Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lake Washington (Read 4756 times)
Nick
Ex Member

Lake Washington
07/06/04 at 04:05:43
Quote Print Post  
Hey got my new boat in Washington for the first time! It was a bit choppy out their with all the boat traffic! I fished under the lake Union bridge with my dad! I caught 4 dincks under the bridge. Then we moved out to webster point. My dad caught about a 2.5lb smallie two docks before the big gazeebo thing. Were I hear the hose lady is! then two docks after that I lost about a 1 pounder then at the same dock caught another 10in dincker!

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Lake Washington
Reply #1 - 07/06/04 at 19:28:58
Quote Print Post  
Sounds like a good time, Nick! Thanks for the report  Grin

Although you will probably treat your boat better than I treated mine at times, here is a little tip for Tracker owners: Don't push your boat too fast through chop, especially on Lake WA, where waves seem to come from all directions. The nature of aluminum is that it wants to flex and crack in the weak areas, usually right next to rivets and/or welds. I learned the hard way and had to get some expensive welds.

So when its choppy out, take a deep breath, enjoy the fresh air, and ease 'er on back at about 20 mph.

If you already knew this. Never mind, then.  Cheesy

Chris

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/08/04 at 04:15:07
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Sarge,
Just to let you know I'm a little ticked at my father at the present time. He's taking my boat as if it's his own. asking me if it's okay if he can take out and such. Oh he also took over the controls at washington and let it rip at full speed when I didn't even have any of the rods taken care of. Plus I'm the one who bought the boat so shouldn't I be driving. He all most allowed my rod with my curado reel blow out.

Thanks for letting me vent
See ya

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/08/04 at 05:54:07
Quote Print Post  
Nick, as a fellow tin (tracker) owner, and a ex-Boeing employee, I say rivets are made to be replaced so knock yourself out with your new boat.  It's a consist battle to keep my boat water tight.  The good news is that the Panacea is back on the water.  The bad news is that Momma put the kabash on the J & J due to $ issues.  I looking forward to seeing you on the water.  If your dad wears a skirt maybe you can take my place at Moses Lake...

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/08/04 at 13:45:41
Quote Print Post  
You can vent whenever you want, Nick. Hehehe.

Oh ya, don't listen to Doug unless he is going to let you pull up to the Boeing shop and use the rivet guns and welding machines!  Wink

Chris

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/08/04 at 13:50:42
Quote Print Post  
YES, there is a God.  HAHA Nick,  this is the payback for all of the kids that always want to borrow OUR car or boat.  The shoe is on the other foot.  Hhhmmm, maybe I should have said the glove is on the other hand...  Oh well you know what I mean.

All seriousness aside Nick, congrats on the boat and just remember those famous last words, "You had better not bring it back on EMPTY, Son,  I mean DAD!!!" Shocked Grin Roll Eyes

Rich

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/08/04 at 19:29:30
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the report.  It was tough for me too on Tuesday with the wind and rain.  Took a beating on my new G3 boat.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/08/04 at 19:30:27
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Guys

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #8 - 07/08/04 at 21:07:29
Quote Print Post  
Rivets are easy to replace, it's the welding that's a problem....an expensive problem.... and hard to find somebody who can do the work.  Even then, the hull isn't that thick - not very good for welding. Plus the internal foam melts if luck is on your side, catches on fire if not.  Shocked

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/09/04 at 02:28:53
Quote Print Post  
Well if any of you other tin boat owners need a welder! Tell me! My uncle a good welder! He used weld boats for a living! Then I know a guy well he's the guy I work for he's a mobile welder! so If you need anyone I've know people who can help

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/09/04 at 02:44:30
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys
What kind of sealant would you guys suggest for a leaky rivet.

Thanks

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/09/04 at 03:12:03
Quote Print Post  
Nick,

If you can access the rivet from inside, the best thing might be to try hammering the rivet from both sides at the same time and mushrooming it. It's ugly, but works pretty well. Every sealant I tried seemed to wear out over time.

Ron H. used some stuff he called "gutter tape" (I think... maybe he can correct me) on an aluminum hull, and it seemed to seal really well.

Chris

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/09/04 at 03:24:51
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Sarge

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/09/04 at 14:13:47
Quote Print Post  
Hhhmmm, might be a good idea to always be chewin' some gum!!  But don't use the sugar free stuff.  It doesn't stick too good.

Give 'em hell, Neal Grin

Rich

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/09/04 at 16:35:28
Quote Print Post  
Hey Nick,
  Back to Dad taking over your boat on Washington.  Some advice for you, buy Dad a brand new set of golf clubs and set him up a Tee time!  Aren't Dads supposed to be golfing anyway?  Congrats on the new flotation device!  About all this rivets and welding, we need to remember that leaks are going to happen.  The rougher you are on it, the faster it'll leak.  Unless you're in a tournament, what's the hurry?  My old Tracker was 10 years old before the leaks took over.  Don't take all this too seriously or stress about it.  Enjoy the sport and remember, a boat is a tool.  Does a mechinics tools look brand new forever? Not if he uses them!!  Have fun, RON

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo