Normal Topic What? No info about J&J Tourney? (Read 1670 times)
Rich
Ex Member

What? No info about J&J Tourney?
07/19/04 at 20:24:06
Quote Print Post  
What happened at the Jack & Jill Tourney?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Rich

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: What? No info about J&J Tourney?
Reply #1 - 07/19/04 at 22:07:36
Quote Print Post  
Well I'm not sure who will post the report, but I'll give you what I know. First off, the weather was hot!! Water temp was around 82-83 degrees.

First day turned out to be great for the Steffensons and Logstons. they both had 16lbs with 6 fish. The Steffensons lead by only a few ounces. The Walkers were in the 10 lb range. My wife and I had about 5.5 lbs and the Hollands had about a pound and a half.

Day two turned out to be tougher. Steffensons brought in 7-something pounds to win it. Logstons brought in a fish for like 12 ounces, but held on to 2nd. The Walkers had 6 for around 5 lbs. We had 4 and a half lbs with 3 fish (we had 4 but 1 jumped out of the bag into the water) and the big news for day 2 was the Hollands who doubled their weight to over 3 lbs with 6 fish!! Everyone stayed in the same place they ended in day 1. The Logstons (Lyle) had big fish with a smallie around 4.68  ounces or so just beating Mrs. Steffenson by 1 ounce. I think we had 2-3 dead fish.

It was a hot, tough lake but fun. Of course we had fun sitting around telling stories. The potluck was like a family Thanksgiving dinner as we all fit around 1 picnic table. I think everyone caught at least 1 fish. There were no blanks either day.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/19/04 at 22:23:04
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Rob.  Great overview.  It generally takes a few days for the "real" report to come out.  Sounds like it was a cozy time for all.

You must have had some good (read HOT) weather over there.  I know we did at Silver Lake.  High 80's.  Next time we take an air conditioner or get a motel room.  I keep saying that my idea of camping is Motel 6.  LOL

Rich

P.S.  What did you think of the Lake itself?  What kind of fishing was best and where?  Were the fish that were weighted in the only ones caught or did you get a bunch of dinks also?

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/04 at 01:50:14
Quote Print Post  
Weather was near 100 saturday and didn't go below 70 or so at night.  Sunday was a little cooler because of the brief thunder shower before blast off.   Fishing on Saturday was phenominal, unlike it has been the past few times I've been over there.  Talking to the Logstons and Walkers their pre-fishing was similar to mine, abismal.  Too bad more couples didn't come.  Like Rob stated, couldn't have had a better time with everybody!  My wife is the one who pulled us through with a 4-11 smallie and two over 3.  I had a 3 and some 2's along with a few smaller ones to fill in.  I kept telling her with 16 or so pounds nobody would be anywhere close considering I think it was like 15 or 16 lbs. to win 4 years ago.   I was wrong Lyle and Andrea where almost dead on with us.  Kind of spectacular really.  I was really sweating on Sunday only having 6.5 pounds in the boat.  I just knew they would have it now.  The fishing was definately tougher for everybody Sunday.  Turns out we had a good day after all.  Thanks to the Walkers for a great job on running the tournament, real professionals.

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/20/04 at 15:10:38
Quote Print Post  
Well Rich we were allowed to weigh in any size fish so the biggest dinks were weighed in. My first time on the lake so I learned water as I went along. I was able to get a 3.68 largie though and some dinks plus a 3.6 walleye. Terry and Lyle obviously knew some good spots and yarded them. The bite just shut down the second day. I stumbled across Lyle's day 1 spot, but the fish were tough. I looked at some other water and found a sharp break line from 2-3 ft into 20. I caught 2 and my wife 1 in about 10 minutes there. I saw a group 0f 8-9 smallies cruising the breakline but couldn't get any takers. Slow plastics was what I believe most of us fished. I am not sure how Walker caught his.

I thought the lake was nice though. There is some potential for good bags, and big enough to spread out.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo