshak Reservoir fishing report (Read 1408 times)
Dipsnort
Ex Member

Dworshak Reservoir fishing report
08/30/04 at 18:06:44
Quote Print Post  
This place is so far into Eastern Washington, it's actually in Idaho.  Grin

That's where I was last week on vacation, and after 3 days of constant rain, often long periods of downpouring, I finally got to get out fishing on the reservoir.  Despite the rain, the water level was actually decreasing at the rate of several inches per day.

I spent the first day fishing along shore in search of smallmouths.  After trying several baits, I found dropshotting to be somewhat successful.  I discovered what appeared to be a 2" shad halfway down the gullet of one of them, so I had some success with an exact replica in a lipless rapala crankbait and also with a small white curly-tail grub.

The place was full of sharp-edged rocks, so I lost a few pieces of lead due to snags and such.  Nevertheless, I managed to boat about 20 fish, all from 7-11".  I don't know if it was the location, the (small) size, or what, but the coloration was unusual to me - lime green, gold, and white.  No dark greens in these fish at all.

The next (and last) day I was able to fish I drove a couple miles away to a different location and propelled my float tube out to a very small island out in the middle of the reservoir, thinking maybe the big fish would be on the rocky northern point that dropped off into deeper water.  I picked up another 15 smallmouths or so in that general area, but all were in the same size range.  I was really hoping to bring in the "big one", but I surely couldn't figure out where to find it.  Cry

All in all, it was a nice getaway for a week, and I managed not to fish for any slimers.  Wink  There were the occasional rising fish (which I assumed to be kokanee), but since my fly rod was in the truck, I stuck with the bassing.  Roll Eyes

And the good news is (Rob would be so proud) that I didn't damage any boat trailers all week long.  Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo