Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Question on DF&G Rules & Regs...Oy! (Read 3827 times)
S._Basser
Ex Member

Question on DF&G Rules & Regs...Oy!
04/13/04 at 00:30:19
Quote Print Post  
I was reading the '03/'04 DF&W regs, and spotted an interesting paragraph on p.20, bottom center. It says: "References in the Special Rules to 'motors prohibited' mean fishing from a floating device equipped with a motor is prohibited. "Internal combustion engines prohibited" means fishing from a floating device equipped with an internal combustion engine is prhoibited. 'Equipped with' means the motor is attached to the floating device, regardless of whether the motor is in the water."  End quote.

Ok, I understand this pretty well. It looks like they know the difference between an Internal Combustion Engine and an Electric Motor. Hooray!

However,  certain lakes have signs on the road to them that says (not verbatum): No Internal Combustion Engines allowed on this lake, by King County ordinance #-------/------.  The lakes I'm thinking of, Desire, Shadow, Shady, Spring (E. of Renton), Morton (E. of Kent), Holm (E. of Auburn) have these signs, but are not listed in the DF&W Regs as having special rules. Therefore, I take it that these lakes are "Electric Only" by County Ordinance, not DF&W regs.

The question, then, is what (in the heck!) are the County Ordinance's definitions as to what is legal for an "electric only lake"? I have always taken it to mean that if you aren't running the IC OutboardEngine, then you are legal, but after seeing this in the DF&W regs, I'm not so sure. Most of us have put our big boats in "Electric Only Lakes"; were we legal? If I can't do that anymore, I'm bummed. Chris? Anybody?
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Question on DF&G Rules & Regs...Oy!
Reply #1 - 04/13/04 at 00:50:13
Quote Print Post  
My understanding is that, yes, they changed it to make it clear that it means "no combustion engines" period.  So what you used to do before is now no longer legal.  Angry

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/13/04 at 02:25:33
Quote Print Post  
Hi Steve,

Somewhere on the forum here is a previous discussion of this issue. Jim Shaffer found the King County laws, and has them linked in that thread. I'm too lazy to find that thread, but may look after I type this.

After reading through those laws, it was clear that King County DOES NOT SAY you CANNOT have an internal combustion engine attached to the back of your boat for "No internal combustion engine" posted lakes. Go ahead and launch your boat on the lakes you listed.

The WDFW laws are like you said, only applied to lakes in the special rules section. The purpose of these is usually to give folks looking for a canoe/float tube-type experience a lake free of heavy boat traffic. Hence, there's only a few in there with this regulation. In fact, it's pretty dang rare when you consider how many small lakes are in our state.

To make a long post longer, the problem is that local homeowners don't understand the difference between state and county regulations. And you can end up getting hassled. To make it even worse, sometimes even law enforcement gets the regulations confused! I will continue to fish lakes with a IC engine-equipped boat (dang - need a boat) and would heartily challenge any ticket given to me by an officer. I have only heard of one occassion where someone was ticketed, and that was on Steele Lake. No bass in there anyways!  Grin

State reg = don't fish with IC equipment
King County reg = go ahead.

I haven't tried to figure out the other counties yet... Cheesy

Clear as mud,
Chris

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/13/04 at 02:30:35
Quote Print Post  
If that is the way it really is, then all I have to say is......OOPS

I guess I'll mail my check to the them in the morning.

I am not sure how tough they are on that though. I saw a warden at one of the "no fun lakes" and they didn't make any attempt to pull me off the lake. I would think that if it was a huge ticket or problem they would have waited for me to come in our something. Maybe they had something else to do and thought they would get me next time.

So my question is- Does anyone have a cherry picker to get my motor off my Stratos? Just for the afternoon.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/13/04 at 02:36:40
Quote Print Post  

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - 04/13/04 at 02:52:06
Quote Print Post  
Personally, I just assume avoid the whole situation.  I've been harrassed before by ignorant police - and that's when I had an old boat with a broken motor with no gas tank!!

If you feel it's worth taking time off work to fight a ticket in court, be my guest.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/13/04 at 04:45:23
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the quick end to my confusion. My problem is that sometimes, I just need to stay away from the PWC's and skiboat people, to relax. I could take the canoe, but sometimes my back doesn't feel like hoisting it, or sitting in it. Sometimes, I like the canoe, but sometimes would rather fish from the hydroblaster. Now I feel free to do that. Phew!

By the way, I have heard that there has been a major Waterskiing Tournament on Lk. Ballinger, sponsored by the Lions Club, who have their big Country Club on Ballinger, as you know. MAYBE the Lions Club has more suck than WBC, or just more $$$, but I guess if you pay for the permit, you can break the law, legally. And of course, they'd close the public access, which is provided by DF&W??? (never been there)   Every year, I tell the City of Renton that I don't like the Limited Hydro Races out of Coulon, closing my access to my launch, but they get money for the permit and the merchants get money from entrants and spectators, so it goes on. 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/13/04 at 04:46:18
Quote Print Post  
I've chimed in on this before.  My interpretation of the law is like this: 
There is no internal combustion engines allowed at all on the 10 or so lake specifically designated in the Wa state fishing rules and reg's. 
As for the rest of the lakes that have posted no internal combustion engines is a crap shoot.  It is supposedly up to neighborhood covenants and county jurisdication whether they want to pursue prosecution.  I fish the lakes off of Petrovisky Rd and so far I've had no trouble, but ultimately it's your word against the homeowners.  I've called justg about everyone and no one wants to commit to one way or the other.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/13/04 at 05:00:17
Quote Print Post  
I would guess that if you don't have the boat keys in the boat, it should be legal. Let the cops search the boat...insist on it. Homeowners can be ticketed for harassment, and a lot of them should be. I will say, however, that homeowner's react way better to a canoe, than a bass boat, even on lakes that allow IC engines.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/13/04 at 11:04:15
Quote Print Post  
Well I just skimmed over this post and want you all to know I have conclusive prof that will stand up in any court.
I looked up the king co boating regs and they have restrictions on lakes and the WDFW has restrictions on different lakes.
It boils do to what lake your fishing and who has the restriction,
I am bringing both to the meeting and will bring it up there and put a rest to this topic

IP Logged

Rob_Maglio
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/13/04 at 13:39:25
Quote Print Post  
Well I am a cop and wouldn't know what to do. Now I don't work as a King County Deputy, so I guess it depends on which Deputy would stop you. Most won't write you (a citation) if they aren't sure of the rules. they may just ask you leave or something. Some may say that they dont care if you aren't running the motor. The biggest problem would be with the homeowners pitchin a fit. This would make the police feel they have to do something. Since we are public slaves..I mean servants. An officer with Fish and Game might have a different look on it. i would say take your chances. Some of thes lakes are good fisheries, especially if gas goes to 5 bucks a gallon this summer. You can always play dumb, and see if it works. If you ask the right peolpe...you may get the right answer, and you might not like it. Dont ask, dont tell would be may view. know if I see WBC members I might cite you guys even out of my jurisdiction, to keep the water for myself....just kidding. I'll only cite Mike W.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/13/04 at 18:52:59
Quote Print Post  
LOL, Rob. It sounds like you have your priorities straight, dude!!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo