Normal Topic Bizarre Bass (Read 2524 times)
Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Bizarre Bass
06/14/04 at 03:19:41
Quote Print Post  
Keri and I fished Goodwin this weekend and were privvy to an unusual spectacle - a bass chasing ducks!

Yes, you read that right.  We spotted about a 4 lb bass cruising in very, very shallow water (looked like jaws with a dorsal fin out of the water), as he chased a momma duck and 2 chicks out of the water that were at the water's edge. 

Just as soon as the bass would back off, the ducks would move back in.  Back the bass came charging as the ducks retreated to dry ground.  Again and again this happened.  It was really quite surreal.

After awhile, the ducks left, but the bass kept cruising the shallows - very pissed off and looking for targets.  He slapped at the lures we threw at him, but wouldn't take them (we even foul-hooked him briefly twice).

Turns out, after some observation with piqued curiousity, this bass was guarding a cloud of nearby fry.  So we let him go about his business.

That was one onry bass!  I can see it now... "When Bass Go Bad..."

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Bizarre Bass
Reply #1 - 06/14/04 at 15:26:32
Quote Print Post  
Way cool!

From working at the school hatchery a lot this year, I found that ducks are pretty good fish eaters. You don't really think of them that way, but they can eat a lot of fry if they try!

Chris

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/14/04 at 16:43:06
Quote Print Post  
Cool !!!!!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/14/04 at 19:55:26
Quote Print Post  
I read this article in Bassmasters. Maybe some of you read it. They have this biologist that writes on there now and then. They have a pond and study bass. In part of this pond is another little pond connected by a small channel. They call it the ICU pond or something. 

Anyhow he said that in the late fall or winter they noticed bass in the ICU pond which was uncommon that time of year cause of the shallow water. There were some robins on the water's edge. This 4 lb bass jump clean out of the water, snatched this bird and beached himself. Then shook himself back into the water. All that was left were some feathers.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/14/04 at 20:43:14
Quote Print Post  
Cheesyawesome Glen, Awesome!...One word,  BUZZBAITTIMEBUZZBAITTIME!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/15/04 at 14:05:43
Quote Print Post  
Virg....thats like 3 words, repeated. What's up?

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/15/04 at 14:24:38
Quote Print Post  
He s-s-t-utter-s-s

Rich

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/17/04 at 00:26:07
Quote Print Post  
Angrya -a- I- d- d- do- knooot! Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo