Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Centrifugal or magnetic? (Read 7577 times)
Rich
Ex Member

Centrifugal or magnetic?
05/11/04 at 14:24:40
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys and gals,  was just wondering what your thoughts and experiences were regarding the difference between magnetic and centrifugal braking systems on baitcaster reels?

It seems that cost doesn't relate as I have seen high end reels with each system.

Rich

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Re: Centrifugal or magnetic?
Reply #1 - 05/11/04 at 15:10:16
Quote Print Post  
Rich, the two Citica reels I sold you have the Shimano variable braking system (VBS). VBS uses centrifugal force rather than magnets to aid in controlling the cast. When set, the individual brake weights are forced outward at the beginning of the cast when backlashes most often occur, causing friction that reduces the speed of the spool. Once the spool speed begins to slow, the pressure with which the brake weights contact the raceway lessens, allowing the spool to continue spinning. The result is a much more consistent spool speed that is easier to manage and takes advantage of the reel’s maximum casting distance. Settings range from zero weights turned on for true freespool or up to 6 weights turned on for extremely windy conditions and maximum cast control.
Does that sound like a line out of a Shimano commercial?  Well it almost is. Smiley  I answer that question about 100 times per show that I do for Shimano during the winter.  It almost becomes automatic. Roll Eyes
By this time next year I'll have all the info memorized on the new electronic braking system available on our top of the line reel. That is reall a departure from conventional braking systems, although it is based on the centrifigal brake concept. 8)

Smitty

Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin Wink Grin

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/11/04 at 18:42:31
Quote Print Post  
Does this electronic braking system have a computer chip in it.  Smitty

I havent seen these reels yet.

Rich i havent used a magnetic brake but ive really enjoyed my curado's in all weather conditions.  
I dont think that ive had to pull out all the clips but a couple of times and that was in severe wind conditions, and the brake worked great.
« Last Edit: 05/12/04 at 14:39:04 by »  

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/11/04 at 18:51:40
Quote Print Post  
Rich, I have Quantum reels of both types. My older CX501 and EX501 reels are 5 bearings with magnetic brakes and I got used to them and the fact they have a 10 or 12 step setting and each step is a noticeable difference. I recently acquired the new Quantum Accurist in both PT and non-PT models. They have moved from the Magnetic brake to a centrifugal brake system, and the cool thing is the brakes are adjustable without taking the covers off, just a dial action with 4 settings.

In all honesty, I think the Accurist PT is a phenomenal reel, and just love the Centrifugal brakes they have. Any time you want to make a comparison I'll let you throw a few of the reels and see what you think.

I think the Shimano system is pretty good too, I have thrown a couple of Shimanos with Centrifgual brakes, and not had backlashes like I used to. My vote is Quantum because of two factors, cost and the external brake adjustment. (purely a personal choice)

Faz

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/11/04 at 19:41:06
Quote Print Post  
Rich,
One has brakes with magnet, the other just has brakes.
HA!HA!!
RB

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/11/04 at 19:52:06
Quote Print Post  
The main problem with the centrifugal brakes, especially on my Citicas, is that you have to take the sideplate off to reset them and my OEN is even harder.  This is a pain when you decide to change lure sizes, ie weight.  Other then that they are pretty good.  But I do wish they had a calibrated dial on the outside.  Fishing, not necessarily catching, would be so much easier. (Darn you Smitty) Grin

It seems, so far, that not too many are impressed with magnetics.

I guess I will just have to take Faz up on his offer and throw his reels around.  Although I would rather try casting with them.

Rich

Russ, how is the arm?  Or have you found someone to give you a hand? Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/11/04 at 20:59:00
Quote Print Post  
Dave,
Here is a cut & paste from the website that explains it all.  You can access the info at Shimano.com and follow the links.  Grin 
The memory is stored in a very small chip that dictates to the capacitor (also small) how much current to discharge to the brake every 1/1000th of a second.  You should see the highspeed camera film of the line comming off the spool during a cast.  It looks like a weaving cobra as the chip detects the speed of the spool and applies a minute amount of stored current.  Shocked

"Traditionally, centrifugal and magnetic braking systems have been employed for baitcasting reels to control the speed of spool rotation and the energy from casting for better accuracy and to minimize backlash.
Introducing the revolutionary Calcutta TE® DC (Digital Control). This is the first, self-energizing digital braking baitcasting reel featuring 8 levels of pre-programmed braking modes based on lure and casting type.

During initial casting, the energy generated by the rotation of the spool is stored and used to power the digital braking system for subsequent casts. The Digital Control system of the Calcutta TE® DC is a self-energizing system, recharging with each cast. "

Casting Information

Casting Information
Typically, it takes approximately 0.07 seconds to reach maximum spool rotation from the point of release.

Reels, which employ conventional (Centrifugal or Magnetic type) braking systems to prevent backlash, operate efficiently around 20000rpm. With the digital braking technology employed by Calcutta TE DC, it is possible to allow spool
Rotation to exceed 30000rpm (50-70% increase) and still maintain excellent line control for longer, more accurate casts.

The Calcutta TE DC’s digital braking control system is designed with a very small time lag before the first application of the brakes. This is
done in order not to disrupt the energy used to generate initial velocity. Subsequently, digital technology that can apply brakes at intervals of
1/1000 seconds controls the line tension and stabilizes lure’s projectory thru the air.

By simply setting the 8-level selector dial, The Calcutta TE DC allows access up to 8 different modes of pre-programmed braking patterns based on lure type and casting method. Based
on a 6-second duration cast, the digital technology behind the DC digital braking systems allows the brakes to be applied in intervals of up to 1/1000 second. As the brakes
are activated, the digital brake system emits electronic beep sounds reinforcing the sense of
digital control.

With this technology, each of the 8 pre-programmed modes provide even better control of the feeding of the line by applying the
ideal amount of braking force at critical intervals. As a result, it is possible to achieve long, accurate casts [Initial spool rotation may exceed 30,000 rpm] with consistent backlash control. The application of fine braking control by the digital braking system quickly stabilizes
the spool rotation by quickly dropping it to around 20000rpm. Subsequently, digital control
varies the frequency of the brakes applied, minimizing the dreaded backlash.

The great thing about the Calcutta TE DC model is that reel maintenance is just like any other baitcasting reel, requiring no special treatment or maintenance.

Product Features
Digital Circuit is sealed to prevent moisture
intrusion and corrosion.
Braking Frequency: Updates Every 1/1000 of a Second.
Precision Machine Cut Aluminum Frame.
Rigid Aluminum Sideplates keep gears in precise alignment.
High Efficiency Gearing (HEG®).

Smooth & High Power Dartanium Drag Performance.

Super Free Pinion Gear System (SF™) eliminates friction between the pinion gear and the spool shaft for increased freespool.
Lightweight Aluminum Drilled Spool System to further enhance freespool.
Large Diameter Super Duralumin Main Gear for increased durability.
Super stopper anti-reverse.
10BB + 1RB A-RB® Anti-Rust Bearing.
0.35mm micro pitch Cast Control Knob witha high precision click sound.
Cold Forged Handle.
Recessed reel foot for excellent palmability and
comfort.

You too can own the PINNACLE of casting reel technology for only $499.95. Cheesy

Smitty

Wink Roll Eyes Wink Roll Eyes Wink Roll Eyes Wink Roll Eyes Wink Roll Eyes Wink Roll Eyes Wink Roll Eyes Wink Roll Eyes 

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/11/04 at 22:53:09
Quote Print Post  
thanks for the info,smitty. it sounds pretty slick.  Although ill have to wait until i get a city job to afford it! Shocked

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/12/04 at 00:00:26
Quote Print Post  
Rich,
The arm is back to normal for now after that Cortizone shot I had in January.
Russ

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 05/12/04 at 03:45:31
Quote Print Post  
Now to confuse you further - the Ambassadeur D-Series, which combines both magnetic and centrifugal together into one, and uses a single control knob on the side for adjusting.

Abu-Garcia just sent me one for field testing.  Being a devout mechanical brake-enthusiast, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of dealing with magnets.  However, early testing has shown I can throw those light Slug-Go's further than my other baitcasting reels with little or no backlashing.  It's a pretty lightweight reel too that fits nicely in my hand.

Am I impressed?  Not yet.  I haven't used it enough yet to convince me.  But, my initial reaction is that of surprise and intrigue.  It seems like a decent reel.

More info can be found at http://www.abugarcia.com/Splash_Detail.cfm

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/12/04 at 03:52:50
Quote Print Post  
Rich
As with most fishing tackle you will get a wide variety of responses (commercials) Grin,
it boils down to what you like and what you are comfortable with.
Glad I could make things easier for you Wink

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/12/04 at 14:52:58
Quote Print Post  
Forget all that brake stuff. Simply put.....that's what your thumb is for, ...........and a backlash pick!!

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/12/04 at 18:32:52
Quote Print Post  
Darn,  it looks like I created a monster.  Thanks for that info Smitty...but...but...but...I do have a City job and still can't afford $500 for a reel.  Wake me up when they are down to about $450...HAHA.   I guess I will wait till you have had a couple for a few months and then buy from you for $75. Wink

Glenn,  I would like to see that reel.  At about $100 it don't sound too bad.

Ron,  I got both and have to learn to use each Shocked

Rich

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/22/04 at 23:47:53
Quote Print Post  
IMHO, I think the two important things is that the baitcaster needs a one piece aluminum frame and centrifugal cast control. When I change baits, I  don't find it necessary to change the centrifugal, just the spool adjustment...not a big deal. Anyway, I don't find the Curado to be any problem to adjust. I can't get excited about the ease of adjusting centrifugal on my Calcutta, however, I have thrown 3/8oz cranks without using any thumb at all. It IS possible.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Sean The Arkie
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/25/04 at 22:08:16
Quote Print Post  
I'll guess that the electronics in the reel are waterproof.
I'm also assuming it runs off of batteries.

So when the batteries die, what happens?  Are the brakes applied with a dead battery, or are the brakes "loose" when the battery goes dead?  How easy is it to change the battery?

And if there's no battery, how the heck does this thing work???

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo