Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Keel Protector (Read 3965 times)
Hawkeye
Ex Member

Keel Protector
06/23/04 at 01:26:46
Quote Print Post  
I am thinking about getting a Keel Protector for my boat. I would like some opinions and suggestions.  What brand is best, where is a good place to have one installed and what is a good price to pay.

Hawkeye.....

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Keel Protector
Reply #1 - 06/23/04 at 01:53:01
Quote Print Post  
Hamby's, hands down.  I think mine was like $300 - $400 and was factory installed, but I'm sure any reputable bass boat dealer can install (Ranger, Skeeter, ProCraft, Triton, etc).

What kind of boat do you have?  I suggest you take it to that dealership to have it installed.

IP Logged

Hawkeye
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/23/04 at 02:17:31
Quote Print Post  
Glenn, I have a Stratos boat that I bought from Tri-State Marine in Nampa, Idaho. I was hoping I could get one installed locally. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hawkeye

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 06/23/04 at 03:05:04
Quote Print Post  
As far as customer service and reputation goes, my recommendation would be Nixon's Marine (Yakima) or Spokane Valley Marine (Spokane). 

I don't know much about All Marine in Nisqually (just north of Olympia/Lacey), but they do sell/install Hamby's (and Skeeter/Champion).

Smitty is the Stratos guru in our club, and also has a professional relationship with Hamby's.  He may be able to set something up for you.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/23/04 at 12:56:55
Quote Print Post  
The closest dealer for a Hambys is Angler's Marine, located at 14606 South Pacific Ave. in Spanaway.  The hours are 9-6 and the number is 253/548-2232.  There are also dealers in Port Orchard, Lakewood and Olympia.  The cost for a 6' Hambys, the standard setter for beaching bumpers, is about $400.00 + tax installed.  
As I stated on their web-site;
"Feel free to post my comments regarding the durability and genuine"toughness" of a Hambys . . .  I don't have any problem at all endorsing a superior product that lives up to, in fact surpasses it's claims. . . Recently I was about to drop my partner off at the ramp to get the truck & trailer so we could load out.  The dock was crowded with a bunch of small sailboats being operated by the local Sea Scout troop so I was unable to pull up to it to let my partner off the boat.  I decided to ease up on the rough concrete ramp next to a bassboat that was also loading out.  Since my hull is black and so is the Hambys, he could not see that I had one on.  You can imagine the look on his face when I put the boat on the ramp as his eyes got about 3 times larger than normal.
I just looked over at him and said, "Hambys".  His reply was a envious
"Oh". and then "How much?"

Jim Smith
Auburn, WA.

The product has a lifetime warranty against  failure or delamination.  I regularly beach my 201 Pro XL on concrete ramps, and yet there is not even any abrasion marks on it.
For more information visit the web-site at WWW.hambys.com or call 800/742-2813 and talk to Rodger Sutterwhite.  Please mention my name if you do. Smiley

Smitty
Wink
« Last Edit: 06/25/04 at 04:03:30 by »  

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/23/04 at 13:13:32
Quote Print Post  
You sound like Roland Martin.

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/23/04 at 16:02:12
Quote Print Post  
No he didn't.  He would have had to say "Oh man, I have a monster fish on!  It's a monster!  It's a monster!  Oh man, what a monster!  Son!  Look at that fish, it's a monster!  Son!  Oh man, it's gotta be 8 lbs!  It's a monster!  Son!"

And then he would have had to get it on his digital scale, which would have read 6 lbs. and say "look at that, it's almost 8 lbs!  It's a monster!  Son!"

Then he could have broke for another commercial.  Grin

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/24/04 at 22:18:49
Quote Print Post  
Don't forget the .....

6..7..8lb (always a 3lb range - plenty of margin for error that way)

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/25/04 at 02:28:23
Quote Print Post  
Faz, actually 6-8 lbs is a two pound range, but who's counting? Just hope Sarge can't count the beers he's buying me at the Dam Pub.

Back to the subject. I believe Scott Ramirez put a Cabela's beaching bumper on one of his boats, maybe the first Ranger? It's a DIY job, about half price, as I recall. Somebody had a Hamby's put on at All Marine, and I seem to think it was Smitty. The only boat I'd not suggest a Hamby's on is a Nitro. You don't want to put on a $400 Hamby's, have the hull fall apart, and be replaced under warranty.  Angry 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/25/04 at 04:01:52
Quote Print Post  
I have a Keel Gard on my ProCraft and it is awesome...Nixons did it when I ordered the boat and I believe I paid $220.00 for the part and they installed it free with the boat purchase.

IP Logged

Hawkeye
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/25/04 at 21:19:09
Quote Print Post  
Glenn, I just checked with All Marine & they said they can install a Hamby's for $399. The only color they have in stock is Black. I am concerned what it would look like since my hull is White. They said most everyone puts a Black one on. What color do you have??

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #11 - 06/25/04 at 23:20:00
Quote Print Post  
Black.   Cheesy

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/26/04 at 13:52:29
Quote Print Post  
The black protector look quite good in contrast to a white hull.  Jim Ruman currently has a black one on his 2001 Cobra and I had one on my 2000 Cobra.  both have white hulls.  If you opt for a white protector, rember that over time the white will discolor somewhat due to sun fade, and water stain.  the result in a "dingy" looking strip down the middle of the hull vs. a contrasting one.

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

topjimmy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/27/04 at 02:45:36
Quote Print Post  
I SLEEP WITH MY HAMBIES! Kiss

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/27/04 at 13:29:53
Quote Print Post  
You'll have to do better than that to fish the jack & Jill Jimmy. Grin

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo