Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sawyer is on Fire (Read 3937 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Sawyer is on Fire
08/10/04 at 21:45:43
Quote Print Post  
Fished sawyer last night with a buddy of mine and we stuck over 25 bass from 1-4lbs. Even lost Mortimer on one deep dock on the north end. If you are to fish this lake anytime soon contact me through this forum and I will be glad to tell you where he is and what he wanted the most. Make sure you are throwing at least 15lb-20lb line. Yeah you can hook lots of dinks right now on the lighter stuff, but if you want to fish for the better fish use heavier line.
All were caught on the same bait. can you guess what that was?
RB

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Re: Sawyer is on Fire
Reply #1 - 08/10/04 at 23:13:46
Quote Print Post  
Russ,
Me and my father are going to sawyer tommorow night, because I did so well fishing off the bank last week. I was dragin a 176 on a light grub head through the rocks. Also a floating worm worked good before dark. So if you wanna tell me where mortimer is, I would be more than happy to try en give her a shot. I'm guessing some top water bait was your bait of choice, but there is many that can produce on any givin night, so I'll just take a shot in the dark and say you were throwing a small buzzbait.
c&r chad

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/11/04 at 00:28:26
Quote Print Post  
Chad,

5" Senko's in watermelon and junebug. Mortimer is at the northend of the lake from the launch. In fact take a left out of the ramp if you facing the east and go towards the small bay at the north end go to the point on your right and go to the dock with the largest garage sitting on top of the dock its about 5-6 docks down from the point on your right. You can't miss it. Its about dead center of the lake. Throw the Senko way under the dock and let it sit there for a good 20 seconds. Bring it out real slowly and just twitch it every now and then. The toad I lost in there wants it dead sticked. Make sure you feel your bait and swing hard when she picks it up. I broke her off the first time and on the second pass she picked it up and swam right toward me. I set the hook and had her under the boat when she let it go. I believe the reason I lost her the second time was that she had the bait wedged in her mouth at a horizontal position and was never hooked.
The first dock on the point was where we caught the 4lber.

All of the better fish came in 10 feet or better in grass and in front of docks/underneath them.

Hope you catch her.
PS-This is where I caught the 8lb 8oz last year doing the same thing.
Russ

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/11/04 at 15:42:59
Quote Print Post  
Holy opportunity, Batmen!!  Shocked

Man, I've GOT to get out there and try for Mortimer!  8)

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/11/04 at 15:59:41
Quote Print Post  
Hey Russ,
Thanks a ton for the info. I'll let you know how it goes tommorow. I love working senkos, especially on bedding bass, I'm sold there is nothing better in that situation. We have had some really great senko days post spawn as well, especially at silver with the black with blue spots.
thanks again.....chad

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/11/04 at 16:59:06
Quote Print Post  
My buddy and I will be there tomorrow night.  Hopefully I can catch another hog.  Deadsticking the soft plastic was how I caught my 5lb bass last time too.  Thanks for the report.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/11/04 at 17:09:51
Quote Print Post  
The June Bug color Black with Blue spots and watermelon worked the best.
RB

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/12/04 at 17:27:10
Quote Print Post  
Well we fished sawyer from 5-9pm last night. We caught 24 bass. The biggest was between 3.5-4lbs, and a good pullin smallie. We caught two more decent ones, but the rest were less than 13 inches. They fell to drop shots, senkos, top waters, and floatin worms. Yes, the better fish were on deeper docks, in fact the big one came off a floating dock in 16 feet of water. we never did try for mortimor, but maybe next time......c&r chad

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/12/04 at 17:38:35
Quote Print Post  
[quote author=Chad S. we never did try for mortimor, but maybe next time......c&r chad [/quote]

That's because the guy in the red canoe was trying to catch Mortimer.  Unsuccessfully, I might add.  Wink

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/12/04 at 19:07:12
Quote Print Post  
Interesting,
My dad thought that was the right dock, but I convinced him it was at the other end of the lake. Oh well I guess im quite confused. It's funny because my dad said this is the dock, and that guy in the canoe must have read the same report. Well I hope you didnt feel crowded or anything, but after driving over an hour my dad was quite convinced at catching mortimor himself. That one I caught behind you guys was the one that went 3.5-4 lbs, and those secondary floating docks held better fish for us......tight lines .....chad

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/12/04 at 19:59:33
Quote Print Post  
I knew you were talking about the fish we saw you catch - it was a very nice one.

I was trying to convince my daughter to be more patient with her dropshot rig and possibly expect similar results, but kids lose interest quick unless they're catching something.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/12/04 at 21:32:05
Quote Print Post  
Hey Dipsnort...I guess I am just a kid. HAHAHA

Rich

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/13/04 at 15:10:23
Quote Print Post  
Fortunately though you catch two at a time.  Just look at your picture there.  Wink

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #13 - 08/20/04 at 22:32:47
Quote Print Post  
Water was crystal clear yesterday morning.  Made a rookie mistake by fishing too shallow.  After several hours of dinks, I managed 2 smallies measuring 16" and 17" in 12-15ft of water.  One hit a grub and the other a senko.  I caught the second one on the way back to the dock messing around talking on the phone to a buddy of mine about how slow it was and threw a senko next to one of those inflatable things and dead sticking it.  As my boat got closed to the lure, I lifted it to see if there was any weight and instead if it coming straight up, it went side ways a bit.  I set the hook and fought it while still on the phone. Grin

Another thing I learned yesterday was to change colors and lures if needed.  All my go to baits and colors failed.  There's a place and time for everything I guess.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo