Normal Topic Cranking Suspended or on bottom? (Read 2189 times)
Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Cranking Suspended or on bottom?
05/13/04 at 18:50:03
Quote Print Post  
Ive notice that up through the spawn  i can catch smallies out as deep as 4 to 12 ft on suspended jerk and crankbaits ;  

but after the spawn i cant catch squat unless my crankbait is bouncing  or ticking on the botton.

Has anybody else experienced this and why do you think that this is or isnt true?  
« Last Edit: 05/14/04 at 14:46:35 by »  

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Re: Cranking Suspended or on bottom?
Reply #1 - 05/14/04 at 14:44:13
Quote Print Post  
No responses at all,  Doesnt anyone use suspended crankbaits and jerkbaits during spawn and post spawn?
« Last Edit: 05/17/04 at 14:42:47 by »  

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/14/04 at 15:11:17
Quote Print Post  
Hey Dave...did'nt know the Timeline for responses.... Grin
I would venture to guess that during the spawn when you use a jerk bait or crank on breaklines near spawning areas you have a concentration of staged fish you do not have at any other time of the year and that these fish are edgy and confrontational in their habits and more prone to reaction biting. hope that helps and is not too late! Cheesy

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/14/04 at 16:59:59
Quote Print Post  
My take is pretty much the same as Larry's.  It would seem to me that in the pre-spawn and spawn phase, the fish are more agressive and on the prowl for cruising prey.  However, once the spawn is over they turn most of their attention to the dinner table on the bottom, and the now fully emergent crawfish.  The crawfish represent to the bass, a table fare that is akin to Larry's beeine-weenies or the Faz's marianated Tri-tips. Shocked  Moreover, foraging deeper near the bottom, gives the bass more of a sense of security, vs. cruising higher in the water column.

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/14/04 at 18:12:16
Quote Print Post  
DITTO

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/14/04 at 23:28:47
Quote Print Post  
thanks that sounds logical to me.  thanks for your speedy responses.

hey 8 to 9 hours should be plenty shouldnt it. Shocked

Now is that ditto on the beenie weenies and tri tips?

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/15/04 at 02:21:36
Quote Print Post  
All of it!
What they said!!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo