Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Good Lakes in or near Pierce County (Read 3259 times)
jwalzer
Ex Member

Good Lakes in or near Pierce County
08/31/04 at 17:07:40
Quote Print Post  
Hello All.

I was hoping that some of you might give me a hand in identifying the best lakes in or around Pierce county to fish.  I live in Puyallup and have fished Spanaway quite a few times, Sammamish a couple of times, and most recently I have been out to Sawyer the last three weeks.  I think that I have had the best luck out on Sawyer, but even that was moderate at best.  It always seems like no matter where I go I always catch one or two decent size fish (3-4 pounds) and then a ton of dinks.  The last outting to Sawyer produced a 4 pound smallmouth, which is pretty good, but then only a handfull of other fish that were in the 1-1.5 pound range (and of course a ton of fish that were far smaller).

I just bought a boat 6 months ago, and have been out fishing as much as I possibly can and am getting a little frustrated at the quality of fish that I have been catching.  I know this is a tough time of the year, but if anyone has any hints, I would appreciate it.

BTW, I was thinking about joining the club, but don't know exactly how to go about that.  Should I just show up at the next meeting?

-jw

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Good Lakes in or near Pierce County
Reply #1 - 08/31/04 at 17:20:38
Quote Print Post  
Yes the best thing to do would be to stop by a meeting. Their is infromation on the home page. Those are three good lakes. I haven't been to Spanaway, but hear it can be good. Sammamish has big fish, but can be tough at times. 3-4 pound smallmouth isn't bad. Those aren't bad largemouth either. I wouldn't expect to catch 3 or 4, 6lbers a day or anything. Their are numerous lakes in the Lacey, Olympia area. St. Clair, Black lake, and Lawrence are three that I have personally been too, but there are others. Good luck.

IP Logged

jwalzer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/31/04 at 17:44:22
Quote Print Post  
Well, I will definitely try to get up there during the next meeting to meet some of you.

I have heard of a lot of those lakes in the discussions on the forums, but haven't had a lot of time to look into them.  I usually like to stop by a lake first without my boat to check it out, and see if I'm even going to be able to launch there.  I actually work in Lacey, and have been by St. Clair and Long Lake, but I suppose I hadn't heard anyhing too spectacular about them, so I have been sticking to what I know.  Which as it turns out isn't all that much  Smiley

Thanks for the ideas, and hopefully I will see you at the next meeting.

-jw

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 08/31/04 at 18:46:21
Quote Print Post  
Patteson is right next to St. Clair and has a very healthy largemouth population (See the pic of Mark's hawg in the photo section of this site).

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/31/04 at 18:50:21
Quote Print Post  
jwalzer, come on down and join the club..or not.  HEHE

One of the reasons that we have informal fish-ins is to try different lakes in the area (Pierce, King, Whatcom, etc)  This gives us a chance to check out the different lakes.  It also gives us some knowledge about what to use.  When we get back together after the fish-ins we discuss what we were using and what worked the best for us.  (Oh yeah and eat some Brauts).

So come on down and check us out at the meeting.  Stop and see me at the meeting and we will try to get you set up.  No obligation.

Rich Grin

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/31/04 at 20:26:32
Quote Print Post  
Actually we are fishing St. Clair this weekend for a fish-in. Go to the calendar and click on the fishin on Sept 4th. It will give you the info you'll need.

IP Logged

jwalzer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/31/04 at 20:55:39
Quote Print Post  
Unfortunately, I don't know if I am going to be able to make it down there on Saturday.  Prior plans Friday night might make it a little difficult to make it to the boat launch by 5:30 am.  But then again, you've got to have your priorities, so you may see me out there anyway.   Grin

I went ahead and posted a picture of myself from Sawyer a couple of weekends ago.  Keep an eye out for me.  I'll be the one in the Ram with the Bass Tracker.  If I don't see you all out there, I will see you at the meeting in a few weeks.

Thanks for the invitation.

-jw

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/01/04 at 05:38:52
Quote Print Post  
Since you work in the Olympia area, I'd zig up to the lakes around Shelton and West of Bremerton. Nehwatzel, Isabella, Mason, Long are all good lakes. Mason Lake has Smallies, not sure about Long. There are some other good lakes in that area.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/01/04 at 20:12:23
Quote Print Post  
Dont forget about Lost lake. We fished a few lakes around shelton, and that was by far the best, and it has great structure.
c&r chad

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/01/04 at 20:36:21
Quote Print Post  
I drive down to Lost Lake all the time, but I can't ever find it!  Wink Grin

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/01/04 at 23:14:17
Quote Print Post  
We also tried limerick once, with absolutely no fish, but we fished in tough conditions......but I herd of some nice ones coming from there....chad

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo