Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Line help (Read 6033 times)
RonKnott
Ex Member

Line help
05/17/04 at 02:27:36
Quote Print Post  
I thought about listing this under The Rev's line question but I have several more general questions.  (typical newbie stuff).

What line do you guys prefer for each application?  I have a spinning reel I use for plastics and I know I need line with low memory but I don't know how that plays with low visibility, stretch, sensitivity, and everything else, and what I am giving up to get something else?

I am also wondering what I should put on my crank bait rod/reel.

While we are at it how often are you guys putting new line on.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Line help
Reply #1 - 05/17/04 at 03:01:28
Quote Print Post  
I use three types of line......
1...Fireline for flipping and pitching in 8 lb diameter but 25 lb test cuts through lily pads and light brush and will pull up a log if need be!

2...Twelve pound mono for baitcasters.......now I use Izorline mono in green color and am comfortable with it. Confidence will dictate which brand you choose....I like its resistance to abrasion and castability.

3...8 pound test for spinning rods also in green for my visibility if not for the fish..still strong but thinner dia. cast far and knotts well without being brittle.
Now there is one thing I do...I change line frequently as I fish frequently so i buy line in the 4400 yard spools (12lb.) and the 7200 yard spool..(8lb.) so fresh line should be a factor to consider. Hope this helps and see ya at the meeting!

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/17/04 at 04:56:02
Quote Print Post  
I've not been too happy with the Spectra and MicroDeema lines. Good copolymer is hard to beat. If you can see green mono, McCoy's is excellent. I can't, so I use Pradco Excalibur (spinning) or Super Silver Thread (baitcasters), also excellent stuff. I'd consider going with Izorline for baitcasters, recently put it on my crankbait reel. Neither type Izorline is worth a darn on spinning reels. Mostly, I use Pradco lines, and buy them in mini-bulk spools or bulk spools, 'cause they're cheap that way. Another factor is that because the spool is larger diameter, there's less curl in the line to start with.
C&R, Steve
« Last Edit: 05/18/04 at 02:06:37 by »  

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/04 at 06:31:30
Quote Print Post  
My own favourite line for spinning reels and soft plastics is Maxima - I use 6lb Ultragreen for most applications except around rocks where I use 6lb Chameleon instead. The Ultragreen is very low memory but not as abrasion-resistant as the Chameleon which disappears in water really fast.

Faz

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/17/04 at 12:42:44
Quote Print Post  
I follow Larry's practice bt instead of
FireLine or Powerline, I have started using Stren Superbraid, which  prefer.  It doesn't fade and seems tp hold it's round shape better.  For bait casters I've started using 12 lb. P-Line flourocarbon for it's abrasive resistance and ability to penetrate a little deeper than conventional mono. It is slowly replacing my McCoy.  As for my spinning setups I use either P-Line Flouroclear or Excaliber in 8 lb test.  Like Steve, I also purchase my spinning line in mini-bulk spools to help allevate the memory and twist problems. Roll Eyes

Smitty
Wink  

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/17/04 at 13:55:01
Quote Print Post  
For my cranking rod, which I use a lot, you can't go wrong with a premium 12 lb line. I have used many different brands, and all have been usable. Some cast nicer then others. I bought a bulk spool from Bass Pro Shops and it has been great. I also use this line on spinnerbaits. Sometimes you can go down to 10 lb for smaller cranks or deeper depths, but you have to be careful as it will snap easier on big fish.

Some people can't stand flouracarbons on spinning reels because it loops off the spool. I haven't had too many problems, but can understand where they are coming from. The chameleon line from Maxima that Faz uses it good. I have had a spool of that on for too long, but it still handles great.

The superbraids are also good for carolina rigging. Use a flouracarbom or mon leader though. The sensitivity is great for feeling the bottom.

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/04 at 15:30:55
Quote Print Post  
I use 30 lb power-pro on weightless, texas, and caralina rig.  Its very very tough and it will skip a mile.  And it hasnt broken off on the rocks like fireline has done to me a bunch.  Although fireline is great for weeds and wood.  But power pro is alot more abraision resistant.  You can also see the line easy,  ive been fishing it in very clear water (meridian, goodwin, morton) in the last week and a half and i have caught several  big and small fish so i dont think seeing the line bugs them.

8-12 lb triline xt for crankbait and jerkbait works just as good as anything else ive tried.

I use 25lb triline big game on my flippin pole.  It works great and its cheap in the bigger spool.

I use both izor and p-line on my drop shot 6 - 8 lb.  Both are very tough lines.  Although, they start to twist up after 3 or 4 hard days fishing.

Just a note about tying power pro. (the best knots that ive found) The palomar works great but has 2 problems. 1. If you dont leave a long enough tab; the line (can) slip out some times (about 3/8 to 1/2 tab works). 2. Sometimes if you snap a hook set real hard it will cut at the knot..  

I havent had problems with the improved clinch not as of yet although it takes alot longer to tie and i just started tying it.

And dont even try to tie a knot that isnt doubled through the eye! it just doesnt work and you will get real frustrated, and the line IS  EXPENSIVE!
« Last Edit: 05/17/04 at 16:44:46 by »  

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/04 at 02:39:59
Quote Print Post  
Well, I broke down and bought a spool of 15 lb Power Pro today at Auburn. It's supposed to be 4 lb diameter. What would you suggest using it for? Be nice! I'm thinking of Drop Shot or unweighted Senkos. I also have half a spool of 12 lb test Cabela's "Evolution", which is like Fireline, but green (for awhile). I used it for light C'rigging, but suffered sensory overload...felt everything...but couldn't tell the fish from everything else.  

Most these knots can be "doubled". With the Clinch, you put two loops around the hook eye. With the Palomar, you put the loop through the circle twice, instead of once, before dropping the hook through the loop. I'm gonna try the doubled Palomar, and will report after testing.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

RonKnott
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/20/04 at 00:57:48
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for all the help!  One more follow up question.

Several of you guys are talking about buying line in bulk.  How are you spooling your line to get the correct tension?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/20/04 at 01:49:03
Quote Print Post  
I use an un-scientific method of a tennis shoe lace thru the spool and tied to a chair back and monitor tension with my fingers........as for spinning reels...I just set the spool on the floor and start reeling and stop suddenly and if the line loops up I flip the spool onto the opposite side and it spools up fine!
Simplicity is a wonderful thing!

IP Logged

RonKnott
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/20/04 at 03:43:56
Quote Print Post  
someone told me to run it through the phone book (about 1/2 way) and that would put the correct tension on the line.  That worked okay but I wasn't watching close enough and I just about split the phone book in half   Grin

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/20/04 at 03:50:56
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys,

If some of you are using newer Shimano reels, a lot of those say you can spool them just like a baitcaster... Let the line run straight of the spool instead of the traditional looping off. I've been doing that with my sedonas and not having any twist problems.

Chris

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/20/04 at 13:49:36
Quote Print Post  
Well I have never heard of correct or incorrect line spooling tension. I don't think they sell a gauge or anything. Just a little pinch between the fingers and your good to go. The way you fish will change the tension anyhow. If you crank, your line will spool to whatever tension the bait puts on it. If you drag a worm, probably less tension. Its not a science.

As for the loops in spinning gear. I have always heard of laying the spool on the floor and turning it over if you get a loop, but you have to turn it over the right direction or you add a half a loop. I always looked at it this way. When your fishing...you want nice straight line, right? Well hold the spool straight line a baitcaster and reel. The line comes off in the opposite direction. No matter what, you will end up with twists after awhile. If you take something thats coiled and pull it straight, like when casting, the loops just pull tight.

At the end of the day, do the line drag behind the boat and you'll be fine. Or tie to a swivel in the campground, let the line out. Leave a little slack and reel while bouncing rod tip. the swivel will turn out most of the loops.  

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/20/04 at 16:07:45
Quote Print Post  
rob ill have to try your swivel to get the twist out at the end of the day. that sounds pretty spiffy.

to put my line on a baitcaster.   i put an towell on the floor with a ink pen throught the hole.  then i put the pen to the side of each foot and put pressure just by raising and lowering my feet.   Its really easy.

I havent had a loop as long as the line is running from the top of the spool.

openface:  i run the line through the pole and use the same rag to grab the line just under the first eye.  just squeeze the rag and away you go.  Unless your a masochist and just use your fingers(ouch!).

Although i think rob is right about the first cast taking out most of or adding to the pressure on the line.  BUT, i think the base of the spool needs to be tighter to keep the line from sinking in if you get a hang on something or a big fish.

Steve, Ive wanted to put the smaller power-pro on a drop shot but i havent yet. I havent even tried any under the 20lb test on, so Let me know how it does.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo