Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Humble pie at the fish in? (Read 5625 times)
FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Humble pie at the fish in?
06/15/04 at 00:21:34
Quote Print Post  
YA RIGHT! That humble pie tasted like sweet victory! First I gotta say thank you to Jon for taking me out on his boat and beinga  great captain.  He put US on the fish, but only one of us really got into 'em.

We started fishing the banks and docks with little success.  Jon finally got a largemouth that disappeared when you turned it sideways on a senko in some pads.  After that we ran back to some rocky bottom banks.  Jon pitched under docks, and I used some SoCal skillz to crank my jerkbait through a little deeper water and picked up a smallie.  Later on did the same in some shallower water for another smallie.  Jon later lost his jerkbait to a musky in a really nice area that surprisingly didnt produce. 

We ran back for some lunch and being the only hardcore fishermen, haha, we went back out while everyone else went hope to nap and rest up, haha.  We went back out to some docks that were recomended at lunch and going through them i cast ahead of the boat on a nice dock corner.  Jons line snagged mine and by the time we got it off I had a nice smallie on my hulla grub.  It was under the boat and i flew from the back to the front and got it out and threw him over.  Im sending pics of this one to Jim to see if he can post 'em.  Next dock over, Jon missed a spot by a boat and i crawled my hulla grub through and, bam, another smallie.  Topped off with this wierd creature you folks call rock bass and we called it a day. 

I warned you guys, but you just didnt listen.... and poor Jon had to be the inncoent bystander.  But I gotta thank him again for his captaining.  Now everyone who wants some of this form a single file line right here.  Im going back to Cali this weekend to do some actual, i mean salt fishing, but after that Im free any weekend, both days, and sometimes fridays depending on the 9-80.  Who's next?

In the words of my beloved governor, "Asta-laveesta....baby."

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Re: Humble pie at the fish in?
Reply #1 - 06/15/04 at 00:24:24
Quote Print Post  
Jim, couldnt find your email to send you pics.  send me one with yours, astrebel45@aol.com or ashajanian@aol.com and ill get em to you. thnx

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/15/04 at 12:47:57
Quote Print Post  
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

PLEASE SPARE US!!

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/04 at 13:52:10
Quote Print Post  
A fish-in is one thing...winning a tournament is another. Walk away with a few of these and you can have your pie and eat it too.

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

I see you have forgoRe: Humble pie at the fish in?
Reply #4 - 06/15/04 at 14:34:57
Quote Print Post  
I see you have forgotten who explained where to fish this lake for you first timers.I have been known to fish this lake once or twice.At the brake at lunch time who told you to fish docks and was questioned. Oh ya it was the Champ 206 that had 5 fish in the am with 2 fish of 3+lbs in the am.
I have seen alot of realy good fisherman fish this lake without a bite.
I am sure you will use your Cali know how and show us how to catch fish, That,s right I and from Cali.
Please remember this is all in fun.
Champ 206

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/15/04 at 14:58:16
Quote Print Post  
I know Champ. You did give some great advice.  But see, that doesnt count for the WA side, cause deep down inside your Californian! But we cant compare apples and oranges here. Me and Jon were on the same boat so all other comparisons are invalid! haha.

As for some soCal skills, I need to teach you fellas how to dropshot, while you help me adapt to pitchin around all the docks you guys have. 

Champ, I still dont understand how you could have left the salt...haha. Goin back this weekend to get me some albacore and yellows!! Let me know if you ever need a fishing buddy and I'll promise not to give you too much of a hard time.

(btw, Im sorry but what was your name again? Ive met a million new people and can't keep track...)

"I'll be bak,"
Arvin

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #6 - 06/15/04 at 16:00:05
Quote Print Post  
Champ 206 is John Holland

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #7 - 06/15/04 at 16:02:40
Quote Print Post  
BTW. Drop shot was working great a month ago when the water was colder in Tapps.

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/15/04 at 16:28:44
Quote Print Post  
Its got such great shallow water cover and structure, but we didnt see much if any life. I did see one fat 5# cruising but that was it. In about 5-15ft is when the dropshot excels.

btw, what where you dropshotting? You guys use Roboworms much? Seems you guys love the Yammies, ever tried the flattail, or have any idea if anyone around carries 'em?

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/15/04 at 16:45:21
Quote Print Post  
You must have dropshotted deeper than that if from SoCal. We used to fish in 20-30 ft of water regularly.

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/15/04 at 16:53:00
Quote Print Post  
Ya, I have, but I, personally, find it as an awesome shallow water bait/technique and I just about never use it as a vertical presentation like it was first designed for.  Plus our lakes are a little different in contour and what not.  Dropshot works great a few feet out from some of the walls and drop offs we have. And it works great when you have a nice channel forming at the end of a cove.  Id give you examples but Ive only fished Tapps so not much I can compare it to, but Ill tell you that its just as good if not better as a completely horizontal presentation...

Nevermind, I just remembered that you had said a while back you had lived in SoCal. Im talkin bout Castaic, but mostly Pyramid Lakes. Thats where you can really put the dropshot to work in some creatibe ways.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/15/04 at 21:13:08
Quote Print Post  
Some of us regularly fish Shasta & Orovile which allows for several interesting ways to use a drop shot rig.  By the way we've been using a horizontal presentation with drop shot rigs for years Shocked, especially when we have a little current or some wind that allows the rig to spread out.

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/15/04 at 22:31:14
Quote Print Post  
Dropshotting... Dang, asian commercial fishermen were using that rig for bottom fish in Washington decades ago!!!

HAR HAR. LOL.  Roll Eyes  Grin

Chris

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/16/04 at 04:46:33
Quote Print Post  
dropshotting is definitely not new up here - fish have been caught from 2ft to over 70ft all times of the year in several lakes across the state, but if you have some subtle secrets to add to the pool of dropshotting skills this club has...out with it!!!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/16/04 at 10:57:48
Quote Print Post  
Love Robo's!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo